Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Welsh Government says £205m package boosts economy as Bristol Airport protests

Published

on

LAWYERS acting for the Welsh Government have defended a £205.2m subsidy for Cardiff Airport during a hearing before the Competition Appeal Tribunal, rejecting claims the support package is illegal or anti-competitive.

The ten-year funding deal, announced last year, is designed to expand routes, improve infrastructure and attract new airlines to Wales’ national airport.

But Bristol Airport has launched a legal challenge, arguing the subsidy distorts competition and gives Cardiff an unfair advantage.

During the hearing, government barrister George Peretz KC described the investment as “ambitious” and said it would deliver “much wider benefits to the Welsh economy”.

He told the tribunal the funding was not a rescue package for a struggling airport.

“This goes way beyond the survival, or not, of Cardiff Airport,” he said. “It is something much more ambitious.”

Route incentives defended

Around half of the £205.2m fund is earmarked for route development, aimed at encouraging airlines to open new services.

Bristol Airport claims these payments could unfairly entice carriers away from the South West of England.

But the Welsh Government said such incentives are standard practice across the aviation sector.

“If airports want to attract airlines, this is the game they have to get into,” the tribunal heard. “All airports offer front-loaded incentives on a commercial basis.”

https://i2-prod.somersetlive.co.uk/article1968159.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/2_GettyImages-88443288.jpg
Not happy: Bristol Airport

Passenger cost disputed

Bristol Airport also argued that the package effectively equates to taxpayers contributing £71.50 per passenger.

However, Peretz said those calculations were misleading and failed to account for wider economic spending by passengers using Cardiff.

Ministers have already committed £20m in the current financial year, with the remaining funding to be phased over the next decade. Plans include new maintenance facilities, hangars and increased cargo capacity.

Decision pending

Bristol’s barrister, Ewan West KC, told the tribunal the subsidy should be declared unlawful but insisted the airport was “not seeking to drive Cardiff from the market”.

“Competition must be fair and lawful,” he said.

The tribunal, which sat for two days in Cardiff, is expected to reserve judgement until a later date.

If upheld, the decision could shape how far governments can go in supporting regional airports across the UK.

 

Community

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

Published

on

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON

FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.

Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.

Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.

A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.

Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.

Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.

Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.

The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.

A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.

Photo captions:

Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).

 

Continue Reading

News

Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks

Published

on

A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.

Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.

However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.

The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.

Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.

Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.

She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.

“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.

Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.

 

Continue Reading

News

Mystery as hundreds of dead dogfish wash up on Saundersfoot beach

Published

on

Concerns raised after mass stranding stretches hundreds of yards along shoreline

HUNDREDS of dead dogfish have washed up on a Pembrokeshire beach in a strange incident that has left locals and visitors searching for answers.

The fish, believed to be dogfish — a small species belonging to the shark family — were discovered scattered along Saundersfoot Harbour Beach on Thursday (May 21), with one witness estimating the carcasses stretched for around 500 yards.

Holidaymaker Colin Hill, who came across the scene, said the scale of the wash-up was shocking, with large numbers of fish appearing to have washed in at roughly the same time.

While the exact cause remains unclear, early indications suggest the fish may have been discarded at sea before drifting ashore on changing tides.

Natural Resources Wales (NRW), which attended the scene, said there was no sign of a pollution incident.

A spokesperson for NRW told The Herald: “We investigated reports of dead fish at Saundersfoot and found no evidence of a pollution incident.

“The fish appear to be dogfish, and this is likely linked to fishing by-catch being discarded at sea.

“Tides have since cleared the majority from the shoreline and no wider environmental impacts were identified.”

Fishing link suspected

Marine experts say one of the most likely explanations is that the dogfish were unintentionally caught by fishing vessels targeting more commercially valuable species before being thrown back into the sea.

Dogfish, also known as catsharks, are common around the Pembrokeshire coast but are not generally landed commercially in large numbers.

However, local marine conservationist Cliff Benson of Sea Trust Wales said the scale of the incident appeared unusual.

“We quite often see dogfish or catsharks seemingly intent on suicide and beaching themselves, though nobody seems to know why,” he said.

“However, this is on a different scale and looks like they might have been caught by some fishing boat that was hoping to catch more commercial species and thrown overboard dead.”

He added that pollution was another possible explanation, although less likely if only one species had been affected.

Not the first time

Pembrokeshire has seen smaller incidents involving dead dogfish washing ashore before, but similar mass strandings elsewhere in Wales have previously been linked to fishing activity.

In one case at Burry Port in 2019, fisheries experts suggested dead dogfish found on the shoreline had likely been dumped following the clearing of fishing nets. In Barry in 2021, hundreds more washed up, some still attached to hooks and tackle.

For now, the mystery remains unresolved — although NRW believes discarded fishing by-catch is the most likely explanation.

Caption:

Hundreds of dead dogfish washed up on Saundersfoot Harbour Beach on Thursday (Pic: Colin Hill).

 

Continue Reading

Community3 minutes ago

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair...

Local Government3 days ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community3 days ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime3 days ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community3 days ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government3 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community4 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime4 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News5 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News5 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Popular This Week