News
Mike Phillips opens up about toughest moments in candid S4C interview
Former Wales and Lions scrum-half reflects on drink-driving incident, family, and the state of Welsh rugby in Y Cyfweliad
FORMER Wales rugby star Mike Phillips has spoken openly about some of the most difficult moments of his life in a new episode of Y Cyfweliad on S4C, describing the emotional toll of past mistakes and the impact they had on his family.
The programme, which airs on Tuesday (Jan 6) at 9.00pm, features Phillips as the second guest in the new Welsh-language series, which is based on the internationally acclaimed format The A-Talks (also known as The Assembly).
Y Cyfweliad brings together a group of 30 autistic, neurodivergent and/or learning-disabled interviewers who question a well-known public figure without restriction, resulting in candid and often deeply personal conversations.
During the interview, Phillips speaks frankly about moments off the pitch that tested him the most, including having to tell his parents that he had been caught drink-driving.
He described the incident as one of the worst things he has ever done.
“I was so angry with myself because it’s one of the worst things I’ve done,” he said.
“I broke down with Mum and Dad and felt like I’d let people down. But I was very lucky that nothing bad happened.”
When asked about the last time he cried, Phillips returned to that period, reflecting on the emotional weight of disappointing his parents and the lasting impact it had on him.
The programme also explores his upbringing on a farm in Carmarthenshire, his life living in Dubai, and his views on the current state of Welsh rugby.
Phillips won 99 international caps for Wales, represented the British & Irish Lions, and between 2008 and 2013 was widely regarded as one of the best scrum-halves in world rugby.
Speaking about the challenges facing the national side today, he said: “We all know the situation – it’s difficult. We’re a small country, but it’s important that we have a national team that competes, even if it’s not always successful.
“They play with heart because they represent us all, and that gives people such a boost.”
The episode concludes with a moving performance of Calon Lân by the interviewers, bringing the conversation to an emotional close.
Y Cyfweliad – Mike Phillips will be available on S4C, S4C Clic and BBC iPlayer from Tuesday (Jan 6) at 9.00pm. Also appearing in the series are Bronwen Lewis and Elin Fflur. The first episode, featuring Dafydd Iwan, is already available on demand. English subtitles are available.
Crime
Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed
A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.
Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.
Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.
During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.
The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.
Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.
Fled across Europe
Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.
The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.
Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.
His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.
Previous conviction
The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.
Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.
However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.
Sentence and order
Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.
Crime
Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident
DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.
The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.
Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.
Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/
Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
Crime
Sexual assault allegation to be tried
Accused granted conditional bail
A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.
David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.
The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.
The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.
-
Business2 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime5 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community3 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education6 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community4 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
News5 days agoClimber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall
-
Crime7 days agoPendine man jailed for abducting and drugging teenage girl
-
Health7 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles








