Business
MS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
PAUL DAVIES and Samuel Kurtz, Conservative Members of the Senedd have hosted a business advice surgery in response to mounting concerns about recent rateable value changes introduced by the Welsh Government.
The event followed an online forum on business rates, where local businesses raised serious worries about sharp increases in their rateable values and the impact this is having on already stretched budgets.
Over 140 entrepreneurs and business owners registered for the online forum held last month which also brought together industry representatives and the Valuation Office Agency.
Held in Narberth, on Tuesday 17th February, the surgery provided an opportunity for businesses to raise concerns directly with Paul Davies, Member of the Senedd for Preseli Pembrokeshire and Samuel Kurtz MS, Member of the Senedd for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire. Both standing for the new Ceredigion Penfro seat in May’s Senedd election.
The session focused on the challenges businesses face regarding business rates, financial pressures, and navigating support schemes. Attendees were able to share their experiences, ask questions, and make their voices heard by speaking direct to those who can challenge decisions taken by Welsh Government.
“Small businesses are the backbone of our local economy,”said Samuel Kurtz, “After hosting the online forum on business rates, it was clear that many businesses wanted a chance to discuss their concerns in person. This surgery allowed us to listen, provide advice, and explore how we can support them effectively.”
Paul Davies MS commented, “Businesses across Pembrokeshire are deeply concerned about the Welsh Government’s changes to rateable values. Many feel the new assessments simply do not reflect the current trading conditions. We are determined to make sure their voices are heard loud and clear.”
Local business owners welcomed the initiative, praising it as a practical and accessible way to voice their concerns on managing business rates and other financial challenges.
The surgery is part of an ongoing commitment to support local businesses, amplify their concerns, and ensure businesses voices are heard in policy discussions.
Davies and Kurtz have committed to continuing to press the Welsh Government for a fairer approach to business rates and have already written to Labour’s Financial Cabinet Secretary, Mark Drakeford, sharing the experience and impact of local businesses facing rising rate bills.
Business owners wishing to share their experiences or seek advice are encouraged to contact their constituency offices.
Business
More people come forward after Computer Solutions Wales investigation
Tribunal wage ruling and holiday home dispute add to concerns surrounding business
MORE individuals have contacted The Pembrokeshire Herald following last week’s investigation into complaints linked to Computer Solutions Wales, including a former employee awarded nearly £14,000 by a tribunal and a holiday home owner who says he lost £1,000 over an unfinished job.
The Herald previously reported concerns raised by customers across Pembrokeshire and south Wales alleging missing devices, unpaid refunds and prolonged delays connected to the business.
Since publication, additional readers have come forward with similar accounts.


Tribunal ruling over unpaid wages
Matthew Allen told The Herald he worked for the business between February and July 2023 but did not receive wages.
Employment Tribunal documents seen by this newspaper show his claim against Computer Solutions Pembs Ltd was found to be well founded, with the company ordered to pay £13,952.49 in unpaid wages, notice pay, pension contributions and holiday pay.
The judgment was issued in January 2024.
Mr Allen said he has yet to recover the money and believes the total owed has increased due to interest accruing since the ruling.
Holiday home Wi-Fi dispute
Retired builder David Norman Barrett, who runs holiday accommodation, visited The Herald offices last week and described a separate dispute relating to Wi-Fi installation work.
Mr Barrett said he paid Steven Grant £1,000 to install new equipment at one of his rental properties but the work was not completed.
He said repeated attempts to arrange follow-up visits were met with explanations that Grant was unwell or dealing with other urgent matters.
“One time he said he had collapsed and was in hospital so couldn’t attend. I did not believe him,” Mr Barrett said.
He said Grant later requested additional payments despite the original amount being paid upfront.
Mr Barrett said he eventually instructed another company to complete the work.
“They were excellent and finished everything properly for £600,” he said.
“I was ripped off, and then he blocked me so I couldn’t contact him.”
Mr Barrett’s grandson, Tom, confirmed his account to the newspaper.
Dispute over payment
A Herald reporter contacted Steven Grant by telephone regarding Mr Barrett’s complaint.
Grant confirmed he had received money from Mr Barrett and said he was aware a second company later completed the work, but disputed the amount involved.
“Mr Barrett had given me money, but not £1,000,” he said.
Grant also alleged that Mr Barrett had taken his tools, which he said was the reason he did not return to complete the job.
Mr Barrett denied this allegation, saying: “It’s just another lie on top of all the other lies.”
Grant said he had blocked Mr Barrett because he considered his contact to be harassment. He declined to provide any further comment to The Herald.
Ongoing investigation
The complaints follow The Herald’s earlier report detailing multiple customer concerns relating to repairs and replacement equipment, as well as civil court action taken by some customers.
Companies House records show Computer Solutions Pembs Ltd, previously associated with the business, was dissolved in July 2025 following compulsory strike-off proceedings.
Dyfed-Powys Police previously confirmed that complaints brought to their attention were considered civil matters rather than criminal investigations.
Further individuals have contacted The Herald since publication of the original article. The newspaper is currently speaking to additional witnesses and reviewing documentation to establish which complaints can be placed on the record.
Business
Milford Haven-South Hook LNG gas pipeline gets green light
THE FINAL stage of a call for a 1.5km hydrogen gas pipeline in Pembrokeshire in connection with a previously granted scheme for green energy production has been given the go-ahead by the national park.
Late last year Pembrokeshire County Council approved a scheme by Zurich-based MorGen Energy Ltd, previously known as H2 Energy Europe, sought permission for a 1.5km six-inch 10-bar low-pressure hydrogen pipeline and associated Above Ground Installation at the Impala Terminal, Milford Haven to the South Hook Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal.
A supporting statement through agent Fisher German said the scheme crossed both Pembrokeshire County Council and the national park authorities, with a similar application before that authority.
It added: “The proposals form part of the West Wales Hydrogen project, where planning permission was granted on October 6, 2023, for the development of a new 20MW hydrogen production facility at the Impala Terminal (formerly Puma Energy) in Milford Haven.
“The approved hydrogen production facility which uses electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, where the oxygen is a by-product of the process. The hydrogen production plant will produce 1,875 tons of hydrogen per year. Hydrogen will be distributed via high pressure vessels (40 ft. containers) to various customers in the closer vicinity, opening the hydrogen market to a large variety of customers.
“Hydrogen will also be distributed to the South Hook LNG Terminal and it is proposed that this will be via a new six-inch 10-bar hydrogen pipeline. The option to supply hydrogen to the South Hook LNG terminal via high pressure hydrogen containers was dismissed due to safety considerations at the terminal.
“This application therefore seeks planning permission for a section of below ground hydrogen pipeline within the jurisdiction of Pembrokeshire County Council, which comprises the north part of the route from the hydrogen plant at Impala to the South Hook LNG Terminal, alongside an AGI at the Impala Terminal.”
An officer report accompanying that approval said the southern part of the proposed pipeline was within the jurisdiction of the Pembroke Coast National Park Authority.
A national park officer report for that part, recommending approval, said its section of the pipeline “is a linear parcel of land comprising approximately 0.994 hectares,” adding: “It is mainly the location of a disused railway, now overgrown with scrub and grassland, in the open countryside.”
It added: “The development site is cross-boundary, situated primarily within the jurisdiction of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (the south-west extent), with a small section of the proposed pipeline (and an above-ground installation (AGI)) within the Pembrokeshire County Council (PCC) LPA area (the north-east extent).”
The national park side was conditionally approved by planners.
Business
Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port
SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford Haven have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a growing dispute over pay, according to Unite the Union.
The union said members employed by marine services company Svitzer backed action following what it described as a failure to deliver a fair and acceptable pay offer for 2025.
Unite said the workers carry out “highly skilled work that is essential to operations in the Port of Milford Haven” and that members were becoming increasingly frustrated at a lack of meaningful progress in negotiations.
The ballot result does not automatically mean strike action will take place, but it gives the union a mandate to call action if talks do not improve.

Svitzer provides tug services, which play a critical safety role in guiding large vessels, including oil tankers and liquefied natural gas carriers, through the Milford Haven Waterway — one of the UK’s most strategically important energy ports.
The Herald has contacted Svitzer and the Port of Milford Haven Authority for comment on the potential impact on operations and any contingency planning.
A spokesperson for Unite said members had sent a strong message through the ballot and would have the full support of the union in seeking a fair resolution.
At the time of publication, no dates for possible industrial action had been announced.
The Herald will provide updates as more information becomes available.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community1 day agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold







