Community
Theme park celebrates ‘Dad of the year’
A fundraising father who took part in a gruelling challenge has been awarded ‘Dad of the Year’ at the Radio Pembrokeshire Local Hero Awards 2014 earlier this month.
The award, which is sponsored by Oakwood Theme Park, was handed over to Pembroke dad Jeff Davies by the Park’s director Dominic Jones. Jeff was nominated by his daughter Charlotte Hawkes after raising more than £5,000 for the chemotherapy unit at Withybush Hospital.
After losing both his father and his father-in-law to lung cancer, Jeff set himself the challenge of walking and cycling the 177-mile length of Offa’s dyke in seven days.
He actually managed to complete the challenge in six days and, along with a charity disco, raised over £5,000 for the unit.
“My dad is always thinking of other people and it is very rare that you will find him not doing something for others,” said Charlotte.
“Over the years he has also taken part in numerous events for local charities and organised a golf day for years in aid of arthritis charities.
“When I found out I was pregnant earlier this year and had to move to a bigger house, my dad worked every hour under the sun to get my house ready not to mention the financial help he gave me at the same time,” she added.
This is the second year Oakwood Theme Park has sponsored the award and Park Director Dominic Jones believes it’s important to support and showcase the extraordinary efforts of the community’s unsung heroes.
“It was a pleasure to be able to award Jeff with his prize and hear about his, and all the other finalists’, amazing contributions,” said Dominic.
“The awards ceremony is always a mix of happiness and sadness as you hear first hand about the enormous difficulties and challenges that people have to face and overcome.
“However it’s also an incredibly uplifting and inspiring evening and it’s a tremendous way to remind us all there are so many good people out there doing great things for others,” he added.
Oakwood Theme Park re-opens to the public on April 11th.
Community
Cardigan family’s urgent appeal after father suffers devastating stroke
Former pilot left unable to speak or swallow after collapsing while mowing lawn
A CARDIGAN family has launched an urgent appeal for help after a 72-year-old father suffered a massive stroke while mowing his garden, leaving him unable to speak, swallow or move the right side of his body.
Les Bell collapsed on Monday, May 11, after suffering what doctors described as an intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) – a serious form of haemorrhagic stroke caused by bleeding in the brain.
His daughter, Jessica Grieve, said the bleed was extensive and that her father remains in a critical condition on an acute stroke ward.
The former pilot, who now works as a flight training consultant at Gatwick Airport, is currently being fed through a tube and can only communicate through eye contact, small nods and grunts.
Jessica said: “Dad has lost the right-hand side of his body, has to be tube fed as he’s not conscious enough to perform a swallow test, although it would seem the muscles on the right side of his throat aren’t working.
“He can’t talk. He can only communicate with brief eye contact, small nods and grunts.”
She added that doctors are still unable to predict her father’s long-term prognosis.
“We don’t know the prognosis, only time will tell, but he is in a critical condition and it’s likely to remain that way for some months,” she said.
The family is now facing a financial crisis after Les, who was the main income earner, became suddenly incapacitated.
Jessica said her father managed all household finances, while her mother is unable to work due to disabilities and her brother, Jake, is still suffering the effects of cancer treatment and cannot work full-time.
She is now applying for lasting power of attorney in order to access her father’s bank accounts, but said the process could take up to ten weeks.
In the meantime, the family say they are struggling to pay rent, bills and other essential costs.
Jessica has launched a GoFundMe appeal to support the family during the coming months.
She said: “I’m asking for donations of any kind to help them pay for the urgent bills while we’re waiting for other benefits and LPA to begin.
“If we can get them through the next couple of months we’d be so, so grateful.”
Anyone wishing can visit the GoFundMe page here: Help for the Family of Les Bell.
Photo caption:
Family by his side: Les Bell in hospital after suffering a devastating stroke while mowing the garden (Pic: GoFundMe).
Community
Stix Noodle Bar in Haverfordwest rewards visitors who park and shop local
A POPULAR restaurant is taking on one of the town centre’s biggest frustrations with a new initiative designed to ease parking stress and encourage more visitors into the heart of the community.
Stix Noodle Bar has announced a new scheme offering customers money off their bill when they show proof of paid parking in the town.
Under the initiative, diners who present an active parking ticket or parking app booking will receive the equivalent cost of one hour’s parking deducted from their meal bill.
The business says the idea was created in response to ongoing concerns about local parking pressures, while also supporting neighbouring independent traders and encouraging more people to spend time in the town centre.
In a statement released alongside the launch, the restaurant said: “Tired of Haverfordwest’s parking stress? So are we. That’s why we’re doing something about it.”
The team behind the noodle bar is encouraging visitors to “park up, come in, eat well, then go explore some of the brilliant businesses right on our doorstep,” adding that “Haverfordwest is worth stopping for.”
The scheme has already received support from local representatives, including Reform Councillor, Scott Thorley, who praised the move as a practical way to support the town centre economy.
“This is an excellent idea,” he said. “Tackling parking stress while boosting local businesses and footfall in Haverfordwest — this is exactly the practical support our town centre needs.”
Community
Young people across West Wales offered support into green careers
YOUNG people across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys are being encouraged to take their next step into training, volunteering and paid work opportunities through Porth Gwyrdd.
Whether you are unsure about your future, struggling to find opportunities, looking to build confidence, or simply wanting to try something new, Porth Gwyrdd offers free, personalised support to help young people aged 16-30 move towards employment and new experiences.
The project supports young people from ethnic minority communities and those with disabilities to access opportunities within growing green sectors, while helping them develop valuable skills, confidence, and experience along the way.
Delivered through a partnership between Antur Cymru, Foothold Cymru, PLANED and Menter Gorllewin Sir Gâr, the project provides one-to-one support tailored to each young person’s interests, strengths and goals.
Young people taking part can access environmental training, volunteering experiences and paid work placements, while receiving guidance from a dedicated job coach. Opportunities range from hospitality and retail to conservation, farming, and heritage roles.
Jon Morgan, Porth Gwyrdd Project Manager, said: “There are countless young people who face additional barriers when trying to access employment and opportunities. Some of these barriers are visible, while others – such as dyslexia, neurodivergence, or the challenges faced by young people from ethnic minority communities – can often go unseen.
“At Porth Gwyrdd, we work alongside young people to help them recognise their strengths, build confidence, and realise their potential in ways that are accessible, supportive, and meaningful to them.”
The project also works closely with employers to create inclusive opportunities, while helping organisations develop a more sustainable and diverse future workforce. Porth Gwyrdd is funded through the Dormant Assets Scheme and distributed by The National Lottery Community Fund.
Young people and employers interested in finding out more, accessing support, or getting involved can visit: www.porthgwyrdd.org.uk
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies burglary at Haverfordwest property








private security credentialing
January 5, 2026 at 10:14 pm
This post really resonated with me. Keep up the good work.