News
Helicopter airlift protects rare habitat during pollution prevention work
A HELICOPTER was used to fly in materials to a former lead mine in Carmarthenshire as part of urgent work to stop polluted mining waste being washed into a river.
Natural Resources Wales and the Mining Remediation Authority took the unusual step at Nant y Mwyn Lead Mine near Rhandirmwyn to avoid damaging a rare and protected habitat while carrying out essential riverbank stabilisation.
The site is currently undergoing remediation as part of the Wales Metal Mines Programme, a Welsh Government-funded scheme aimed at reducing pollution from some of the country’s most harmful abandoned metal mines.
Project teams said fast-moving water had been eroding mining waste on the riverbank, with an estimated 300 cubic metres of material at immediate risk of being carried into the river.
Because the area is protected for its rare Calaminarian Grassland, reducing disturbance to the ground was a key concern. To overcome that, a helicopter was brought in to drop 109 bags of material along the riverbank in a single day, with the remaining work then completed by hand.
NRW said severe spoil erosion along the Nant y Bai has been adding several tonnes of metals to the Afon Tywi each year, contributing significantly to pollution linked to Nant y Mwyn Mine. Elevated cadmium and zinc levels have been recorded for up to 25 kilometres downstream.
The work was completed before the lambing and bird-nesting seasons and is expected to reduce the amount of metal-rich sediment entering the stream, improve water quality and help protect nearby habitats and heritage features.
Dave Johnston, Wales Metal Mines Programme Manager at Natural Resources Wales, said: “These works are a vital step at one of our most challenging sites, reducing the risk of several hundred cubic metres of metal-rich mining waste being carried into the Afon Tywi and the wider environment.
“Wales has a long legacy of metal mining, and pollution from abandoned mines contributes to reduced river health in many areas. Through the Wales Metal Mines Programme, we’re targeting the most harmful sites to deliver cleaner rivers for wildlife and for the communities and businesses that rely on them.”
Marika Gates, Project Manager at the Mining Remediation Authority, said: “Abandoned metal mines are a significant part of Wales’ industrial story, and Nant y Mwyn is central to the history of Rhandirmwyn.
“Our aim is to protect the environment while recognising and respecting this unique ecology and heritage. This project shows what is possible when innovation, environmental care and strong community collaboration come together.”
If you want, I can also turn this into a sharper Herald-style splash with a stronger intro and subheading.
News
Cadw invites families to step into West Wales history this half-term
STRATA Florida Abbey and Laugharne Castle will host family events as part of Cadw’s May half-term programme.
FAMILIES in West Wales are being encouraged to explore historic sites on their doorstep this May half-term, with events planned at Strata Florida Abbey and Laugharne Castle.
Cadw’s programme runs from Saturday, May 23 to Sunday, May 31, with activities across Wales aimed at bringing history to life for children and families.
At Strata Florida Abbey, near Pontrhydfendigaid, a craft fayre will take place on Sunday, May 24, from 11:00am to 3:00pm, featuring local arts, crafts and produce, alongside family-friendly activities and guided tours.
Laugharne Castle will host Rainbow Gecko Bubbleman on Saturday, May 30 and Sunday, May 31, from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Bubbleman and the Bubble Faerie will perform giant bubble displays, bubble animals and frozen creations, with visitors able to join in and learn tricks.
Other West Wales events include a Children’s Activity Day at Strata Florida Abbey and HMS Wales Naval Living History at Laugharne Castle.
Kate Roberts, Chief Executive of Cadw said: “May half term is the perfect chance for families to get out and explore the incredible history on their doorstep in Wales.
“This year’s programme has been designed to be hands-on, engaging and genuinely fun, giving visitors of all ages the chance to connect our nation’s past and spend quality time together outdoors.”
Cadw said membership includes free event entry and unlimited access to more than 130 historic places across Wales, with children going free with any adult membership.
Business
Mayor opens new Sapphire showroom in Milford Haven
New Charles Street base brings windows and doors firm closer to Pembrokeshire customers
THE MAYOR OF MILFORD HAVEN has officially opened a new showroom for Sapphire Windows & Doors in the town centre.

The company welcomed visitors to its new base at 61 Charles Street on Monday (May 18), with Mayor Mark Woodward attending the opening.
Sapphire Windows & Doors, established in 1989, supplies and installs windows, doors and glazing products across South and West Wales.
The new Milford Haven showroom has been opened following growing demand from customers in Pembrokeshire, many of whom had previously travelled to the company’s Ammanford showroom.
The Charles Street premises will allow customers to view products in person, compare colours and finishes, try different styles, and speak directly with the Sapphire team.
Products on display include uPVC windows, composite and aluminium entrance doors, aluminium sliding and bifold systems, and internal and external Crittall-style aluminium and steel doors.
Shaun Matthews, Director of Sapphire Windows & Doors said: “We are incredibly excited to open our new Milford Haven showroom and welcome both returning and new customers through the doors.
“We have already received such a lovely welcome on Charles Street, and we are looking forward to becoming part of the local community.

“When people are investing in new windows and doors, it is important they feel confident in what they are choosing. The showroom gives customers the opportunity to properly see the products, explore the options available, try them for themselves and receive clear, honest advice from our team.”
The company manufactures its own uPVC products in-house at its factory in Ammanford, while installations are carried out by directly employed fitting teams.
Sapphire says it offers free, no-obligation quotes and takes a no-pressure approach to sales.
Every installation is backed by a ten-year guarantee and a FENSA insurance-backed warranty.
The new showroom is now open at 61 Charles Street, Milford Haven, SA73 1SA.
For more information visit sapphirewindows.info.
Community
Cardigan family’s urgent appeal after father suffers devastating stroke
Former pilot left unable to speak or swallow after collapsing while mowing lawn
A CARDIGAN family has launched an urgent appeal for help after a 72-year-old father suffered a massive stroke while mowing his garden, leaving him unable to speak, swallow or move the right side of his body.
Les Bell collapsed on Monday, May 11, after suffering what doctors described as an intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) – a serious form of haemorrhagic stroke caused by bleeding in the brain.
His daughter, Jessica Grieve, said the bleed was extensive and that her father remains in a critical condition on an acute stroke ward.
The former pilot, who now works as a flight training consultant at Gatwick Airport, is currently being fed through a tube and can only communicate through eye contact, small nods and grunts.
Jessica said: “Dad has lost the right-hand side of his body, has to be tube fed as he’s not conscious enough to perform a swallow test, although it would seem the muscles on the right side of his throat aren’t working.
“He can’t talk. He can only communicate with brief eye contact, small nods and grunts.”
She added that doctors are still unable to predict her father’s long-term prognosis.
“We don’t know the prognosis, only time will tell, but he is in a critical condition and it’s likely to remain that way for some months,” she said.
The family is now facing a financial crisis after Les, who was the main income earner, became suddenly incapacitated.
Jessica said her father managed all household finances, while her mother is unable to work due to disabilities and her brother, Jake, is still suffering the effects of cancer treatment and cannot work full-time.
She is now applying for lasting power of attorney in order to access her father’s bank accounts, but said the process could take up to ten weeks.
In the meantime, the family say they are struggling to pay rent, bills and other essential costs.
Jessica has launched a GoFundMe appeal to support the family during the coming months.
She said: “I’m asking for donations of any kind to help them pay for the urgent bills while we’re waiting for other benefits and LPA to begin.
“If we can get them through the next couple of months we’d be so, so grateful.”
Anyone wishing can visit the GoFundMe page here: Help for the Family of Les Bell.
Photo caption:
Family by his side: Les Bell in hospital after suffering a devastating stroke while mowing the garden (Pic: GoFundMe).
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies burglary at Haverfordwest property







