Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Health

All four UK Chief Medical Officers recommend UK moves to ‘Alert Level 5’

Published

on

FOLLOWING advice from the Joint Biosecurity Centre and in the light of the most recent data, the four UK Chief Medical Officers and NHS England Medical Director have today (Jan 4) recommended that the UK Alert Level should move from Level 4 to Level 5.

In a joint statement the medical officers said: “Many parts of the health systems in the four nations are already under immense pressure. There are currently very high rates of community transmission, with substantial numbers of COVID patients in hospitals and in intensive care. Cases are rising almost everywhere, in much of the country driven by the new more transmissible variant. We are not confident that the NHS can handle a further sustained rise in cases and without further action there is a material risk of the NHS in several areas being overwhelmed over the next 21 days.

“Although the NHS is under immense pressure, significant changes have been made so people can still receive lifesaving treatment. It is absolutely critical that people still come forward for emergency care. If you require non-urgent medical attention, please contact your GP or call NHS111.”

The recommendation is from Chief Medical Officer for Wales, Dr Frank Atherton; Chief Medical Officer for England, Professor Chris Whitty; Chief Medical Officer for Scotland, Dr Gregor Smith
Chief Medical Officer for Northern Ireland, Dr Michael McBride; NHS England, National Medical Director Professor Stephen Powis.

 

Health

Pharmacy services review launched across west Wales

Published

on

Residents asked to help shape future provision in Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion

PEOPLE across Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion are being asked to give their views on the future of community pharmacy services.

Hywel Dda University Health Board has launched a consultation on its updated draft Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment, which looks at current pharmacy provision, any gaps in services, and what may be needed in future.

Health boards in Wales have been required since October 2021 to publish a Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment. The document must be updated every five years and is used to help guide decisions about how pharmacy services are developed and improved.

The latest draft assessment has been prepared following engagement with community pharmacy contractors and members of the public earlier this year.

The health board is now inviting further feedback before a final version is published later in 2026.

The survey opened on Monday (May 18) and will close on Friday, July 17.

Residents can take part online, pick up a paper copy from their local pharmacy, or request a copy by emailing [email protected] or calling 0300 303 8322 and selecting option five.

Rhian Bond, Assistant Director of Primary Care for Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “This is an important opportunity for people to share their experiences of community pharmacy services and tell us how they could be improved.

“Community pharmacies play a vital role in supporting people’s health and wellbeing. They are often the first point of contact for advice, treatment and support.

“By providing feedback you can help us ensure services are accessible, effective and meet the needs of communities now and in the future.”

The final Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment will be published later this year on the health board’s website, along with a summary of the feedback received.

 

Continue Reading

Health

Welsh charity calls for live-saving prostate cancer screening

Published

on

PROSTATE CYMRU is calling for routine prostate cancer testing as the UK Government prepares to make a final decision on whether to introduce a national screening programme.

The Welsh charity says too many men are still being diagnosed late, despite prostate cancer affecting one in eight men, one in four Black men, and one in three men with a family history of the disease.

Last year, the National Screening Committee opened a public consultation after issuing a draft recommendation against screening all men. It also did not support a targeted screening programme for Black men or those with a family history, despite their higher risk.

A final decision is expected this month.

‘Early diagnosis is key’

Andy Thomas, chair of Prostate Cymru and a recently retired consultant urological surgeon, said early diagnosis remained crucial.

He said: “Early diagnosis is key. In Wales, the impact of prostate cancer is significant, affecting one in eight men, and one in three with a family history. Often, it doesn’t present with any symptoms, so it is essential that men get tested.

“Currently, you only get tested if you request it, or if you have a proactive GP that recommends it. But we constantly hear of men who have difficulties in getting a GP appointment, and in some cases even being refused a test.

“And what about the men who don’t think to ask for a test? We need a screening programme.”

Because of concerns about access through GP surgeries, Prostate Cymru has been running its own PSA testing events with support from commercial sponsors.

In 2025, 200 men who attended the charity’s events received a “red alert”, advising them to seek urgent medical advice. That represented almost 6% of all those tested.

Mr Thomas added: “We do what we can. But we are a charity and we simply cannot test everyone.

“The government needs to be more proactive in raising awareness among those most at risk and it needs to educate and advise GPs so that men aren’t refused tests or feel dissuaded.”

‘This can’t come down to luck’

Among those now calling for change is Cardiff man Kervin Julien, a Black Caribbean man who was told two days before Christmas that he had prostate cancer.

Kervin, a Radio Cardiff presenter and Justice for Cardiff Five campaigner, has since undergone surgery and is using his experience to raise awareness, particularly among Black men.

He said: “The government is lingering on a decision that could save lives. With one in eight men getting prostate cancer, we need screening. And with one in four Black men getting it, we definitely need screening.

“Many men make excuses for certain symptoms that they might be going through, and we don’t talk about these things. And lots of men don’t even have any symptoms but still have prostate cancer.

“A screening programme would mean it wouldn’t rely on men being proactive and having to ask for a test.”

Kervin said he now wanted to campaign for screening and create greater awareness among younger Black men.

He added: “What if I hadn’t gone to the doctor? What if I hadn’t had a PSA test?”

‘Without the test, I would not have known’

James Roberts, 59, from Abergele, was diagnosed with stage three prostate cancer after attending a Prostate Cymru PSA testing event in Colwyn Bay last summer.

He said he had previously approached his GP practice about a PSA test but felt dissuaded from having one.

James said: “I am stage three, so that means the cancer has spread outside the prostate but it hasn’t gone into my bones or the lymph nodes. It’s what they call advanced. Had they caught it earlier, I could have had surgery to remove it.

“Women routinely have smears and mammograms, so why are we getting left behind?

“Policy makers are arguing that it isn’t reliable, but this blood test takes five minutes and it’s a marker. It indicates whether you need further tests.

“Without Prostate Cymru and the PSA test, I wouldn’t have known anything about this and it would have ended up being stage four.”

‘It was just luck’

Swansea man Dean Hopkins, also 59, was first tested by his GP in 2017 and was advised to return in three years.

But when the Covid pandemic hit, Dean struggled to get an appointment and, with no obvious symptoms, let it slide.

He later spotted an advert for a Prostate Cymru testing event while watching football in Swansea. After attending, he received a red alert and was later diagnosed with stage three prostate cancer.

Dean has undergone radiotherapy and is now receiving hormone therapy and steroid medication. He will continue to be monitored for the rest of his life.

He said: “We need a national screening programme because it was just luck that I saw an advert for the Prostate Cymru event.

“This can’t just come down to luck or whether you have a GP that takes it seriously. We all need to be screened.

“If I’d been tested in 2020, this would have been caught earlier. I feel I missed out on six or seven years, in which time my cancer was growing.”

Prostate Cymru is continuing to run testing events this summer while urging men, particularly those at higher risk, to speak to their GP about a PSA test.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Health chiefs to be questioned over Withybush hospital service changes

Published

on

HEALTH BOARD members are to be quizzed by Pembrokeshire councillors next month over changes to services at Withybush Hospital.

At the March meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council, an emergency notice of motion by the council’s 11-strong Conservative Party group demanded that the Welsh Government immediately reverses the decision to cease emergency general surgery at Withybush Hospital.

Last year, Hywel Dda University Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.

At a two-day meeting earlier this year, the board, amongst its many other decisions, backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).

At the March council meeting, the Conservative council group, led by Cllr Di Clements, proposed a motion which read: “This council requests that the Labour Welsh Government intervenes in Hywel Dda University Health Board’s recent decision to cease emergency general surgery at Withybush hospital and immediately reverses their decision.

“We believe removing this service critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A&E department.

“Also, the decision by the Health Board does not take into account the impact and potential serious risks it will have on Pembrokeshire residents.”

Cllr Clements’ supporting statement, which included a call for the-then Leader Cllr Jon Harvery to write to the First Minister and Welsh Government, said Pembrokeshire residents “have seen continual downgrading of services over the years, and this has been detrimental to all residents,” adding: “We believe this recent decision is life threatening to those who need emergency surgery and a matter of resident’s safety.”

At the meeting, Cllr Michael John said “there had been an erosion of services for many years,” supporting Cllr Clements’ call, but proposing the addition of calling on the health board to meet with councillors.

Following the request by Cllr Clements, Leader Cllr Jon Harvey agreed to any letter writing, saying he had “fought long and hard to return services to Withybush”.

Members backed Cllr Clements’ call, with Cllr John’s amendment added.

Since then an update was received at the May 14 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council.

A report for members said, following the March meeting, Cllr Harvey, wrote to the-then First Minister Eluned Morgan on March 10, with Chief Executive Will Bramble also writing to the chief executive of  Hywel Dda University Health Board advising him of council’s decision on the same date, requesting his and the Board chair’s attendance at the May council meeting.

It said, since then, Health Board Chair Dr Neil Wooding and Chief Executive Professor Phil Kloer have agreed to attend an Extraordinary Meeting of the council on June 15 to brief the council on service changes and specifically the issue of emergency general surgery, with members having the opportunity to ask questions on the presentation.

Members agreed to note the report ahead of the special June meeting.

 

Continue Reading

Community7 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime8 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health3 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week