Politics
More empty properties in Pembrokeshire to pay 300 per cent council tax premium
WHILE the council tax premium for second homes in Pembrokeshire is dropping, the rate for many empty properties in the county is set to rise.
Second homes in Pembrokeshire, from the next financial year, have a council tax premium of 150 per cent above the standard rate, following an agreed reduction from a 200 per cent premium earlier this year; to take place in the next financial year.
Long-term empty properties in the county are also currently charged a premium council tax rate: 100 per cent after 24 months, 200 per cent after 36 months, rising to 300 per cent.
During the October decision to lower the second homes rate, the rate for empty properties was also discussed, with a proposal by Cllr Alan Dennison to change the empty property premium to 300 per cent after two years deferred to the December meeting of full council.
At the December 12 meeting, members heard a more simplified rate system for empty properties was being proposed, 300 per cent for properties empty more than two years, which was moved by Cabinet member for finance Cllr Joshua Beynon.
A report for members calculated this change would bring an extra £663,000 to council coffers in the next financial year.
The report added: “The long-term empty properties council tax premium contributed £1.67m to the elements of the council’s budget relating to affordable housing and enhancing the sustainability of local communities during 2024-25. Current projections are for £1.65m of this to be collected during 2024-25.
“Any reduction in the long-term empty properties council tax premium or the level used to contribute to elements of the council’s budget relating to affordable housing and enhancing the sustainability of local communities would result in a reduction in income and an increase in the pressures and funding gap for 2025-26.”
The proposal, which includes various discretionary exemptions, was one of several options in a report for members, including a 250 per cent rate after two years, which was moved by Cllr Dennison, who asked that applications for exemptions be looked at “sympathetically on a case-by-case basis.”
Voices of concern to the proposed increases were raised by both Cllr Mike Stoddart and Cllr Viv Stoddart, saying the current rates were “savage enough,” and “punitive”.
Cllr Viv Stoddart said there were many legitimate reasons why properties could be empty long-term.
However, other councillors, including David Bryan and Cllr Mike Williams agreed empty properties were a blight for neighbours, Cllr Williams raising the issuer of a property in Tenby which had been derelict for some 20 years, adding: “The legislation is totally inadequate, it must be 300 per cent.”
The 250 per cent rate amendment was defeated by 44 votes to 10; the 300 per cent rate passing by 44 votes to five.
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
News
Welsh Conservatives demand clarity over EHRC guidance in schools
THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have called on the Welsh Government to clarify whether new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance will be implemented in schools across Wales.
Shadow education minister Sam Rowlands MS has written to Cabinet Minister for Education and the Welsh Language Anna Brychan MS following the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Equality Act.
Mr Rowlands said schools, teachers, governors and parents needed clear answers on how the guidance would apply in practice, including on single-sex spaces, safeguarding, changing facilities and sports participation.
He said: “Parents, teachers and pupils deserve clarity from the Welsh Government.
“Schools cannot be left in limbo while ministers avoid making a decision on such an important safeguarding and legal issue.
“The Equality Act applies in Wales, and schools now need clear guidance on what this means in practice.”
In his letter, Mr Rowlands asks whether updated guidance will be issued to schools in Wales, whether schools will be expected to amend existing policies, and what advice will be given to headteachers on safeguarding and compliance with the Equality Act.
He also asks whether the Welsh Government intends to diverge from the approach set out by the EHRC.
The letter says schools and parents require “clear and consistent guidance” to ensure the rights, dignity and safety of all pupils are respected.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






