Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Car drifter’s ‘moment of madness’

Published

on

‘A moment of madness’: Ben Griffiths

‘A moment of madness’: Ben Griffiths

A VIDEO posted on the Pembrokeshire Herald website and Facebook page showing dangerous driving on a Haverfordwest roundabout last year has led to the driver of the vehicle being banned.

Over 100,000 people viewed Ben Griffiths’ antics in the film which depicted him ‘drifting’ his BMW around a roundabout.

The Milford Haven man appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates Court on Tuesday (Apr 26) where the 21-year-old pleaded guilty to the offence, which happened last November in Haverfordwest.

Prosecutor Ellie Morgan told the court: “Police got to find out about this incident because of some footage placed by a friend of Mr Griffiths on social media. This led to Officer Dwayne arresting Mr Griffiths for this incident of dangerous driving which happened on November 1 at 12.38am.

“The vehicle in question was found in a lock up managed by the defendant, which was found to match the vehicle in the film.

“The video shows the car heading eastbound on to the Cardigan roundabout at the top end of Haverfordwest. The ground was dry at the time.

“The driver of the car negotiates the roundabout, heading towards Scotchwell. The footage stops, then shows the vehicle coming back.

“The driver, Mr Griffiths, purposely makes the car slide around the roundabout, doing one and a half circuits, continuing his drift manoeuvres.

“Police, who undertook a vehicle examination of the defendant’s BMW found it to be defective, stating that it is ‘unroadworthy’ and in dangerous condition.

“Mr Griffiths presented himself as a potential hazard for road users. The car was also modified, with its 1.9 litre engine being removed and replaced with a 3 litre engine, which wasn’t disclosed in the vehicle’s insurance. Mr Griffiths has no previous convictions.”

In his statement, Ms Morgan said that Griffiths stated: “I only use the car for Pembrey Circuit drift track. When the video was circulated online, I’ll admit it is me. I shouldn’t have done it on a public road. I didn’t put anyone in danger though.”

Mark Layton, representing Griffiths, explained: “Ben Griffiths is a man of clean character. He is hard-working and is currently holding down a job.

“This incident was a moment of madness. He is passionate about drifting, but doesn’t try to minimise his actions that night – he knows it was stupid. He feels as if he has placed everything in jeopardy.

“Mr Griffiths is a valued employee. His boss gave a character reference for the court. It speaks highly of him, also mentioning: ‘

As his job is fixing cars and driving cars, he’s not going to be able to fulfil his employment responsibilities.’”

“The defendant hopes that his career hasn’t been destroyed. It has already been badly damaged by his actions.

“He was alone in the vehicle and says he was completely in control due to his off-roading experience. He says that no one else was endangered by his actions. He felt comfortable in carrying out this skill, but just did it in the wrong place.

“Not being able to drive will add four hours to his commute to and from work.”

Probation Officer Ms Norman told the court: “I have talked to Mr Griffiths. He had been working on his vehicle. He took it up the bypass for a test drive.

“He can’t explain his actions in driving the car. There could’ve been a risk of something happening. It was a stupid action on his part.

“Fixing cars is his life. He’s been working in the garage for four and a half years. He’s recently moved in with his girlfriend and any effect on his employment will affect his girlfriend too.

“This is his first offence. Hopefully he would’ve learned his lesson about driving like this on a public road.”

Mark Layton continued: “Mr Griffiths’ clean character speaks for itself. He hasn’t been to court before and he is unlikely to come to court again.

“Driving is his life – it is a great love of his. He relied on it in his work, and this driving ban will definitely have career implications.

“If the disqualification is not for too long then his employers may keep him on until he can complete the extended driving test in twelve months time.”

Magistrates told Griffiths: “We have reduced the severity of the sentence due to Layton’s mitigation and early guilty plea.”

Magistrates issued Griffiths with a 12 month driving disqualification, with the need to complete an extended retest at the end of the ban.

He was also told he would have 12 weeks custody suspended for 12 months. As part of this, he will have to complete 100 hours of unpaid work. He also had to pay £85 prosecution costs and a £80 victim surcharge.

Magistrates told Griffiths: “Consider yourself a very lucky man. Lucky that you’re walking out of this court and not down to the cells and lucky you didn’t kill or injure anyone.”

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. private jet charter Ibiza

    April 10, 2026 at 10:57 pm

    Your expertise on this subject shines through in this post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Stix Noodle Bar in Haverfordwest rewards visitors who park and shop local

Published

on

A POPULAR restaurant is taking on one of the town centre’s biggest frustrations with a new initiative designed to ease parking stress and encourage more visitors into the heart of the community.

Stix Noodle Bar has announced a new scheme offering customers money off their bill when they show proof of paid parking in the town.

Under the initiative, diners who present an active parking ticket or parking app booking will receive the equivalent cost of one hour’s parking deducted from their meal bill.

The business says the idea was created in response to ongoing concerns about local parking pressures, while also supporting neighbouring independent traders and encouraging more people to spend time in the town centre.

In a statement released alongside the launch, the restaurant said: “Tired of Haverfordwest’s parking stress? So are we. That’s why we’re doing something about it.”

The team behind the noodle bar is encouraging visitors to “park up, come in, eat well, then go explore some of the brilliant businesses right on our doorstep,” adding that “Haverfordwest is worth stopping for.”

The scheme has already received support from local representatives, including Reform Councillor, Scott Thorley, who praised the move as a practical way to support the town centre economy.

“This is an excellent idea,” he said. “Tackling parking stress while boosting local businesses and footfall in Haverfordwest — this is exactly the practical support our town centre needs.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Pembrokeshire named UK’s most photographed coastal national park

Published

on

County’s coastline places sixth in UK-wide photo study

PEMBROKESHIRE has been named the most photographed coastal national park in the UK, according to new data from photo curation app Popsa.

The study, which analysed metadata from millions of customer photos uploaded in 2025, ranked Pembrokeshire Coast National Park sixth overall out of the UK’s 15 national parks.

It was the highest-ranked coastal park in the list, ahead of destinations including the Cairngorms, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, the Yorkshire Dales and Dartmoor.

Popsa gave Pembrokeshire a Photo Index Score of 28, representing 5.76% of all UK national park photography included in the study.

The company said the county’s 186-mile coastline, with its limestone arches, sea stacks, beaches and hidden coves, offered “photographic variety that few parks can match”.

Barafundle Bay was highlighted as one of the most photographed locations, particularly at low tide, while Skomer Island was noted for its puffin colonies, which attract photographers between April and July.

Wales performed strongly overall, with all three national parks appearing in the UK top ten. Eryri, formerly Snowdonia, ranked fifth, Pembrokeshire sixth, and Bannau Brycheiniog, formerly the Brecon Beacons, tenth.

Together, the three Welsh parks accounted for 16.46% of all UK national park photography in the study.

The Lake District topped the list, followed by the South Downs, the Peak District and the New Forest.

Popsa CEO Liam Houghton said: “Wales has three genuinely world-class national parks and this data shows they are clearly on photographers’ radar.

“But there’s a real gap between the quality of the landscapes and the volume of photos being taken there compared to the English parks.”

The findings suggest Pembrokeshire remains one of the UK’s standout destinations for landscape, wildlife and coastal photography, while also underlining the continued importance of the national park to the county’s tourism economy.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke woman accused of scrap fraud to appear in court

Published

on

Defendant accused of dishonestly selling vehicle for scrap in Haverfordwest

A PEMBROKE woman is due to appear before magistrates charged with fraud after allegedly selling a vehicle for scrap in Haverfordwest.

Natalie Morris, aged 42, of Corston Lodge, Axton Hill, is accused of fraud by false representation under the Fraud Act 2006.

The allegation relates to an incident said to have taken place in Haverfordwest on Tuesday (Aug 9), 2022, in which Morris allegedly dishonestly made a false representation by selling a silver Toyota Corolla, registration CU52 XBR, for scrap.

The court heard the alleged offence was carried out with the intention of making a financial gain of £313.

The case was listed before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Monday (May 18), where a previously issued warrant was withdrawn.

No plea was entered and the matter was adjourned.

Morris is now due to appear before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court at 10:00am on Tuesday (May 26) for a plea hearing, where she will be asked to enter a guilty or not guilty plea.

 

Continue Reading

Community5 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime6 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week