Crime
Pembrokeshire beach dog ban enforcement changes expected
PEMBROKESHIRE councillors have backed trialling a new way of enforcing bylaws restricting dogs on beaches in the summer season, with an emphasis on “education over enforcement”.
In previous years, between May 1 and September 30, dogs are completely banned on Tenby North Beach and Whitesands in St Davids, along with partial bans at Lydstep, Newgale beach and promenade, Saundersfoot beach and promenade, Tenby Castle and South Beach, Amroth beach and Promenade, Poppit Sands, Broad Haven North, Dale, and Coppet Hall (voluntary ban).
At Pembrokeshire County Council’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting of March 27, members heard a council Task and Finish Group meeting had discussed updating the current procedure and, focusing on the education of residents and visitors surrounding dogs on beaches.
“Based on feedback received by members from users both residents and visitors, the view of the group was that a level of enforcement was required but to undertake a trial surrounding a blended approach associated with the issues of warnings for first-time offenders, combined with the issuing of fixed penalty notices where appropriate.”
It added: “This is only for dogs on beaches; dog fouling on the street and beach will continue to be enforced.”
It was recommended to take a three-fold approach: improvements in communication and visibility of the dog-free zones through a review of signage and visibility of Enviro-crime officers, reviewing bylaws, and the trial of a new procedure surrounding the enforcement of dogs on beaches for 2025.
Regarding the dogs on beaches trial, the report for members said there would be an “intelligence-led” approach tackling “hot-spots”.
It added: “The response by the Enviro-crime contractor will be based on the following procedure. o If individuals are found with dogs within a restricted area, enforcement officers will undertake the following:
- Engage with the dog owners, issue a warning – full contact details will be taken.
- Dog owner will be requested to walk away from the restricted area – failing to do so will result in a FPN being issued.
- Dog owners will be asked to put their dog on a lead – failure to do so will result in a FPN being issued.
- Second offence after a warning will result in a FPN being issued.
- Dog fouling – FPN will be issued.
It concluded: “The view of the task and finish group was these measures would enable a trial season where education is given priority over enforcement, which could then be compared with the 2024 season of full enforcement.
“This will enable the committee to assess the two operating models when reviewed following the 2025 season.”
Speaking at the meeting, Cllr Rhys Jordan moved the recommendation, but said “blanket bans” on some of the county’s beaches were “overly punitive on dog owners,” adding: “Responsible owners do look after their dogs, but unfortunately it is the small minority; to have six or seven months of the year that certain beaches are completely banned from dogs is a bit much in my view.”
Committee chair Cllr Mark Carter said: “70 per cent of those caught with dogs are tourists, I really think we’re sending out the wrong message; giving a warning is fair in my mind, it’s good for business and good for tourism; I’m very grateful to officers for getting this to this level.”
Members agreed to back the recommendations of the task and finish group.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
Community7 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
News19 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims






