Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Sale of refinery is close to collapse

Published

on

MurcoONLY one bidder remains as a possible buyer for Murphy Oil’s 130,000 barrels-per-day Milford Haven refinery, but the process is close to collapse, a source familiar with the matter said on Sunday.
The refinery, operated by U.S. oil and gas company Murphy Oil subsidiary Murco, is the latest British plant to face closure as the industry battles lower demand and increased competition from new, modern refineries in the Middle East and Asia.
Officials at Murphy Oil were not immediately available for comment. The source told the Herald a last bidder was still in the running to buy the plant as a going concern although the bid was seen as having little chance of success.
Many analysts believe the plant is likely to be turned into a storage terminal.
The refinery has been up for sale for three years, but Murphy Oil has failed to find a buyer for the plant, which employs nearly 400 in West Wales.
It is believed that at least two companies were offered the plant for free, plus a dowry worth “tens of millions” of pounds.
Fears that the refinery could close follow the battle to save the Grangemouth refinery complex, on the Firth of Forth, Scotland.
A spokesman for the Welsh government said: “We maintain regular contact with Murco and will continue to communicate with them about their operation in Wales.”
Pembrokeshire councillor John Allen-Mirehouse, former cabinet member for regeneration and economic development on Pembrokeshire County Council said: “This is a turbulent time for oil refining and the industry in Pembrokeshire is not exempt from these pressures.
“I would be horrified if the refinery closed. The jobs there are very skilled, well paid and very important to the community.”
The Milford Haven refinery can process up to five million tonnes of crude oil per year. Murco bought 30% of the then Amoco refinery in 1981 and acquired the remaining 70% in December 2007.
It was first reported that the Milford Haven site was threatened last year when Murphy chief executive David Wood said that in the absence of an offer the company was “evaluating the potential conversion of the facility into a storage terminal”.
Since then, the plants economic performance has slipped further as oil margins in the UK have come under pressure.
In its preliminary results, published on October 30 this year, Murphy Oil planed “weaker margins at the Milford Haven refinery” for a loss of $22.7m (£14.23m) in its UK refining and marketing operations.
Production at the plant has fallen slightly in the last year to average 126,303 barrels a day over the last month, down from 132,282 barrels a day for the same period the previous year.
The Murco plant is one of two oil refineries in West Wales alongside the Valero plant at Pembroke which was sold by former owner Chevron in August 2011.
The possibility of a shutdown at the Milford Haven refinery is likely to cause fresh concern in Whitehall and with the Welsh Government.
The Scottish Government was quick to meet union leaders and management at Grangemouth, eventually averting the threat of closure.
Murco could not be contacted for comment.
Experts say that the refining industry, which was built up decades ago to convert North Sea crude into petrol and diesel, is struggling as domestic oil production falls and facilities age.
The number of refineries has dwindled from 18 to seven.
Milford Haven is the only refinery left in Murphy Oil’s empire after the company sold a pair of American sites.
The industry has also been weakened by the rise of diesel-powered cars as many refineries, including Murco’s, mostly produce petrol.
In terms of size and complexity, the most marginal refinery Britain is Milford Haven because of its small capacity.

 

Business

Mayor opens new Sapphire showroom in Milford Haven

Published

on

New Charles Street base brings windows and doors firm closer to Pembrokeshire customers

THE MAYOR OF MILFORD HAVEN has officially opened a new showroom for Sapphire Windows & Doors in the town centre.

The company welcomed visitors to its new base at 61 Charles Street on Monday (May 18), with Mayor Mark Woodward attending the opening.

Sapphire Windows & Doors, established in 1989, supplies and installs windows, doors and glazing products across South and West Wales.

The new Milford Haven showroom has been opened following growing demand from customers in Pembrokeshire, many of whom had previously travelled to the company’s Ammanford showroom.

The Charles Street premises will allow customers to view products in person, compare colours and finishes, try different styles, and speak directly with the Sapphire team.

Products on display include uPVC windows, composite and aluminium entrance doors, aluminium sliding and bifold systems, and internal and external Crittall-style aluminium and steel doors.

Shaun Matthews, Director of Sapphire Windows & Doors said: “We are incredibly excited to open our new Milford Haven showroom and welcome both returning and new customers through the doors.

“We have already received such a lovely welcome on Charles Street, and we are looking forward to becoming part of the local community.

“When people are investing in new windows and doors, it is important they feel confident in what they are choosing. The showroom gives customers the opportunity to properly see the products, explore the options available, try them for themselves and receive clear, honest advice from our team.”

The company manufactures its own uPVC products in-house at its factory in Ammanford, while installations are carried out by directly employed fitting teams.

Sapphire says it offers free, no-obligation quotes and takes a no-pressure approach to sales.

Every installation is backed by a ten-year guarantee and a FENSA insurance-backed warranty.

The new showroom is now open at 61 Charles Street, Milford Haven, SA73 1SA.

For more information visit sapphirewindows.info.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Cardigan family’s urgent appeal after father suffers devastating stroke

Published

on

Former pilot left unable to speak or swallow after collapsing while mowing lawn

A CARDIGAN family has launched an urgent appeal for help after a 72-year-old father suffered a massive stroke while mowing his garden, leaving him unable to speak, swallow or move the right side of his body.

Les Bell collapsed on Monday, May 11, after suffering what doctors described as an intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) – a serious form of haemorrhagic stroke caused by bleeding in the brain.

His daughter, Jessica Grieve, said the bleed was extensive and that her father remains in a critical condition on an acute stroke ward.

The former pilot, who now works as a flight training consultant at Gatwick Airport, is currently being fed through a tube and can only communicate through eye contact, small nods and grunts.

Jessica said: “Dad has lost the right-hand side of his body, has to be tube fed as he’s not conscious enough to perform a swallow test, although it would seem the muscles on the right side of his throat aren’t working.

“He can’t talk. He can only communicate with brief eye contact, small nods and grunts.”

She added that doctors are still unable to predict her father’s long-term prognosis.

“We don’t know the prognosis, only time will tell, but he is in a critical condition and it’s likely to remain that way for some months,” she said.

The family is now facing a financial crisis after Les, who was the main income earner, became suddenly incapacitated.

Jessica said her father managed all household finances, while her mother is unable to work due to disabilities and her brother, Jake, is still suffering the effects of cancer treatment and cannot work full-time.

She is now applying for lasting power of attorney in order to access her father’s bank accounts, but said the process could take up to ten weeks.

In the meantime, the family say they are struggling to pay rent, bills and other essential costs.

Jessica has launched a GoFundMe appeal to support the family during the coming months.

She said: “I’m asking for donations of any kind to help them pay for the urgent bills while we’re waiting for other benefits and LPA to begin.

“If we can get them through the next couple of months we’d be so, so grateful.”

Anyone wishing can visit the GoFundMe page here: Help for the Family of Les Bell.

Photo caption:

Family by his side: Les Bell in hospital after suffering a devastating stroke while mowing the garden (Pic: GoFundMe).

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police probe ball bearing damage in Haverfordwest

Published

on

POLICE are investigating reports of criminal damage in Haverfordwest after suspected metal ball bearings were used to damage a vehicle and a property.

Dyfed-Powys Police said damage was caused to the wing mirror of a blue Range Rover Evoque on Glenfields Road sometime between 11:10am and 11:20am on Sunday, May 10.

Officers believe metal ball bearings may have been used.

A second incident was reported at around 2:30pm on Tuesday, May 12, when the window of a property on Glenfields Road was allegedly struck by a suspected metal ball bearing.

Police said local officers are continuing to speak with residents after receiving a number of calls about ball bearings being found in the Glenfields Road and Old Hakin Road areas.

Anyone who witnessed anything, or who has information that could help the investigation, is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online, by emailing [email protected], or by calling 101.

Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

Quote reference: 26*375605.

 

Continue Reading

Crime15 hours ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community22 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime23 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health2 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community3 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health3 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government4 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News4 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business4 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community4 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

Popular This Week