Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Father of baby girl killed in Tenby incident says its been like a ‘horror movie’

Published

on

A SIX-MONTH-OLD baby girl has tragically died after her pram was struck by a car in a multi-storey car park in Tenby, Pembrokeshire.

Sophia Kelemen, described as “smiley and bubbly,” suffered catastrophic brain injuries in the collision on Thursday (Jan 2). Despite being airlifted to a Cardiff hospital, the injuries proved fatal.

Sophia’s family, from Greater Manchester, had been on holiday in Wales and were preparing to head home when the incident occurred.

Her father, Alex Kelemen, 27, told the BBC: “Just before we got to the car, the horror movie started.

“It’s been horrific to see our little daughter lying in that hospital bed and going through all those procedures. Everybody loved her—our friends, our family. She’s always going to live in my heart. I know she’s watching over me every day.”

Sophia’s parents now face the heartbreaking task of explaining the tragedy to their five-year-old son, Lucas.

“He’s been asking about his little sister every day,” said Mr Kelemen. “The hardest thing I’ve ever done is explain to him that God loved his sister more than we did. I told him that God gave Sophia a new pair of wings so she could fly above him and protect him.

“There are things I just don’t know how to explain to him. He’s our only child now, and everything we do is for him.”

Family’s heartbreak

Sophia’s aunt, Adriana Kelemen, recounted the devastating events to the Manchester Evening News.

“They were on a short break in Wales with family friends,” she said. “It was their last day. They’d been out, and then they went to the supermarket.

“It happened in the car park. The pram Sophia was in was destroyed.”

Support for devastated family

Fundraising efforts are now underway to support Sophia’s family. Two GoFundMe pages—one in English and one in Romanian—have been launched to cover funeral costs and repatriation expenses. The family plans to bury Sophia in Romania.

Meanwhile, Flaviu Naghi, 33, from Wigan, has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving, as well as driving without a licence or insurance. He is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on February 7.

Donations to assist the family can be made via the GoFundMe pages.

Pictured:

Tragic loss: Six-month-old Sophia Kelemen, pictured with dad Alex, died after her pram was hit by a car (Pic: Dyfed-Powys Police)

Crime

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Published

on

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told

A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross misconduct hearing which found he had engaged in inappropriate and misogynistic behaviour towards female colleagues.

Gary Davies, who held the rank of Superintendent, had been suspended since July 2022 while an investigation was carried out into a series of allegations relating to his conduct between 2017 and 2020.

A Gross Misconduct Hearing was held at Dyfed-Powys Police Headquarters between 24 March and 4 April 2025. The hearing was chaired by Legally Qualified Chair, Mr Oliver Thorne.

The panel found that Davies had breached multiple standards of professional behaviour, including Authority, Respect and Courtesy, Discreditable Conduct, and Equality and Diversity. As a result, he has been dismissed from the force and placed on the College of Policing Barred List, which prevents him from returning to the police service.

Deputy Chief Constable Ifan Charles, who serves as the Appropriate Authority for complaints and misconduct within Dyfed-Powys Police, issued a formal statement following the outcome.

He said: “Dyfed-Powys Police expects the highest standards of professional behaviour from its officers and staff, both on and off duty – and especially from those in senior leadership roles.
“I apologise to the former and current officers and staff who were subjected to inappropriate behaviour by former Superintendent Gary Davies, and I thank them for their courage in coming forward.
“Over the past two weeks, we have heard accounts from a number of colleagues, the majority of whom are women, who experienced unacceptable misogynistic conduct during the course of their duties.
“They are role models, and I commend the integrity and bravery they have shown throughout this process.
“This case is deeply concerning and will understandably cause unease within the organisation. I want to reassure all staff and the wider public that immediate action was taken when allegations were made, and the matter has been treated with the utmost seriousness.
“The outcome of today’s hearing reflects our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of conduct in policing. We will continue to use all available measures to ensure those unfit to hold the office of constable are removed swiftly and efficiently.”

Davies’s name was officially added to the Barred List on Friday (Apr 4), the day the hearing concluded.

Police and Crime Commissioner for Dyfed-Powys, Dafydd Llywelyn: told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “The public rightly expects the highest standards from those who serve in policing.  Former Superintendent Gary Davies actions fell short of these expectations, and their dismissal reflects our commitment to integrity, professionalism, and public trust. There is no place in Dyfed-Powys Police for those who undermine these values.

“I would like to thank current and former staff and officers who came forward to report this misconduct.  I appreciate that this must have been incredibly difficult, but their courage has been vital in ensuring accountability and upholding the standards the public deserve.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Haverfordwest resident denies assault on partner during birthday break

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST man has gone on trial accused of attacking his partner while on holiday in Pembrokeshire.

John Roberts, aged 51, of Barn Street, appeared at Swansea Crown Court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.

The incident is alleged to have taken place on August 24 last year at a shepherd’s hut in Rosemarket, where the couple were staying to celebrate the complainant’s birthday.

Roberts is accused of grabbing his partner by the hair and banging her head against a wall, before damaging a fireplace inside the property. He denies both charges.

Opening the case, prosecutor Emily Bennett told the jury that Roberts and the complainant had been in a relationship for twelve years and were enjoying a holiday following a family barbecue.

She said that shortly after midnight, Roberts’ “mood changed,” and he allegedly launched the attack.

The jury heard that the complainant managed to escape, locked herself in the bathroom and called the police. When she later emerged, Roberts had left the property — taking one of their dogs and the keys with him — and she noticed the fireplace had been damaged.

Roberts was arrested later that day. In police interview, he denied assaulting the woman or causing any damage, claiming she had “started on him” after accusing him of being unfaithful.

The trial, before Judge Wayne Beard, continues.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

News9 hours ago

Fire chief praises crews for response to grass fires

Over 250 incidents tackled during dry spell THE CHIEF Fire Officer of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service...

News9 hours ago

Man paralysed after being shot during weapons test at Pendine MoD range

Defence firm fined £800,000 over ‘devastating’ safety failure A CIVILIAN weapons expert was left paralysed from the neck down after...

Crime15 hours ago

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross...

Charity2 days ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business2 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News3 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business3 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News3 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime3 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Popular This Week