Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

House builder addresses housing shortage

Published

on

housing shortageAS THE new homes market in Wales struggles to enjoy the same positive strides towards recovery as in England, Wales’ largest house-builder, Persimmon Homes, is set to address the housing shortage in west Wales announcing plans to deliver 450 new homes across Pembrokeshire with the potential to create over 1,300 jobs over the next five years.

Signalling its commitment to house building in Wales by expanding operations into west Wales, Persimmon Homes on Thursday marked the start of works in Lamphey on 39 homes comprising two bedroom bungalows and two, three and four bedroom houses.

Construction is also set to start on a further 68 at Hermitage Farm, near Haverfordwest, early next year following planning consent last week and at Bush Hill near Pembroke once planning consent is granted.

Managing Director of Persimmon Homes West Wales, Huw Llewellyn, said:

“We have found that the local authorities in west Wales have reacted more positively to the economic realities facing housebuilders and are taking positive steps to help make developments viable through more realistic planning requirements to help generate economic development, as well as new homes.

“Persimmon Homes is the first of the major PLC house-builders to develop homes this far west in Wales. And with family roots in Carmarthen, I’m proud to be part of a company that is keen to invest in the local community and support the local supply chain.”

According to Pembrokeshire County Council’s Local Development Plan, there is a significant lack of housing in the region and this latest announcement from Persimmon Homes will provide around 90 affordable houses with the remainder available on the Welsh Government’s Help to Buy Wales scheme thus helping first time buyers and families looking to upgrade to a bigger family home to do so.

Between now and 2021, Pembrokeshire County Council has made provision for 7,300 dwellings in the Local Development Plan, enabling the delivery of 5,700 homes, and Persimmon Homes is set to deliver 8% of this over the course of the next five years.

Cllr David Pugh, Board Member of the Swansea Bay City Region and Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism and Communities, said:

“Following the launch of the Swansea Bay City Region earlier this year, economic regeneration is very much the driving force behind Council activity as we strive to create jobs and sustainable economic growth.

“The announcement that Wales’ largest housebuilder is committed to investing in Pembrokeshire is a major step forward for the region and one that will present numerous opportunities for growth and regeneration and we hope to maximise the benefits of the developments for local people and businesses.”

Cllr David Simpson, Cabinet spokesperson for Housing and

Sustainability said: “From a Council point of view it’s superb for Pembrokeshire County Council to have such a large company in Pembrokeshire. Out of the 39 homes, seven will be affordable. Pembrokeshire Housing Association now has a good relationship formed with Persimmon Homes. Pembrokeshire Housing now have an agreement that the first allocations will all be local people.”

Managing Director, Huw Llewellyn said: “We plan to have the show homes open in March to April 2014 with people living here next year. It’s not a success until we have people living in the homes. We’re pleased with the relationship with the local authority.

“We’ve been welcomed here and have been working together well and we all have realistic expectations. It’s a five year plan to generate employment. People tend to think ‘How can a construction site create so many jobs?’. Well, it’s not just the boys he have working on site, it’ll be the people who will live there who will bring in trade for local people, such as a small shop – it will have more customers. It’s secondary jobs, too”.

Cllr David Pugh, Board Member of the Swansea Bay City Region and Pembrokeshire County Council Cabinet member for Economy, Tourism and Communities said: “It’s great the commitment to come to this part of the world in Pembrokeshire. Pembrokeshire is open for business!”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

New Welsh Government urged to end ‘injustice’ of term-time only pay

Published

on

SCHOOL support staff in Wales are being pushed into poverty by “unfair” term-time only contracts, UNISON Cymru has warned.

The union is calling on the new Welsh Government to scrap the practice and establish a new body to negotiate pay for school support workers.

The call will be made at the TUC Cymru Congress in Llandudno today, Tuesday (May 19), where UNISON Cymru regional secretary Jess Turner will move a motion on the issue.

She will say: “Thousands of school support staff, mainly women, are trapped in poverty because of the unfairness of term-time only pay.

“Teaching assistants, cleaners, catering staff and admin workers support children and keep schools running, but many struggle to pay bills and have to take on second jobs just to survive.

“One in six school support staff in Wales has used a food bank. Many earn less across the year than they would on a full-time minimum wage job because they’re only paid when schools are open.

“This is a real opportunity for Wales to do things differently and reward people fairly. Ministers need to set up a body that can negotiate pay for school staff and end the injustice of term-time only pay.”

UNISON says evidence gathered from school support staff across Wales shows widespread financial hardship linked to term-time only contracts.

The union will also host a fringe event at the congress on Wednesday (May 20), calling for action on term-time only pay and further investment in public services.

 

Continue Reading

News

Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet

Published

on

New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty

FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.

The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.

Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.

The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.

“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.

“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.

“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.

“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”

The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints

Published

on

Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed

ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.

Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.

The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.

Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.

He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.

“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”

The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.

Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.

Photo caption:

Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)

 

Continue Reading

Health22 hours ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News6 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News6 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

Popular This Week