Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Haverfordwest: Over 150 people at anti-Tory rally in Castle Square

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE PEOPLE’S ASSEMBLY and Momentum West Wales held a rally on Saturday (Nov 16) on Castle Square, Haverfordwest which was themed ‘UnseatStephen Crabb The Sequel’ – following on from a similar rally last year. The plan, say organisers, was to raise awareness of the damage that has been done to society under ten years of Tory austerity and cuts and to ultimately Unseat both Stephen Crabb and Simon Hart at the General Election next month.  There is a similar rally planned to take place on Guildhall Square, Carmarthen on Sunday (Nov 24) and organisers say that the Tory Free Zone Campaign is “already taking off and gaining much traction and support around the two counties.” The rally on Saturday was attended by around 150 people, and featured speakers from a wide variety of campaign groups and unions.  

Protesters criticised Stephen Crabb, who tweeted on the day of the rally inferring that ‘Labour’ had bussed people in for the event.  

Jim Scott, Convener of Pembrokeshire People’s Assembly commented: “Stephen should check his facts before making false claims about the events we are putting to Unseat him, It’s encouraging to know that he’s’rattled’ by what we are doing here, and of course he will be very rattled, as his 314 vote margin is likely to be lost altogether on December 12 so he must be very nervous in the knowledge that he’s likely to lose his seat. However, Labour were not the organisers of the event and didn’t ‘bus’ anyone in. A handful of people came from Swansea to support the rally, two of whom were official speakers for the rally, when you think about it though. this is more of an indictment on Crabb’s record as an MP. The very fact he is vehemently disliked by so many people in West Wales that some are willing to travel from s far as Swansea says far more about ‘him’ and his Party of austerity than it does about ‘us’, but then we wouldn’t expect Stephen to understand the concept of people supporting each other in struggle, that would be anathema to his thinking and his Party of the super-rich! ” Stevie Jones, Secretary for Momentum West Wales said before the tally: “In 2017, the Unseat Campaign, working together with activists across the People’s Assembly and broader left levelled the biggest rally against neighbouring Tory Stephen Crabb since the Suffragettes came to West Wales!  Labour are rising hour by hour in the polls at a rate that is now unstoppable.

“Simon Hart’s majority stands at just 3,110, and Labour gained a massive 5,089votes in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire in the last election. We knowwe can unseat him on 12th December and this starts with starts with peopletalking in their workplaces, around kitchen tables, online and to friends,family to get the message out there that Labour can and will win.

“But that’s not where it ends.  “Momentum, who started a mass canvassing movement so huge that it won6,865 new votes with an epic 150-person door-knocking team to unseat Byron Davies in the Gower for Labour in 2017, has been growing in West Wales since2017, and we are ready.”

Berry Daines who was the Green Party candidate who stood down in order to back Marc Tierney said:”I was pleased to support the Unseat Crabb rally in Haverfordwest. Pembrokeshire has parliamentary representatives who choose to vote against the interests and well-being of their constituents. It was good to spend the afternoon with friends who are looking forward to voting for candidates who are willing to consider far greener policies.” Cerith Griffiths – Fire Brigades Union (FBU) Executive Council Member for Wales said: “I don’t think it can be understated how important this rally was given we’re about a month away from one of the most pivotal elections of our time. In terms of the fire & rescue service and during this decade or so of austerity, we’ve seen 10’s of fire stations close, dozens of fire appliances removed from service and we see 12,000 fewer firefighters keeping us safe day and night. Statistics released earlier this week show that the number of fires we attend has increased and the number of people dying from fire has also increased. Investment is desperately needed in the fire & rescue service and we simply cannot afford another five years of Tory ideology.’

Nimisha Trivedi – Stand Up to Racism Wales said: “It was important tosupport the rally as during this election, anti-immigration and anti-migrant policies are going to be pushed by the government and others to continue pushing their hostile racist agenda.  “It is crucial that all anti racists challenge this and defend the right of refugees, migrants and freedom of movement. Matthew Shepherd – Communications Officer for Swansea Council Unison said:“I supported this inspiring event in a personal capacity because all workers in the public and private sector have been hammered by the Tories. We need strong and fighting unions to keep our rights – and a radical Labour government to roll back the attacks on our lives inflicted by Tory austerity. A great event and let’s make Wales Tory-free!” Moira Jenkins – Pembrokeshire WASPI said: “It was inspiring and humbling to represent Pembrokeshire WASPI and be part of such an amazing event that brought the community together with a common goal.  

Philippa Thompson, Labour Parliamentary Candidate for Preseli Pembrokeshire, who spoke at the rally added: “I believe in equality,fairness and social justice.Austerity – the cuts to our public services – has been a political choice and many people here in this Pembrokeshire have faced hardship because of this Tory choice. Families, working families, should not need to rely on foodbanks – local charities to an amazing job helping people in incredibly difficult circumstances. “I’ve met families whose lives have been put under intolerable stress through the process around payments to people unable to work because of illness or disability. It’s been reported in the news only recently that four in five appeals in Wales against UK Tory Government decisions to deny people disability benefits succeeded. What an inhumane system that is. “The Welsh budget has been consistently cut by the Tories. That impacts on the levers available to the Welsh Government to invest in our public services. I’m standing for the Labour Party because I believe a Labour Government will invest in our country to bring about real change”.

Community

Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

Published

on

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.

The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.

To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.

Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”

The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity9 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business20 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week