News
Cars to remain banned from Pembrokeshire beach this summer
NEWPORT SANDS, which became car-free last year, will remain so, but early stages of a £350,000 scheme to improve facilities have been backed by members of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
Last May, the Authority ended parking on the Newport Sands beach after purchasing the land, in response to growing safety concerns.
It said the beach would be a ‘car-free’ zone, with exceptions only allowed for emergency services and essential car users such as the RNLI and coastguards.
A petition was later launched demanding a backtrack, saying an outright ban will have an adverse effect on a wide cross-section of beach users, including disabled visitors.
Last July, members of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park’s authority agreed to keep the car-free resolution, with a further update and report being provided after the first car-free summer, along with “actively pursuing options of how to improve access for people living with disability”.
Between October and November of last year, the Park also ran an online public consultation regarding the future of Traeth Mawr, with 107 responses received, members of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park’s authority meeting of March 20 heard.
A report for members said: “There is evident anger that access to the beach has been stopped for vehicles, as well as praise for this decision,” adding, amongst other issues: “There is a theme that current access for the disabled population is not where it needs to be with investment needed for a variety of mobility equipment, parking options, changing places toilets and changing/ cleaning facilities.”
It went on to say: “The Authority has considered these responses in drawing up a specific project for Traeth Mawr, seeking to use funding available as part of the Special Landscapes Special Places fund.”
Detailing the project, the report said: “The Authority has developed a project proposal to enhance the existing car park at Traeth Mawr, to replace and upgrade the existing toilet block and provide an enhanced facility including a changing places area.
“Updated drainage facilities will be provided as part of these changes. Additional changes proposed include permeable surfaces in the overflow car park, improved ramps to access the beach and three permanent beach wheelchair storage areas. Enhanced landscaping and appropriate planting are also proposed to deliver net biodiversity benefits.”
The Park made £25,548 last year from parking at Traeth Mawr, but, as part of a wider two-year financial contributions to Pembrokeshire County Council to support public conveniences will be paying approximately £14,600 a year for Traeth Mawr for two years.
“It is anticipated that some of the capital works programmed will assist in reducing the annual revenue costs associated with running the facility if a more sustainable foul drainage solution and options such as small-scale solar PV panels can be incorporated as part of the design,” members heard.
Anticipated costs associated for the project are in the region of £330-£350,000, the report adding: “Precise costs will not be identified until further investigation works have concluded. The Authority has secured grant funding to meet the above outlined costs.”
A public consultation will take place as part of the planning application processes.
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime3 days agoMilford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident






