Crime
Court to hear disturbing case involving indecent images
A MAN from Monkton is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 20 August, facing multiple charges related to the creation, distribution, and possession of indecent images of children, as well as possessing an extreme pornographic image involving an animal.
Christopher James, 33, of Gwilliam Court, Monkton, Pembroke, is scheduled for his first hearing at 1:00 PM.
According to court documents, James is accused of making a total of 59 Category A indecent images of a child between 12th November 2021 and 25th February 2022. Category A images are considered the most extreme and involve penetrative sexual activity. The charge, brought under sections 1(1)(a) and 6 of the Protection of Children Act 1978, carries a maximum penalty of six months’ imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.
In addition, James faces charges for creating 40 Category B indecent images and 19 Category C indecent images during the same period. Category B images involve non-penetrative sexual activity, while Category C images include other indecent images not falling into the previous two categories. Each of these charges also carries the same potential penalty of six months’ imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.
Furthermore, James is accused of distributing 12 Category A and 28 Category B indecent images of children between 14th August 2021 and 28th October 2021. Distribution of such images is a serious offence under sections 1(1)(b) and 6 of the Protection of Children Act 1978.
James is also accused of possessing an extreme pornographic image depicting a person performing an explicit act with a dog, which was found on 24th February 2022. The maximum penalty for this offence is 12 months’ imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.
Crime
Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told
JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his horrific crimes “did not justify his killing in any way”.
Watkins, who was serving a 29-year sentence for child sex offences, was attacked in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield on October 11 last year.
Leeds Crown Court heard that Rico Gedel, 25, stabbed Watkins three times with a makeshift knife before allegedly passing the weapon to fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44.
Both men deny murder and possessing a knife in prison.
‘Done nothing to provoke attack’
Prosecutor Tom Storey KC told the jury on Monday that Watkins had “done nothing whatsoever” to provoke the attack in the period leading up to it.
He said: “However heinous his crimes were, that did not justify his killing in any way.”
The court has heard that Gedel hated being housed with sex offenders and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.
Gedel told the trial he chose Watkins largely because he was nearby, having been placed in the next cell the night before.
Alleged motive
Mr Storey said Gedel’s alleged words before the attack — “This is what paedophiles deserve” — were a clear indication of motive.
The prosecutor said Watkins had no defensive injuries and there was no sign of a struggle, meaning he was likely taken by surprise.
He told jurors that the repeated use of a makeshift knife showed an intention to kill or cause really serious harm.
The court heard Gedel was laughing after the stabbing and allegedly asked prison officers to “let me know when he dies”.
Knife allegation
Dodsworth denies supplying the weapon or helping with the attack.
Gedel claimed Dodsworth gave him the knife and later disposed of it, but Mr Storey told the jury Gedel had “every reason” to lie about him.
The prosecutor said CCTV appeared to show Gedel handing the weapon to Dodsworth after the attack, and suggested Dodsworth acted as if he knew what was happening.
Judge’s warning
Mr Justice Hilliard told jurors that Watkins had committed very serious offences, but “clearly should not have lost his life in prison while serving his sentence”.
He said they must not decide the case on sympathy, anger or disapproval, but on a “cool, calm, careful and impartial” assessment of the evidence.
Watkins was jailed in December 2013 after admitting a string of child sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.
The trial continues.
Crime
Police launch knife amnesty across Dyfed-Powys area
UNWANTED knives can be handed in at police stations across west Wales this week as part of a national campaign to tackle knife crime.
Dyfed-Powys Police is taking part in Sceptre, a national week of action running from Monday (May 18) to Sunday (May 24).
The campaign gives members of the public the chance to safely dispose of unwanted knives at police counters across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys.
Amnesty bins will be available at police stations in Carmarthen, Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Haverfordwest, Brecon and Newtown.
The week of action is also running alongside Knife Crime Awareness Week, organised by the Ben Kinsella Trust, which works to educate young people about the dangers of knife crime.
Inspector Darren Crockford said: “This is a vital week of action that we, along with forces UK-wide, participate in biannually. However, our dedicated push against knife-related crime never diminishes.
“Seizing knives and making arrests is an important part of the policing approach, however there is also focus on stopping the sale and supply of knives solely intended to harm, along with the supply to young people.
“We also work hard to identify potential knife carriers and engage with people to understand why they may choose to carry a knife, then offer the appropriate support.”
Police said neighbourhood policing and prevention teams will also be carrying out engagement and prevention work during the week.
Inspector Crockford added: “Carrying a knife does not make anyone safer – a knife usually makes a situation much worse.
“Policing cannot tackle this problem alone, so we will be engaging with our partners to signpost to intervention and diversion work to reduce the threat and risks of knife crime.
“Reinforcing the dangers of carrying knives is a vital step in ultimately trying to prevent the devastating consequences that knife crime can have, not just for victims and their families but the entire community.”
Police are asking anyone with concerns about knife crime to contact Dyfed-Powys Police on 101, or 999 in an emergency or if a crime is in progress.
Information can also be passed anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Concerns about unsafe public spaces can be reported through the StreetSafe website.
Unused knives and blades can also be disposed of safely at recycling centres. Residents are advised to check their local council website for details.
Crime
Haverfordwest garden tools stolen in Haven Road burglaries
POLICE are appealing for witnesses after garden tools were stolen from outbuildings in Haverfordwest.
Dyfed-Powys Police said officers are investigating two burglaries at separate addresses in the Haven Road area, following reports made over the last week.
The first burglary is believed to have happened on Monday, May 4, when gardening tools worth around £40 and an electric renovator valued at about £70 were taken.
A second burglary is believed to have taken place sometime between Friday, May 8 and Sunday, May 10. A Bosch hedge trimmer worth around £190 was stolen.
Anyone who saw anything suspicious in Haven Road, or who has CCTV or Ring doorbell footage which may assist the investigation, is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police.
Police can be contacted online, by emailing [email protected], by direct message on social media, or by calling 101.
Quote reference: DP-20260510-142.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town






