Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Council elects new Chairman and deputy

Published

on

COUNCILLOR Tom Richards took over as the new Chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council from Cllr Arwyn Williams at the annual council meeting Last Friday.

Cllr Wynne Evans will be his new Vice Chairman after he was chosen over Cllr Phil Baker by 40 votes to 15.

Outgoing Chairman Arwyn Williams said: “This is a sad day for me, but it has been a very happy and enjoyable past 12 months. I am pleased to be handing over the role into the very capable hands of Tom Richards”.

Cllr Williams went on to mention various events that he had the privilege of witnessing during his time as chairman – none more so than his visit with the Queen last week.

He also paid tribute to those who had worked tirelessly during the storms at the start of the year.

He concluded by saying: “I want to thank you, the members, I may not have seen eye to eye with all of you but I appreciate your support. I thank you for the honour you bestowed on me 12 months ago, I’ve done my best”.

Cllr Huw George gave a vote of thanks to Cllr Williams saying: “You can look back with pride on what you’ve done. You’ve done a good job, you’ve done it well”.

Cllr Tom Richards said: “I am looking forward to the next 12 months, not only outside but serving here in the chamber. I hope that we can make decisions for the benefit of our county”.

Councillor Tom Richards joined the Council in its inception in 1996 as the member for the Letterston electoral division.

Sixty-year-old Councillor Richards was born in St Ishmaels to a Pembrokeshire farming family which can trace its roots in the county back to the 1700s.

The family moved to farm in Hayscastle in 1963. Councillor Richards attended St Ishmaels and Hayscastle primary schools and later Haverfordwest Grammar School for Boys.

After school, he went back to the family livestock and arable farm in Hayscastle. The 200-acre farm is now tenanted, and Councillor Richards lives in a former rectory nearby with his wife Mel. He also owns a farm in Croesgoch.

Councillor Richards is vice-chairman of the Corporate Governance, Economy Overview and Scrutiny, and Audit committees, as well as being a member of several other committees.

He has also served as a community councillor since his twenties, and is still on Hayscastle Community Council as well as serving as a governor of Ysgol Ger y Llan.

He and Mel, who also comes from an established Pembrokeshire farming family, have two daughters. The eldest, Sophie, is a chemical engineer in France, and the youngest, Julie, is a consultant for Deloittes in London.

Councillor Richards succeeds Councillor Arwyn Williams of Pembroke as Chairman. He was proposed for office by Councillor David Lloyd and seconded by Councillor Rhys Sinnett.

A vote of thanks to the outgoing Chairman was proposed by the Deputy Leader of the Authority, Councillor Huw George.

The Council’s new Vice Chairman is Councillor Wynne Evans who represents the electoral division of Narberth.

Cllr Evans described it as “A very momentous day for me”.

The ceremony in County Hall, Haverfordwest, was attended by the Lord Lieutenant of Dyfed, The Hon Robin Lewis OBE.

 

councile

Pictured left to right are: (seated) Councillor Arwyn Williams, Chief Executive Bryn Parry-Jones, Councillor Tom Richards, Mrs Mel Richards, Councillor Wynne Evans, The Hon. Robin Lewis, (standing) Mrs Elizabeth Williams, Mrs Sarah Parry-Jones, Councillor Rob Lewis, Councillor Jamie Adams, Councillor Huw George, Mrs Gwyneth John (Vice-Chairman’s Consort) and Mrs Judith Lewis

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. flying with pets on a private jet

    April 10, 2026 at 11:24 pm

    This was very informative. I appreciate the clarity and depth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Thousands in Milford Haven urged to check broadband upgrade availability

Published

on

THOUSANDS of homes and businesses in Milford Haven can now access Full Fibre broadband following a £2.1m investment by Openreach.

The upgrade means around 7,000 properties in the town are now able to move to faster and more reliable internet connections, with 85% of premises in the area covered by the new network.

Openreach says many residents and businesses may still be using slower connections because the upgrade is not automatic. Customers need to place an order through their chosen broadband provider to switch to Full Fibre.

Martin Williams, Partnership Director for Wales and the South West, said: “Most of Milford Haven is now covered by Full Fibre, but many residents and businesses still haven’t made the switch. It’s not automatic – you need to place an order with your chosen broadband provider.

“The difference in speed and reliability can be significant, especially for busy households or people working from home. We want to make sure everyone knows what’s available and how to get it.

“Openreach is committed to building the best Full Fibre network, and doing it sustainably. Through our Let’s Reach Zero strategy, we’re working to reduce carbon emissions, use fewer resources, cut waste, and protect nature wherever we operate.”

Full Fibre is designed to offer faster downloads, more stable connections and better performance when several devices are being used at the same time.

Openreach says the service can support modern online use including streaming, gaming, video calls, home working, online banking and running a business.

The company’s Full Fibre network now reaches 22 million homes and businesses across the UK. It plans to extend this to 25 million by the end of 2026, with the potential to reach 30 million by 2030 if investment conditions remain supportive.

Residents can check whether their property is able to upgrade by using Openreach’s Full Fibre checker.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Development Bank marks record charity year with £88,000 raised for bigmoose

Published

on

STAFF at the Development Bank of Wales have raised more than £88,000 for mental health charity bigmoose during a record-breaking year of fundraising.

The money raised by the bank’s 280-strong team, including colleagues from subsidiary FW Capital, will help fund fast access to therapy and counselling for more than 170 people experiencing mental health challenges across the UK.

The partnership was the Development Bank’s tenth charity partnership and has become its most successful fundraising year to date.

Colleagues took part in a range of fundraising activities during the year, with the final total reflecting what the bank said was the commitment of staff across the organisation.

The Development Bank has now announced Maggie’s as its new charity partner for 2026/27, in memory of Dr Carl Griffiths, a much-loved colleague who died in autumn 2025 following a short battle with cancer.

Maggie’s provides free expert cancer support to people living with cancer, as well as their family and friends, through centres based alongside NHS hospitals across the UK.

Support includes psychological, emotional and practical help, benefits advice, coping strategies and one-to-one counselling.

Fundraising for Maggie’s will run throughout the year, with staff from the Development Bank and FW Capital taking part in activities to raise money and awareness for the charity’s work.

Jeff Smith, CEO and co-founder of bigmoose, said: “176 people will now receive a full course of therapy because of the support from the Development Bank of Wales and FW Capital. That’s the power of partnerships like this – people getting the support they need, when they need it.

“With mental health services stretched to breaking point, bigmoose exists to disrupt how people access support by providing fast, effective therapy before people hit crisis point. Support from the Development Bank of Wales and FW Capital allows us to keep delivering that service to the people who need it most.”

Rachael Davies, Fundraising Manager at Maggie’s, said: “We’re incredibly grateful to the Development Bank of Wales Group for choosing Maggie’s as their Charity of the Year for 2026/27. Partnerships like this play a vital role in allowing us to keep our doors open and ensure that no one has to face cancer alone.

“We’re really looking forward to working with colleagues over the coming year and are thankful for their commitment to supporting people affected by cancer.”

Andrea Richardson, Chair of the Development Bank of Wales Charity Oversight Committee, said: “We’re incredibly proud of what our colleagues have achieved in support of bigmoose. Raising more than £88,000 over the past year is a record for us and reflects the generosity, commitment and energy of teams across the organisation.

“As we move into our new partnership with Maggie’s, we’re excited to build on that momentum and continue supporting charities that make a real, tangible difference to people and communities across the UK.”

Representatives from the Development Bank of Wales present a cheque to bigmoose.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Child of Wales Awards honoured with royal invitation

Published

on

ORGANISERS of the Child of Wales Awards have been recognised for their work supporting and celebrating young people across Wales after attending a Buckingham Palace Garden Party.

Mark and Blanche Sainsbury, from Swansea, founders of the Ascona Group Child of Wales Awards, were invited to the royal event this month in recognition of the positive impact the awards continue to have on children, families and communities.

The awards were established five years ago to celebrate the courage, resilience and achievements of young people across Wales.

Each year, the event recognises children and young people who have overcome adversity, supported others, raised awareness for important causes, or made exceptional contributions to their communities.

Speaking after the garden party, Mark and Blanche said the invitation had been both humbling and emotional.

They said: “It was an incredible day and everything you’d expect from enjoying afternoon tea at the King’s home, but we really were just representatives of our team.

“This invitation belonged to the amazing young people, families, supporters and partners who make the Ascona Group Child of Wales Awards what they are.

“Every year we hear stories of courage, kindness and determination that remind us just how remarkable young people in Wales truly are. Representing the awards at Buckingham Palace was a proud moment not just for us, but for everyone involved.”

Now in its fifth year, the awards have become one of Wales’ leading celebration events, bringing together families, sponsors, celebrities and supporters from across the country.

This year’s ceremony will take place on Friday, October 2, at Swansea Building Society Arena. It will be hosted by BBC presenter Gethin Jones and will feature a live performance from The Brand New Heavies.

Organisers say the event sold out seven months in advance, reflecting its growing profile and the strength of the stories at the heart of the awards.

The awards also raise funds for Welsh charities supporting children and young people.

Headline sponsor Ascona Group, which is headquartered in Pembrokeshire, is one of the UK’s fastest-growing forecourt operators, employing more than 900 people across more than 70 sites.

The company’s Ascona Giving Foundation supports community projects, children’s sports teams and foodbank charities, and has donated more than £800,000 since 2017. Ascona Group has also pledged to donate £1m to Wales Air Ambulance over the next ten years.

Photo caption:

Mark and Blanche Sainsbury attended the Buckingham Palace Garden Party in May.

 

Continue Reading

Community2 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime3 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week