Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Entertainment

Pembrokeshire’s true tales echo on stage in ‘Farmers Townies and Grockles’

Published

on

THE ARTS organisation SPAN Arts is one of 16 UK organisations partnering with Unlimited, an arts commissioning body that supports, funds and promotes new work by disabled and neurodivergent artists for UK and international audiences.

The commission has been awarded to actor, writer and founder of Popty Ping Productions theatre company, Ceri Ashe to create ‘Farmers Townies and Grockles’, a bilingual play telling the true stories of the people of Pembrokeshire, directed by Anna Sherratt.

Verbatim theatre is made from real people’s words. Ceri Ashe (Bipolar Me, Tales of a New Normal, Lockdown Tales: Making Bread and Babies) has been holding storytelling workshops and interviewing people from across Pembrokeshire about their lives. These true stories have been woven together to create a tapestry of voices that explores what it means to be a resident of this rural county.

From farmers in Marloes, retired Welsh teachers in Cilgerran, barmen in Little Haven, to zumba instructors in Milford Haven – this exciting new show explores the themes of belonging, community and change.

It is also an honest look at the issues facing people in Pembrokeshire today: the lack of affordable housing, the decline in Welsh speaking communities, and the future of farming.

Ceri says: ‘I have always been intrigued by the diverse range of people Pembrokeshire is home to, and it’s been a delight to go out into the community to speak to people from north and south of the county to create this play. I’ve worked with SPAN previously to create online verbatim plays during lockdown, and it’s so exciting to now be able to create a live theatre show with a fantastic cast of professional and community actors all from Pembrokeshire.’

Bethan Touhig-Gamble director of SPAN arts mentions “Being part of the Unlimited Commission which champions disabled and Neurodivergent artists has supported SPAN to invest in the creation of this extraordinary new work. We are proud to be able to create platforms for diverse creatives in Pembrokeshire to tell their own stories and make work that is rebellious, radical, adventurous, inspiring, and playful.”

This eagerly anticipated production will be performed in community venues for two shows only:

  • Friday 22nd March – Ffwrn, 6 Main St, Fishguard SA65 9HH at 7:30pm (limited spaces)
  • Saturday 23rd March – Pill Social Centre, Cellar Hill, Milford Haven SA73 2QT 3:00pm
  • Pay what you can for this exciting new show!
  • Book your space via the SPAN Arts website span-arts.org.uk

 

Entertainment

Torch Youth brings fresh twist to Robin Hood legend

Published

on

More than 50 young actors will take to the stage at the Torch Theatre this July for a new version of one of Britain’s best-loved stories

Robin Hood: The Legend of the Black Knight has been written especially for Torch Youth Theatre and will run for three nights, from Monday, July 20 to Wednesday, July 22, at 6:30pm.

The production promises adventure, comedy, romance and mystery, while giving the classic tale a fresh Pembrokeshire stage treatment.

Director Tim Howe, who is originally from Nottingham, said the legend had been part of his life since childhood.

He said: “I grew up surrounded by the legendary tales of Robin Hood and his merry men — stories filled with bravery, rebellion and mischief.

“Add to that the brilliantly funny Maid Marian TV series with Tony Robinson, which kept me glued to the TV throughout my childhood, and you can imagine how deeply rooted all the versions of the Robin Hood stories are for me.

“It’s been great to explore them and reimagine them with our young people in mind.”

The story of Robin Hood has been told, retold and reinvented since the 1300s, and the Torch version keeps many familiar ingredients — green-clad heroes, robbing from the rich to give to the poor, a damsel in distress and a power-hungry ruler.

But this new production also changes the legend in unexpected ways.

Tim said: “You’ll find that Prince John has been replaced by his mother, the ruthless Queen Eleanor, and there’s a mysterious Black Knight who keeps popping up.

“We’ve also had a lot of fun developing some of those key members of the gang — Will Scarlett loves to dress up in disguises, and Allan-a-Mor is a musician desperate to find the perfect four-chord song.

“So, it’s the classic legend… sort of!”

Tim described the play as “adventurous, hilarious and heartfelt”, adding that the production had been designed to give every young performer a meaningful moment on stage.

He said: “With large ensemble action-filled moments, to quieter character-driven scenes, there’s space to suit everyone’s skills.

“Torch Youth Theatre aims not just to develop the young people’s acting skills, but also their confidence, teamwork and imagination, and large-scale productions like this are the perfect opportunity to do just that.”

Robin Hood: The Legend of the Black Knight will be staged at the Torch Theatre on Monday, July 20, Tuesday, July 21 and Wednesday, July 22 at 6:30pm.

Tickets cost £10, or £8 for concessions, and can be booked at torchtheatre.co.uk or through the Box Office on 01646 695267.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Step into West Wales history this Half Term with CADW

Published

on

FAMILIES across Wales can look forward to an action‑packed May half term, as Cadw unveils a jam-packed programme of events at castles, abbeys and historic monuments across the nation.

Running from Saturday May 23 to Sunday May 31, the wide range of events invite visitors to step into Wales’ past through immersive experiences, interactive workshops and hands‑on activities designed to spark curiosity and bring Welsh history to life.

With activities ranging from knight school and jester workshops, to adventure trails and bubble animals there is something for all ages to enjoy this May half-term.

Chief Executive of Cadw, Kate Roberts, said: “May half term is the perfect chance for families to get out and explore the incredible history on their doorstep in Wales. This year’s programme has been designed to be hands-on, engaging and genuinely fun, giving visitors of all ages the chance to connect our nation’s past and spend quality time together outdoors.
“With children going free with any adult membership, it’s a great-value option for families planning a few days out over the holidays. Cadw members enjoy unlimited access to over 130 historic locations across Wales, alongside a range of exclusive benefits, making it easier than ever to discover something new.”

With over 20 events across the school holidays, highlights from the half term line up will include the Strata Florida Abbey Craft Fayre when the abbey will host local arts, crafts and produce, alongside family-friendly activities, guided tours and more.

Also taking place is the Rainbow Gecko Bubbleman at Laugharne Castle on Saturday, May 30 and Sunday May 31 between 11am and 4pm when Bubbleman and the Bubble Faerie will bring a playful dose of magic to the day with their fully interactive bubble performances, featuring giant bubbles, bubble animals and even frozen creations. Visitors of all ages can join in the fun, learn a few tricks and take home their own bubble‑filled memories.
For those looking to take advantage of the events available during May half-term, a Cadw membership offers free event entry and unlimited access to over 130 historic places across Wales, offering a unique way to explore Wales’ rich heritage. Children also go free with any adult membership.

A selection of Cadw’s most fascinating historic places will also be open for guided tours throughout the summer.

To find out more, visit https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/whats-on/guided-tours-cadw

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

How online slot platforms are improving player safety

Published

on

WHEN it comes to gambling online, player safety is of utmost importance. There are a number of risks when it comes to online slots, from scams to addiction. But luckily, nowadays, there are a number of measures in place that are effectively improving player safety on these platforms. So, with that in mind, let’s take a closer look at how online slot platforms are ensuring players always remain safe online. 

AI-Driven Behaviour Monitoring 

AI is being used to track suspicious behaviour, spotting and flagging scammers or fraudulent individuals before they have a chance to make a move. Over the years, this type of technology has advanced significantly, and it’s now more effective at spotting patterns and preventing scams than ever before. 

Secure Connections and Payment Systems 

Legitimate online slot platforms use encryption and offer a variety of secure payment methods that ensure unauthorised individuals can’t intercept payments or access personal or financial information.

Two-Factor Authentication

Many platforms are now employing two-factor authentication methods, meaning players have to supply two forms of verification to access their account. This extra layer of security makes it more difficult for hijackers to take over accounts and steal personal data or financial information. 

Responsible Gambling Tools 

Player safety isn’t just about preventing scams or fraud. It’s also about reducing the chances of problematic gambling, which can be incredibly harmful. 

Since gambling is known to be addictive, slot machines and online casinos use a number of tools to prevent players from getting carried away or becoming problem gamblers. This includes things like spending limits and time outs, or even full self-exclusions that mean players can’t gamble online for six months, one year, or five years. 

Licensed platforms also have a responsibility to keep an eye out for potential problem gambling, and intervene where necessary to protect players from harm. 

Safety is the Top Priority 

Since gambling moved largely online, maintaining the safety of players through digital means has become incredibly important. When choosing a new online slot platform, or any gambling site, it’s always important to opt for ones that prioritise safety and have the right measures in place to protect players properly. 

This includes things like monitoring suspicious or problematic behaviour, using secure connections and payment systems, adding an extra layer of security with two-factor authentication, and using tools such as spending or time limits to ensure habits don’t escalate. 

 

Continue Reading

Local Government20 hours ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community22 hours ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime1 day ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community1 day ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government1 day ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community2 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime2 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News3 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News3 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg3 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week