Crime
Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed
A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.
Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.
Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.
During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.
The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.
Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.
Fled across Europe
Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.
The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.
Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.
His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.
Previous conviction
The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.
Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.
However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.
Sentence and order
Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






