Crime
Ministers criticised after report finds 52 missed chances to stop paedophile headteacher
A SENEDD Conservative leader has accused ministers and Gwynedd Council of “serious safeguarding failings” after an independent review found that more than fifty opportunities were missed to stop a paedophile headteacher from abusing children.
A Child Practice Review into the case of Neil Foden – a former headteacher at Ysgol Friars in Bangor – found that 52 separate concerns were raised about his conduct between 2018 and 2023 but not acted upon. The report said key agencies failed to identify patterns of behaviour and did not share vital safeguarding information effectively.
Foden, who was jailed earlier this year for multiple sexual offences against pupils, had worked in education for over three decades and held senior positions across north Wales. His arrest in 2023 came after complaints were finally passed to police by staff members.
The review, commissioned by the North Wales Safeguarding Children Board, concluded that “professional curiosity was lacking” and that both the school and local authority failed to recognise risk indicators. It added that the case exposed “systemic weaknesses” in how concerns about staff in positions of trust are handled.
Andrew RT Davies MS, Leader of the Welsh Conservatives in the Senedd, said: “It is deeply shocking that Plaid Cymru-led Gwynedd Council missed more than 50 opportunities to stop child sex abuse by the paedophile headteacher Neil Foden.
“Since 2018, there has been no national oversight of some child safeguarding reviews in schools – after funding was scrapped during the tenure of the then-Liberal Democrat Education Minister.
“These are serious safeguarding failings and both Plaid Cymru councillors in Gwynedd and Senedd ministers have many questions to answer.”
In response, a Welsh Government spokesperson said: “The findings of this Child Practice Review are deeply concerning. We expect all local authorities to review their safeguarding arrangements immediately to ensure lessons are learned. We will continue to work closely with regional safeguarding boards to strengthen national oversight.”
Gwynedd Council also issued a statement following the report’s publication, acknowledging “significant shortcomings” and pledging to implement all recommendations in full. The authority said it was “deeply sorry for the distress caused to the victims and their families”.
The review has prompted renewed debate over the decision in 2018 to withdraw funding for the Independent Investigation Service, which previously provided national oversight of safeguarding reviews in education. Critics say that gap in accountability left schools reliant on inconsistent local procedures.
The case has reignited calls for a Wales-wide child protection body with statutory powers to monitor how councils handle allegations against education staff.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
Community7 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
News20 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims





