News
Chelsea Manning goes on hunger strike
CHELSEA MANNING, the United States Army soldier who was born in Pembrokeshire and attended Tasker Milward School in Haverfordwest, announced yesterday (Sep 9) that she is going on a hunger strike until she is treated for gender dysphoria.
Chelsea is transgender and previously went by the name of Bradley. She is currently serving a 35 year sentence after being convicted of leaking classified documents to the Wikileaks website. She was sentenced in 2013.
In July she attempted suicide in her Kansas jail.
In a statement Chelsea said: “I need help. I am not getting any. I have asked for help time and time again for six years and through five separate confinement locations. My request has only been ignored, delayed, mocked, given trinkets and lip service by the prison, the military, and this administration.
“I need help. I needed help earlier this year. I was driven to suicide by the lack of care for my gender dysphoria that I have been desperate for. I didn’t get any. I still haven’t gotten any.
“I needed help. Yet, instead I am now being punished for surviving my attempt. When I was a child, my father would beat me repeatedly for simply not being masculine enough. I was told to stop crying—to “suck it up.” But, I couldn’t stop crying. The pain just got worse and worse. Until finally, I just couldn’t take the pain anymore.
“I needed help, but no one came then. No one is coming now.
“Today, I have decided that I am no longer going to be bullied by this prison—or by anyone within the U.S. government. I have asked for nothing but the dignity and respect—that I once actually believed would be provided for—afforded to any living human being.
“I do not believe that this should be dependent on any arbitrary factors—whether you are cisgender or transgender; service member or civilian, citizen or non-citizen. In response to virtually every request, I have been granted limited, if any, dignity and respect—just more pain and anguish.
“I am no longer asking. Now, I am demanding. As of 12:01 am Central Daylight Time on September 9, 2016, and until I am given minimum standards of dignity, respect, and humanity, I shall—refuse to voluntarily cut or shorten my hair in any way; consume any food or drink voluntarily, except for water and currently prescribed medications; and comply with all rules, regulations, laws, and orders that are not related to the two things I have mentioned.
“This is a peaceful act. I intend to keep it as peaceful and non-violent, on my end, as possible. Any physical harm that should come to me at the hands of military or civilian staff will be unnecessary and vindictive. I will not physically resist or in any way harm another person. I have also submitted a “do not resuscitate” letter that is effective immediately. This shall include any attempts to forcibly cut or shorten my hair or to forcibly feed me by any medical or pseudo-medical means.
“Until I am shown dignity and respect as a human again, I shall endure this pain before me. I am prepared for this mentally and emotionally. I expect that this ordeal will last for a long time. Quite possibly until my permanent incapacitation or death. I am ready for this.
“I need help. Please, give me help.”
News
Reform’s Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire chairman resigns months before Senedd elections
Former General Election candidate steps down after just a few months in role as party faces upcoming electoral tests
THE CHAIRMAN of Reform UK’s Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire branch has resigned after only a few months in the role — just months before the crucial Senedd elections.
Stuart Marchant, who stood as the party’s candidate for Mid and South Pembrokeshire in the July 2024 General Election, confirmed he has stepped down from the position he has held since being elected chairman in October 2025.
Mr Marchant received almost 8,000 votes at the General Election, finishing third out of eight candidates. He later helped establish the Reform UK branch covering Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire in September 2024, initially serving as interim chairman before being formally elected.
In his resignation statement, he said he was no longer able to balance the demands of the role with his professional and personal commitments, adding that the position required someone able to devote full time and energy to it.
He said: “I have reached the conclusion that I am no longer able to balance the demands of the role — or the approach required to take the branch to the next stage — alongside my professional and personal commitments. The role deserves the full attention and energy of someone who can give it without compromise, and at this time I cannot do so.”
Mr Marchant said he remained proud of what had been achieved locally and thanked members for their support during his time in office. He added that he had confidence the branch would continue to grow under new leadership.
His resignation comes at a significant time for the party locally, with campaigning expected to intensify ahead of the Senedd elections later this year.
There is also an important local electoral test on the horizon, with a by-election due to take place in Hakin, Milford Haven, following the death of respected councillor Mike Stoddart. Reform UK is understood to be hoping to field a candidate, although no selection has yet been confirmed.
Reform UK has not yet announced who will replace Mr Marchant as chairman of the Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire branch.
Local Government
Independent group threatens to oppose council tax plans over education cuts
Councillors demand £2m savings removed amid safeguarding concerns in schools
THE INDEPENDENT GROUP on Pembrokeshire County Council has warned it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed council tax increases unless planned reductions to the education budget are reversed.
Cabinet has recommended a council tax rise of 4.6% for 2026/27, followed by 5% the following year and potential increases of up to 7.5% in future years. The Independent Group has criticised the proposals, describing them as a “ballot box” budget which they claim postpones difficult financial decisions for future administrations.
The group also said it had not been consulted during the budget process by Council Leader Jon Harvey, despite representing a significant number of councillors.
Safeguarding concerns raised

Councillor Huw Murphy said the group’s main concern relates to education funding, particularly following the recent placement of three Pembrokeshire schools into special measures.
He said: “The seriousness of the situation facing education in Pembrokeshire cannot be overstated. All councillors need to place school safeguarding above party politics.”
The Independent Group argues that reducing the education budget by more than £2 million would be inappropriate at a time when schools face financial pressures and scrutiny from inspectors.
The councillors have called for the proposed savings to be reinvested to help improve standards at Ysgol Harri Tudur, Milford Haven School and the Pembrokeshire Learning Centre in Neyland, as well as addressing wider infrastructure concerns including building maintenance issues at several schools across the county.
Budget pressures acknowledged
The group acknowledged efforts by the council’s finance leadership to achieve savings, noting projections that the authority could finish the financial year under budget.
However, Councillor Murphy questioned whether some efficiencies may have affected services, including education provision and safeguarding.
He also highlighted that councillors had previously reduced proposed education cuts during last year’s budget process following cross-party support.
Political tensions
The statement also criticised the position of councillors from other parties, questioning whether Labour and Plaid members would support reductions in education spending given the current challenges facing schools.
It further referenced previous proposals from Liberal Democrats councillors for higher council tax increases to protect school funding, suggesting the current position appeared inconsistent.
The Independent Group says it will only support the budget if education cuts are removed, placing what it describes as safeguarding, wellbeing and educational attainment as its priority.
The Herald has approached Pembrokeshire County Council for comment.
Community
Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby
TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s annual pancake races brought residents and visitors together for a day of family-friendly fun.
The much-loved tradition, held to mark Shrove Tuesday, saw competitors of all ages take to the streets armed with frying pans, attempting to race while flipping pancakes without dropping them. Spectators lined the route in good spirits, many wrapped up against the chilly weather, as children, families and local groups took part.

Among the highlights were enthusiastic young racers proudly showing off their pancake-flipping skills, with some managing impressive mid-air flips while others focused on simply reaching the finish line with their pancake still intact. The event created plenty of memorable moments for families watching and taking part.
RNLI volunteers also joined the celebrations, bringing colour and community spirit to the occasion in their distinctive yellow gear, alongside a mascot character who proved popular with children.

The races form part of Tenby’s traditional Shrove Tuesday celebrations, which continue to be an important date in the town’s community calendar. Organisers said the event is designed to bring people together, celebrate local traditions and create a fun experience for families during the school half-term period.

Younger participants also took to the course in dedicated children’s races, many concentrating hard as they carefully balanced their pancakes while moving along the route under the watchful eyes of parents and marshals.
With smiles all round and plenty of successful pancake flips, the event once again proved why Tenby’s pancake races remain a cherished annual tradition for the community.

Photos: Gareth Davies / Herald.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business10 hours agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community2 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime7 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate7 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold
-
Community3 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature








