News
Budweiser promises FREE beer for every adult in Wales!
BUDWEISER have been so impressed by Wales’ performance in the UEFA European Championship, and their fans’ support, that they have announced plans to give away a FREE beer for every adult in the country.
The company tweeted yesterday (Jul 3): “To the fans who always believed. A free bud for everyone 18+ in Wales. Watch this space. T&C apply. #ThisBudsForYou”

A Budwesier spokesperson then released following statement: “At Budweiser, we’re all about celebrating epic moments, and that’s why we wanted to raise a Bud to the dedication of all the Welsh football fans out there in honour of their recent success, and to show our support ahead of the nation’s next big game – by giving everyone 18+ in Wales a Budweiser on us.
“We also have one of our biggest breweries based in Magor, and have close ties to the Welsh community, which makes this moment that little bit more special for us too.
“We’ll be releasing more details about how Wales can get their hands on a complimentary Budweiser this week – watch this space. In the meantime, this Bud’s for you Wales!”
Whether Wales go on to win the championship or not, at least every fan has now has a free beer to join their fantastic memories.
News
Latest HS2 cost rise sparks fresh Welsh funding row
Welsh Government and Liberal Democrats say Wales is being ‘short-changed’ as high-speed rail bill could reach £102.7bn
THE WELSH GOVERNMENT has renewed calls for Wales to receive a fair share of rail funding after the latest figures showed the cost of HS2 could rise to as much as £102.7bn.
Deputy Minister for Transport Mark Hooper said the figures made it “clearer than ever” that Wales was being short-changed by the UK Government’s approach to the high-speed rail project.
HS2 has been classified by the Treasury as an “England and Wales” scheme, despite the line not entering Wales. The classification means Wales does not receive the same Barnett consequential funding that would normally follow spending on a transport project in England.
Mr Hooper said: “The latest figures showing HS2 will cost up to £102.7bn make it clearer than ever Wales is being short-changed by the UK Government’s approach.
“HS2 has been classified as an ‘England and Wales’ project – despite not a single centimetre of track being laid in Wales.
“This is not acceptable. Every pound denied to Wales is a pound that cannot be invested in the integrated, modern transport network that our communities deserve.”
The row over HS2 funding has become one of the longest-running disputes between Cardiff Bay and Westminster over infrastructure spending.
Rail infrastructure is not fully devolved in Wales, and the UK Government has previously argued that HS2 should be treated as a project benefiting both England and Wales. Welsh ministers, however, say that position is unfair because the line is being built entirely in England.
The latest cost estimate comes after UK Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander gave a statement to the House of Commons on the future of HS2, confirming that the project could now cost between £87.7bn and £102.7bn, with services between London and Birmingham not expected to begin until between 2036 and 2039.
The project has already been significantly scaled back, with previous plans for high-speed lines to Manchester and Leeds cancelled.
Welsh Liberal Democrat Westminster Spokesperson David Chadwick MP said HS2 had become “a textbook example of Government mismanagement”.
He said: “After years of delays, spiralling costs and broken promises under the previous Conservative Government, taxpayers across the UK are now being left to pick up the bill.
“At the very least, Wales must now receive the consequential funding it is owed so we can invest in desperately needed transport infrastructure here at home.
“The Labour Government can no longer hide behind accounting tricks to deny Wales funding that Scotland and Northern Ireland rightly receive as a matter of fairness.
“There is simply no justification for Wales continuing to be short-changed.”
Welsh ministers argue that if HS2 had been treated as an England-only project, Wales would have received billions of pounds in additional funding through the Barnett formula.
Mr Hooper said securing Wales’s share would now be a “central priority” in the Welsh Government’s relationship with Westminster.
He added: “We are committed to pressing the UK Government to right this wrong and ensure Wales receives the funding it is owed.”
The issue is likely to remain a major point of tension as the new Welsh Government seeks investment for rail, bus and integrated transport improvements across Wales.
News
Flood alert issued for Pembrokeshire coast
Residents urged to prepare as flooding possible between St Dogmaels and Amroth
A FLOOD alert has been issued for the Pembrokeshire coast by Natural Resources Wales.
The alert covers the coastline between St Dogmaels, Cardigan and Amroth, where flooding is possible.
Residents are being urged to be prepared, check flood plans, and make sure family members, pets, vehicles, livestock and important belongings can be moved to safety if needed.
Natural Resources Wales is also advising people to keep mobile phones charged, know how to turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, and prepare a small emergency bag with essential items including medication, chargers, warm clothing, baby and pet supplies, sanitary items and insurance documents.
People are warned not to drive or walk through floodwater. Just 30cm of water can carry a car away, while 15cm can knock a person off their feet.
For more information, visit the Natural Resources Wales flood warning service or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188, using quick dial number 503013.
Entertainment
Tony Christie brings farewell show to Torch Theatre
LEGENDARY singer Tony Christie is coming to Milford Haven as part of his Great Farewell tour.
The veteran performer, best known for hits including Is This the Way to Amarillo and I Did What I Did for Maria, will appear at the Torch Theatre on Thursday, June 25, at 7:30pm.
Christie, born Anthony Fitzgerald in Yorkshire in 1943, began performing as a teenager and went on to enjoy a career spanning more than six decades.
His breakthrough came after signing with MCA Records in 1969, with the 1970s bringing huge success and more than 10 million record sales.
He later enjoyed renewed fame when Peter Kay helped introduce Amarillo to a new generation, making the song one of the best-known British pop hits of the modern era.
The Great Farewell show will celebrate Christie’s long career, taking in his classic hits and the songs that made him one of Britain’s most enduring entertainers.
A limited number of VIP packages are available, including the best seats, access to Tony’s sound check from 4:15pm to 5:00pm, a meet-and-greet with Tony and his wife Sue, and a goody bag containing a personally dedicated signed CD and 10×8 photograph.
Tickets cost £30, with VIP tickets priced at £80.
Bookings can be made at torchtheatre.co.uk or through the Box Office on 01646 695267.
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime7 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station






