Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Prince of Wales application deferred

Published

on

5888482070_6984fe3635_b

THE MANAGEMENT of the Prince of Wales night club in Tenby will find out this week if its application for extended hours has been granted.

It was heard at a meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Licensing Sub Committee on Friday, July 1.

The committee were asked to determine the application but could not reach a decision.

The club currently opens to 3am but the owner, Mr Mark Thomson, wants to extend opening hours for some nights to 4am in order to compete with The Sands night club in Saundersfoot.

Mark Thomson said: “The Prince of Wales is a small night club with a wide ranging customer base. The Prince of Wales is open to 3am and The Sands in Saundersfoot is open to 4am.

“Most of them don’t stay to the end and are attracted to the presence of an extra hour.

“The decision is assisted by taxi drivers as this will provide extra business for them and the additional hour will enable us to offer the same.

“We have applied for this additional hour but the manager will make a decision to open past 3am if it is viable.

“The proposed variation is to increase the flexibility of the premises whilst reducing crime and disorder, by allowing customers to gradually disperse by extending licensable hours.”

However, there have been a number of complaints regarding noise, drunken behaviour and violence.

Tenby Town Clerk, Mr Andrew Davies said: “Upper Frog Street is a narrow street with a number of business premises.

“Issues regarding The Prince of Wales has been raised on several occasions by residents and we always encourage them to address the licensing authority.

“People were not fully aware of this application so the Town Council informed residents that this was coming before the council.

“It is evident that there are problems and with the volume of complaints received there is a situation that is not amenable to residents in the area.

“There are problems on the streets outside and when people have been to a night club, when they go outside their perception of noise levels is not the same.

“There is a distinct correlation between the hours of the premise and anti-social behaviour and this will only be extended if the application is granted.”

Objecting to the plans, Mr Richard Williams said Upper Frog Street was ‘like the wild west’ and that he and his wife had been woken at 2.30am by the sound of a woman screaming adding that they could not get back to sleep as they were worried for the life of somebody.

Mrs Lyn Field-Thomas said that she once spotted a woman urinating on her front door whilst police were watching.

She said: “If they stay open until 4, it is not fair to the people who live there. It is a nightmare in Upper Frog Street and I dread the summer coming.”

Mr Thomson added that there were no objections from the police and said they were responsible operators that would not do anything to jeopardise themselves or others.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Cardigan musician to perform climate fundraiser concert

Published

on

CLASSICALLY trained Cardigan musician Rosalind Powell will perform a concert of original alternative pop songs next month in aid of Cardigan Extinction Rebellion.

The concert, Singing for the Future, takes place at St Mary’s Old School Hall, Cardigan, on Saturday, June 6, at 7:00pm.

Rosalind, who has a music degree from Cambridge University, is a composer, pianist and teacher of piano, singing and music theory.

The concert will show another side of her musicianship, with a programme of original songs drawn from her three albums, Sound Eagle, Circumference and Dragonfly.

It follows a successful recent launch event for Sound Eagle at the Cellar Bar.

Rosalind said: “Climate change and biodiversity loss are issues that I care deeply about, and I’m so pleased to be able to give my support through music.

“Our future is threatened by the climate and nature crises, but so many people are doing positive things to improve the situation and bring us hope. I’m glad this fundraiser will help towards that.”

Tickets will be available on the door, with a suggested price of £8, although those who cannot afford the full amount can pay less. Teas, coffees and cakes will also be available.

Rosalind’s Sound Eagle album recently received a warm review from The Pit London music site, which described it as “a dreamy and reflective world” and praised its blend of alternative pop, soft jazz influences and classical piano.

Rosalind said she has already been featured on 15 radio stations, will perform at Llangollen Fringe’s Music Around Town event in September, and is planning a West Wales tour later this year.

The concert falls on the first day of Great Big Green Week. Weather permitting, Cardigan Extinction Rebellion will also hold a street stall on Wednesday, June 10, giving away plants, seeds and information about gardening for wildlife.

 

Continue Reading

News

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Published

on

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response

A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to Redberth Croft on Tuesday evening (May 19), prompting a road closure while emergency services made the area safe.

The incident happened just off the A477 at Redberth, where a vehicle caught fire and rolled into a hedge and the new entranceway to Redberth Croft.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and successfully extinguished the blaze.

In a statement shared on social media, Redberth Croft thanked firefighters for their rapid response.

The business said: “A huge thank you to the Fire Brigade for their swift response in safely putting out a car fire that rolled into our hedge and new entranceway at Redberth Croft.

“Thankfully nobody was hurt, and we’re incredibly grateful for the professionalism and quick action of the emergency services.”

Photos from the scene show the vehicle completely burnt out, with extensive damage to the engine bay and interior, as firefighters worked nearby.

Motorists were warned to avoid the area while the road remained closed for safety reasons.

Redberth Croft added: “Please be aware that this is just off the A477 next to our new entrance, and the road is currently closed while the area is made safe. Please avoid the area and take care if travelling nearby.”

It is not yet known what caused the fire or whether any other vehicles were involved.

Photo caption:

Burnt out: Fire crews at the scene after a car rolled into the hedge near the entrance to Redberth Croft (Pics: Redberth Croft)

 

Continue Reading

Community

Milford Haven mourns loss of ‘legend’ Muci Power

Published

on

Tributes pour in for former Lord Kitchener landlord

TRIBUTES have flooded in from across Milford Haven following the death of Alan Edward Thomas “Muci” Power, remembered as a “true legend” and one of the town’s best-known characters.

Mr Power, affectionately known as Muci, passed away suddenly but peacefully at Withybush Hospital on Sunday, May 10, aged 79.

Best known to many as the former landlord of the Lord Kitchener public house in Milford Haven — affectionately known as “The Kitch” — Muci became a familiar and much-loved figure in the town, known for his humour, friendship and larger-than-life personality.

The devoted husband of Meryl, father, grandfather and great-grandfather leaves behind a family at the centre of Milford life, while countless friends have spoken of the memories they shared with him over many years.

The Royal British Legion paid tribute, saying: “Rest in peace, Muci. You will be dearly missed by us all here at the Royal British Legion. Thank you for the memories and your presence in our community. Our thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones during this difficult time.”

Hundreds of tributes have also been posted online, with many describing Muci as a “Milford legend” whose passing marks the end of an era.

Friends remembered good times at The Kitch, where Muci was at the heart of local life for many years.

Ryan Hackett wrote: “Will have a T.A.C. for you mate on Tuesday. Will miss you Matey. Another Milford legend gone.”

Simon Jenkins said: “Muci was one in a million, a true legend. Milford has lost a true gent.”

Many spoke of his warmth and generosity, with Nigel Hackett thanking him for “being there when I needed someone.”

Muci was the devoted husband of Meryl, dearly loved father and father-in-law of Karl and Claire, and Hayley and Roy, proud grandfather of Morgan, Sam, Caitlin and Jay, and adored great-grandfather of Amalie.

His funeral service will take place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth, on Tuesday, May 26, at 11:30am.

For those wishing to pay their respects, the hearse will leave the Lord Kitchener, Charles Street, Milford Haven, at 10:40am.

Immediate family flowers only.

All enquiries to Tom Newing & Sons Ltd, Funeral Directors, Dartmouth Street, Milford Haven, SA73 2AN. Tel: 01646 693180.

 

Continue Reading

News8 hours ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News14 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg18 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime1 day ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community2 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime2 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health3 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community3 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health4 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government5 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

Popular This Week