Community
Get Up Close and Personal with ex MP and Strictly contestant Ann Widdecombe

LOVE her or loathe her, Ann Widdecombe, former Conservative MP and TV personality, simply cannot be ignored – and now Boulevard Showbar, in Milford Haven, is giving you the opportunity to get up close and personal with this former Strictly Come Dancing and Big Brother contestant.
Ann Widdecombe will be appearing live at Boulevard on November 12 – ready to tell her story, in her own words. She’ll talk about her political career – she joined John Major’s government as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Social Security in 1990. In 1993, she was moved to the Department of Employment, and she was promoted to Minister of State the following year. In 1995, she joined the Home Office as Minister of State for Prisons and visited every prison in the UK. After the Conservative landslide defeat at the 1997 general election, she served as Shadow Health Secretary between 1998–1999 and later as Shadow Home Secretary from 1999 to 2001 under the leadership of William Hague.
Once her political career ended she has rarely been off our screens – either appearing in reality shows – who could forget her paso doble with Anton Du Beke – and that canary-coloured, emu feathered dress – or more serious documentaries; particularly focusing on her traditional Conservative views.
Never afraid to be controversial – or a figure of fun – an evening with Ann Widdicombe will never be dull.
You can get your tickets at boulevardshowbar.com
Community
Ground breaking event marks start of key Haverfordwest Public Transport project

KIER and Pembrokeshire County Council held a traditional ground breaking event at Haverfordwest Public Transport Interchange (HPTI) last month – celebrating the official start of work on site.
Council members including the Leader Councillor Jon Harvey, Deputy Leader Councillor Paul Miller, Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services Councillor Rhys Sinnett and for Haverfordwest Castle ward Councillor Thomas Tudor, joined Kier for the event with the ceremonial breaking of the ground marking a key milestone in the project’s progress.
The scheme includes the construction of a modern bus station and multi-storey car park to Haverfordwest’s town centre, providing a new interchange for buses and coaches, with upgraded passenger facilities.
Designed by architects BDP and built by Kier, the completed scheme will include more than 300 parking spaces, seven bus bays, public toilets and accessible changing facilities for people with disabilities.
The project also has a number of sustainable features including electric vehicle charging facilities and an array of solar panels on the roof which will supply the vast majority of the building’s energy usage and help Pembrokeshire County Council meet their commitment to be net zero carbon by 2030.
Ian Rees, regional director at Kier Construction Western & Wales, said: “We have been on site for a number of months now undertaking essential enabling works, this ground breaking ceremony is an important milestone as we progress into the construction phase of this vitally important transport hub.
“This transport interchange for Pembrokeshire County Council will really begin to take shape over the coming weeks and months and will ultimately deliver a much-needed, modern transport hub for the local community, improving connectivity and accessibility for residents and visitors alike.”
Cllr Paul Miller, Deputy Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council, said: “It’s great to see work starting on this new transport interchange, which is an important part of the wider Haverfordwest Masterplan. It’s designed to make it easy and convenient to visit Haverfordwest town centre which is a key part of our efforts to regenerate the town.
“I think we can all agree the previous multi-story car park had reached the end of its useful life.
“Once we’ve completed this project, the town centre will be easily accessible both by bus and of course by car with the car park element of the project benefiting from wider spaces, EV Charging, single tap exit and payment and of course a much nicer, lighter and safer environment for users.”
Architects, landscape architects and civil and structural engineers from multidisciplinary design practice BDP designed the transport interchange.
Matthew Mayes, architect director at BDP, said: “This significant regeneration scheme will be transformational for local people, offering improved access to bus, taxi and cycling facilities with excellent connectivity to the riverside, shopping centre and railway centre.
“Our designs include striking aluminium fins that wrap around the building with stone cladding at ground level to reflect the town’s historic features and a new public square with plenty of greenery and seating for people to relax.”
Built on the site of a demolished multi-storey car park and bus station, HPTI will form part of the South West Wales Metro project, which aims to better integrate sustainable modes of transport and complements the wider regeneration work in Haverfordwest.
The design of HPTI is being funded from the Welsh Government’s Local Transport Fund.
Kier has significant experience in south-west Wales spanning over 60 years and has included the delivery of schools, hospitals and even the home of Welsh television, S4C, in Carmarthen.
This project was procured by Kier through the South West Wales Regional Contractors Framework (SWWRCF).
Community
New houses in Hook included in Council affordable homes plan

PLANS to buy 10 two bedroom properties in the village of Hook, have been approved by Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Planning and Housing Delivery.
The acquisition will be funded with grant support from Welsh Government, and Kooner Properties Ltd is currently developing the site.
Cllr Michelle Bateman, Cabinet Member for Housing, said: “Given the high demand for affordable housing in communities across Pembrokeshire, securing this site is a positive news story.
“Increasing supply of affordable housing is a key commitment for this administration and these high quality new homes in Hook form part of a wider development programme which includes sites across the County. I look forward to working with the local community on a local lettings policy for these properties.”
A community engagement event concerning the local lettings policy will be held on Wednesday, 9th April, 4.30pm to 6.00pm, at Hook Sports and Social Club, Newtown Road, Hook.
Interested applicants will need to have an up-to-date housing application.
Cllr Michael John, Local Member for Llangwm, said: “The shortage of affordable homes in our villages has been an issue raised with me many times over the years, and it is therefore a welcome move to see the council purchasing these new, high quality affordable homes in Hook.
“It is very good to see that there will be a strong local letting policy agreed with the community council, as this go some way to meet the local demand and will certainly help young local families stay in their local area.
“I would like to thank the housing team at PCC for their work in securing these properties for village.”
If you have any queries please email the Customer Liaison Team at devCLO@pembrokeshire.gov.uk or phone them on 01437 764551, or view Housing’s Facebook page.
Community
Milford Haven Town Council seeks nominations for 2025 Citizens’ Awards

MILFORD HAVEN TOWN COUNCIL is inviting residents to put forward their local heroes for recognition in this year’s Citizens’ Awards.
The annual awards celebrate the efforts of individuals and groups who go above and beyond to make Milford Haven a better place—voluntarily and without any form of payment.
Nominations are now open, and members of the public are encouraged to take a moment to think about those who deserve a special thank you. Whether it’s someone who supports vulnerable neighbours, leads a youth group, organises community events, or simply goes out of their way to help others, the Town Council wants to hear about them.
A spokesperson for the council said: “These awards are a fantastic way to recognise the unsung heroes of our town—the people whose efforts too often go unnoticed. If you know someone who gives their time freely to benefit the local community, we urge you to nominate them.”
Nominations must be submitted by 12:00pm on Tuesday, April 22, 2025.
To obtain a nomination form:
- Email: admin@milfordhaven-tc.gov.wales
- Contact the Town Council via its Facebook page
- Telephone: 01646 692505 to request a postal form
Please note: Awards can only be granted to those working in a voluntary capacity, and previous award recipients are not eligible for nomination.
For inspiration, you can view highlights from last year’s ceremony via Milford Haven Town Council’s Facebook page:
facebook.com/milfordhaventowncouncil/posts/pfbid02f7WhKXhjtDxEqV68ujznDvFX89yhBYe8dQgXtqqY19Yb7bC7SeNYW6Ua42E4Ehevl
The council encourages everyone to get involved and help shine a light on the incredible community spirit that defines Milford Haven.
-
Charity7 days ago
Emergency services unite for charity at Pembroke Dock Fire Station
-
Education7 days ago
Supported employment learners take off on airport adventure
-
Community7 days ago
Funeral arrangements confirmed for popular local entertainer, Matt Baker
-
Business5 days ago
SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility
-
Crime5 days ago
Pembrokeshire farm worker accused of threatening to burn employer’s farm
-
Crime5 days ago
‘Yeah but no but’ insult to female officer lands Monkton man with court fine
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembrokeshire beach dog ban enforcement changes expected
-
Features5 days ago
‘We weren’t wild. We were unprotected’: A generation groomed and forgotten