News
Portuguese Blenny snapped in Welsh waters

Portuguese Blenny: Similar to its cousin, the Tompot Blenny
THE MARINE Conservation Society (MCS) says a Portuguese Blenny (Parablennius ruber) has been photographed in Welsh waters for the first time.
It was spotted in The Smalls, a popular diving area 18 miles off the Pembrokeshire coast, west of St Brides Bay, by Seasearch diver Kerry Lewis, from Aberystwyth, in late July.
Seasearch is the MCS volunteer dive programme, where divers survey underwater areas around the UK.
MCS Wales Conservation Engagement Officer, Paul Kay, said he was able to identify the photograph taken by Kerry, because he had snapped a Portuguese Blenny off the Aran Island in Galway Bay many years ago and had to have the fish’s identity confirmed by an expert from Madeira.
The Portuguese Blenny is quite small, only growing up to about 14cm long. It has two quite characteristic head appendages, so it’s similar to its cousin, the Tompot Blenny.
However, it differs in colouration as it is mottled with red rather than brown stripes, and sometimes can be almost entirely bright red. Males have a blue spot on the front of their dorsal fin when ready to breed.
“This Portuguese Blenny was well known from far further south. But since my first sighting in some years ago, they’ve been found along the west coasts of both Ireland and Scotland and I’ve even photographed one as far north as St Kilda.
“It’s also been recorded in the Scillies and the south coast too, but never in Wales. I think this is partly because this little fish actually appears to like very rough, exposed spots and seems to thrive most in what we might think of as areas very difficult to survive in – which of course aren’t easy to dive in either,” says Paul.
Kerry Lewis says the sea conditions when she spotted the little Blenny were unusually calm, which is why the South and West Wales Seasearch team, organised by local co-ordinator Kate Lock, were able to get out to The Smalls, an area Kerry says she had wanted to dive in for over a decade.
“I was thrilled to have taken the first photo of this fish in Wales. When I saw it hopping about amongst the rocks, I assumed it was a juvenile Tompot Blenny, one of the best known fishes from around the UK.
“They share a striking resemblance, but its coloration and marginal differences in shape differentiate it. Fortunately, it stayed still long enough for me to get the picture and when I posted it in the online Seasearch forum, it all got quite exciting.”
Confirmation was also obtained from Dr Lin Baldock, Dorset Seasearch Co-ordinator and a small fish expert.
Paul Kay says that despite its name, it’s thought that the Portuguese Blenny is actually a resident of British and Irish waters: “It’s not a recent immigrant from further south, so its presence doesn’t suggest global warming, but actually illustrates just how biodiverse our own seas are and how we are still able to discover new things about them all the time, and why they need protecting and looking after.”
News
Government backs down after Reform legal challenge over postponed local elections
Ministers withdraw decision affecting 30 councils as court claim resolved
THE UK GOVERNMENT has withdrawn its decision to postpone local council elections in England scheduled for May 2026 after a legal challenge brought by Reform UK, according to official court correspondence seen by The Herald.
A letter from the Government Legal Department, dated Monday (Feb 16), confirms that the Secretary of State has decided to reverse the earlier postponement “in the light of recent legal advice”, meaning the elections will now proceed as planned in May.
The claim — Reform UK Party Limited v Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government — had been lodged in the Administrative Court in London.
The correspondence states that the Housing Minister, who had not been involved in the original decision, was asked to reconsider the position urgently due to the tight timetable. Following that review, ministers concluded that the elections should go ahead.
The Government has also indicated it will seek to agree an order with the claimant to formally dispose of the case and will pay Reform UK’s legal costs.
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage claimed victory following the development, writing on social media that the party had “taken this Labour government to court and won”.
He added: “In collusion with the Tories, Keir Starmer tried to stop 4.6 million people voting on May 7th. Only Reform UK fights for democracy.”
The Government has not publicly commented in detail on the claim itself, but the letter makes clear that the reversal was prompted by legal advice rather than a full court judgment.
The dispute centred on the proposed postponement of elections across 30 local authorities, a move which critics argued would have delayed millions of voters from going to the polls.
With the decision now withdrawn, preparations for May’s local elections are expected to proceed as normal.

Local Government
MoD plans for Pembrokeshire site submitted to council
PLANS for specialist MoD air traffic radio direction finding equipment works at Pembrokeshire’s Cawdor barracks, where a ‘DARC’ deep space radar facility is proposed, have been submitted to the council.
Cawdor barracks, Brawdy, is occupied by the 14th Signal Regiment who are due to vacate the Barracks in 2028.
A formal screening opinion call, under Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, submitted to Pembrokeshire County Council by agent Montagu Evans on behalf of the ministry of Defence (MoD) has been submitted relating to renewal works to be undertaken to the air traffic equipment at Cawdor Barracks.
A supporting statement says: “The Ministry of Defence are progressing a full planning application with associated Environmental Statement for a Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability (DARC) Facility on part of the barracks site.
“ This project has yet to be submitted for approval and is being brought forward independently of the renewal works to the Radio Direction Finder.
“The Cawdor Barracks airfield includes a Directional Finder (DF) which forms part of the service operated under a requirement from the National Air Traffic Services (NATS) and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
“It forms part of the nation-wide system automatic triangulation and distress, and diversion network regulate by the CAA on behalf of NATS. It is located towards the centre of the airfield.
“The network of DF installations is a civilian rather than military requirement, and allows bearing data to be provided to the Distress and Diversion Cell at NATS Swanwick. This is a national service which locates and supports aircraft in distress and manages the diversion of other aircraft.
“The current DF equipment comprises a 0.5m cabinet for electronics, a counterpose mounted the building which holds the ultra-high frequency antennas and a mast upon which the antenna array of 18 antennas is mounted.
“The existing DF equipment is reaching the end of its operational life and must be replaced at a manner which allows for continued operations. It is to be replaced with a High-Resolution Direction Finder (HRDF) which is being managed under the Ministry of Defence’s MARSHALL programme.
The new equipment will allow signals to be received from aircraft up to approximately 90 nautical miles (Nm) from the site, providing maximum coverage of the area through including the Bristol Channel and St Georges Channel.
“The existing DF will remain operational during installation of the new equipment. Once the HRDF is operational, the existing system will be decommissioned and removed from the site. Works are to commence in early 2026 and completed by early 2027.”
Crime
Driver admits killing dog walker whose body was found in churchyard
Guilty plea entered at Swansea Crown Court after fatal hit-and-run days before Christmas
A MAN has admitted causing the death of a Carmarthenshire dog walker after striking him with a car and leaving the scene.
Daniel Wyke, aged 28, of Carmarthen, appeared before Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Feb 16) where he pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
The victim, Aaron Jones, aged 38, from Llanpumsaint, was discovered in a churchyard near Caer Salem Baptist Chapel on December 23, 2024 — just days before Christmas.

The court heard that Mr Jones, a father of two, had suffered catastrophic injuries after being struck by a vehicle at around 7:20pm. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Prosecutor Ian Wright told the court there was extensive damage to the windscreen of the vehicle involved, consistent with a serious impact.

Mr Jones’ body was found after his dog was discovered wandering alone by a passer-by, who contacted his wife and raised the alarm, prompting a search of the area.
Wyke was arrested the following day.
In addition to the fatal collision, he had also faced a separate allegation of dangerous driving on Water Street in Carmarthen. That charge was denied and remains outstanding.
His Honour Judge Paul Thomas KC granted Wyke bail but imposed an immediate driving disqualification.
A provisional sentencing date has been set for March 30.
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Community11 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Crime5 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Community6 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Climate5 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold
-
Charity6 days agoCelebrating the impact of the Bluestone Foundation










Owl Badges
December 29, 2025 at 10:27 pm
Your perspective on this topic is very interesting. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Lamborghini customization
December 30, 2025 at 11:57 pm
Your perspective on this topic is very interesting. Thanks for the detailed explanation.