News
Hairy supporters go through pain barrier
BRAVE charity supporters in Milford Haven have set themselves a series of hairy challenges by undertaking leg waxing, head shaving and beard growing fundraisers.
The courageous group of five, led from the front by organiser Robert Hoggins, grinned and bearded at it to raise funds for Meningitis Now – the UK’s leading meningitis charity. They hope to raise £200 towards its work fighting the disease on all fronts.
The leg waxing and head shaving took place at Beautylicious Beauty Salon in Milford Marina on Wednesday, November 20. But to compensate for the hair that some will be losing others in the group, based around local parent group Milford Adventure, have been going in for beard growing during the month of November.
Robert, 47, from Milford Haven, is a staunch supporter of the charity and rose over £300 for it by having his head shaved last year.
He said: “My cousin Hannah sadly passed away from meningitis last year. As a parent I feel it is vital to raise awareness and money so that we can protect people in the future.”
Krysia Jarzebek-Darma, Meningitis Now’s community fundraiser for Wales, said: “We’re really grateful to Robert and the rest of the group for all their efforts on our behalf and we wish them well with their challenges.
“We rely entirely on the generosity of individuals to continue our vital work – searching for vaccines, supporting anyone affected by meningitis with free professional services and raising lifesaving awareness of the disease and its symptoms.
“For the many people who have been, and continue to be, affected by meningitis, and for those who will sadly be affected in the future, Meningitis Now is a lifeline. Support like this ensures that this lifeline can continue.”
Each year around 3,400 cases of meningitis are reported in the UK, 10% of these are fatal and 15% of survivors are left with devastating after-effects. Meningitis can strike anyone, at any time and the winter months are the peak season for the disease.
If you would like to support Robert’s efforts please visit Hannah’s tribute fund page at http://meningitisnowforeverfunds.tributefunds.com/fund/Hannah+Gwilliam/showFund/ to contribute.
Robert Hoggins can be contacted directly on 07866 853972.
Robert and the group are not done yet, and they will be having another session next week in the centre near St Katharine’s Church.
Crime
Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident
DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.
The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.
Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.
Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/
Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
Crime
Sexual assault allegation to be tried
Accused granted conditional bail
A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.
David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.
The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.
The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.
Crime
Drink drive allegation denied
Trial date fixed by magistrates
A MOTORIST has denied a drink-driving allegation when the case came before magistrates.
Michael Miles, 39, of Milford Road, Johnston, Haverfordwest, appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court charged with driving a motor vehicle when the alcohol level was above the prescribed limit.
The court heard that on January 24, 2026, it is alleged that Miles drove a Ford Transit on the A477 at Jordanston after consuming so much alcohol, that the proportion in his breath was 52 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, exceeding the legal limit of 35.
Miles entered a not guilty plea on February 10, 2026.
The matter was adjourned for trial on May 21 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court. He was remanded on unconditional bail.
-
Business1 day agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime5 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community2 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education5 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community4 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Health6 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles
-
News7 days agoWest Wales Together Alliance launch in Haverfordwest
-
News7 days agoProtest at Senedd as climate groups clash on how Wales should go green






