Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Views sought on mental health services

Published

on

views soughtREBECCA EVANS AM, Assembly Member for Mid and West Wales, has asked the Health Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford, to respond to the lack of in-patient mental health services in mid Wales following claims at the recent public meeting in Aberystwyth (January 10) that some young people were being offered beds as far away as Scotland.

Mrs Evans, who chairs the Assembly’s Cross Party Group on Mental Health, used Ministerial question time to highlight the lack of in-patient mental health facilities at Bronglais Hospital. Mrs Evans described reports of people in mental distress being offered beds as far away as Scotland as “clearly unacceptable” and went on to ask Mr Drakeford to explore with Hywel Dda University Health Board how this occurred, and asked “what can be done to ensure this doesn’t happen again?”

In response, Health Minister, Mark Drakeford, said: “I thank the Member for that question”

“I have heard reports of some of the things that were said at the public meeting in Aberystwyth, and specifically on that point. So I have already asked the local crisis resolution team, the local health board itself and the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee for any evidence they have that that sort of thing has happened.

“So far, their reports to me are that none of them have been able to identify a single case of a patient from that area being placed in Scotland. Indeed, they were unable to identify any patient being placed in a facility outside the area other than when that care was specialist care necessary for that patient’s treatment.”

This is not the first time that Mrs Evans has raised mental health provision in mid Wales in the Assembly Chamber, having previously raised the issue with the First Minister. Following a meeting with Aberystwyth Students Union, Mrs Evans spoke in the Senedd about the rising number of crisis mental ill health cases amongst students in Aberystwyth, and the lack of after-care.

Mrs Evans has been scrutinising the Health Board on its mental health provision since its decision to close Afallon Ward in July 2012. The closure came in response to safety and sustainability concerns following a protracted period of recruitment difficulties for qualified clinicians.

Mrs Evans said: “At a recent meeting with the Health Board I requested a briefing on mental health provision.

“I was pleased to learn that a space has been identified in Enlli Ward, in Bronglais, to develop a designated S136 suite for Ceredigion to replace the facility previously provided at Afallon ward. S136 suites are places of safety where the police can hold people in mental distress for up to 72 hours. Holding people in police stations, as sometimes happens now, can be completely inappropriate. I understand that plans are awaiting final approval, and I would urge very speedy action on this.”

Other developments on which the Health Board has briefed Mrs Evans included the extension of the Crisis Resolution Home Treatment to provide a 24 hours per day service, following successful recruitment to the posts in December, and developments in the Therapeutic Day Service.

Mrs Evans said: “I would like to hear about people’s recent experiences of mental health services in mid Wales. I am particularly keen to hear the experiences of people who have been unable to access in-patient mental health care in Bronglais, and would like to know where they were treated instead and what impact that had on their mental health and their recovery.”

All information will be treated confidentially. Readers can contact Mrs Evans at rebecca.evans@wales.gov.uk

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Community

Young Vlogger proving life has zero limitations

Published

on

Jacob Weakley "despite my disability, I'm always moving forwards"

A YOUNG Pembrokeshire local, Jacob Weakley, is on a mission to raise awareness about his disability Cerebral Palsy Spastic Diplegia.

Jacob lives with the clear message that he will never let his disability define him, stating “regardless of my disability, I’m always moving forwards”

Twenty-four-year-old Jacob refuses to let anything get in his way and has a huge passion for travel and to experience the world. Jacob has travelled all over the globe alongside his girlfriend Laira to places such as Budapest, Malaysia and many other beautiful locations.

Through his travels he has shown repeatedly that he will not let anything get in his way.

Jacob and his girlfriend on one of their many adventures

Jacob created the Youtube channel and blog both under ‘theweakleypost’ to show his fun adventures and his fitness journey, after graduating from University after studying Sports Coaching and Development.

The young traveller stays positive about his disability, and keeps his followers up to date on all his latest news and adventures.

Jacob and his friends recently were able to raise money through an online fundraiser to get an essential ‘Triride’ for him to be able to have the freedom to go anywhere he would like to.

He had faced challenges within his local area due to steep hills and uneven roads making it harder for Jacob to have access to different places within Pembrokeshire, but due to his following and the power of social media he has been able to reach his goal.

Although Jacob has reached his goal, he explained that the left over funds raised will go towards helping charities which are supporting others who face challenges with disabilities within their everyday life.

In the future to come Jacob explained to Pembrokeshire Herald: ‘When we are able to travel freely again I look forward to going to even more places and documenting them through my Vlogs.”

To find out more about Jacob and his travels visit: https://theweakleypost.squarespace.com/abouttheweakleypost
Or follow his Instagram/ Youtube channel: theweakleypost

Continue Reading

Community

Remembering the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge fifty years on

Published

on

TODAY, marks the 50th anniversary of the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge, then called the Milford Haven Bridge, a day that would change bridge building forever.

The construction of the bridge was a staple of a then booming economy, with the original project estimated to be around £2m, but the flawed design caused devastation.

On June 2, 1970, disaster struck the small village of Pembroke Ferry, when a 150 tonne section of the part-built Cleddau Bridge collapsed, killing four men and injuring another 5 people.

At 2.16pm BST, as a section of the bridge was lowered onto the supporting structure below, villagers reported hearing a groaning sound followed by an engulfing cloud of red dust.

The first officer on the scene was dad of two, PC Phil Lloyd, having just clocked into his shift at Pembroke Dock Station when the fire siren sounded.

Recalling the day, Phil, 74 said “I presumed it was just another chimney fire.”

Then at 2.20pm Phil received a call from his mother in law, she lived 30 metres below the bridge.

“When I went into the switchboard the fella said ‘your mother-in-law is on the phone’.”

“She shouted, ‘the bridge has come down!’ and i said ‘don’t be so dull’.”

PC Lloyd’s mother-in-law, Ivy Lewis, lived directly under the bridge, in Pembroke Ferry, on the south side of the river.

With the oil refineries, Milford Haven Port, all being developed in the county, the bridge was a much needed asset, which would give better accessibility and cut down the 20-mile round trip for vehicles.

Arriving at the scene, Phil described it as “utter pandemonium”.

At the time of the collapse, the local gas man was attending Mrs Lewis’ property. She originally assumed that he “had blown the house up”.

It was only when stepping into her garden could she fathom the true cause of the commotion. The whole section of the bridge was resting at a 45-degree angle in her garden.

Astonishly the bridge narrowly missed the below properties. Although it had completely demolished Phil’s aunties coal shed and outdoor toilet.

“Luckily there was a gap between her house and her sister’s house which is where the bridge came down.” Phil said.

“One man had been killed at the scene and two others were taken to hospital but died later. Then when the bridge was lifted, we found another man underneath.”

Construction of the box-section bridge was put on halt immediately.

Within 18 month’s bridges in Germany and Australia, both of the same ill-fated design collapsed with fatal consequences.

The cause of the collapse was later revealed that the diaphragm above the pier of the bridge had not been thick enough and buckled as the 230-foot section was cantilevered out.

Following an inquiry, a number of safety recommendations were made, which included the addition of 500ft of extra steel to strengthen the bridge.

In 1995, on the 25th anniversary of the disaster a memorial plaque to the four men who died, William Baxendale, George Hamilton, James Thompson and local man Evan Phillips.was unveiled.

Unfortunately the plaque was later stolen and has not yet been replaced.

The completed Cleddau Bridge reopened in 1975, making it the largest unsupported span in Europe although costs had escalated to £12m upon completion.

The disaster which shook the small village, laid the foundations for which a new standard was developed in the box girder bridge design.

The Cleddau collapse was regarded as the last major bridge disaster in the UK.

Continue Reading

Community

Lottery win for local neighbours

Published

on

Ten people in Pembroke Dock are celebrating today after winning £1,000 each thanks to their lucky postcode.

The Milton Terrace neighbours netted the windfall when SA72 6BJ was announced as a Daily Prize winner with People’s Postcode Lottery on Saturday 18th April 2020.

People’s Postcode Lottery ambassador Judie McCourt sent her well-wishes to the winners. She said: “What lovely news to start off your weekend. Congratulations to our winners!”

A minimum of 32% of ticket sales goes directly to charities and players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised over £500 million to date for thousands of good causes in Britain and beyond.

This draw was promoted by the Wildlife Trusts which have received over £12.6 million in funding from the players of People’s Postcode Lottery. The Wildlife Trusts look after more than 2,300 nature reserves and operate more than 100 visitor and education centres across the country. The Trusts work to make life better for wildlife, people and future generations.

Many good causes close to the winners have also benefitted from players’ support, and local charities can next apply for funding in August.

For more information on People’s Postcode Lottery, please visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk or Facebook  and Twitter.

Continue Reading
News1 min ago

WASPI unaffected by appeal’s failure

A CAMPAIGN group for women born in the 1950s, whose state pension age has increased from 60-65, lost an appeal...

News2 hours ago

Hakin: Crews put out fire in Observatory Avenue property

EMERGENCY services were at Observatory Avenue, Hakin, on Wednesday (Sept 16) night responding to a 999 call reporting a domestic...

News3 hours ago

Work on new council houses starts in Johnston

WORK has begun on the first council houses to be built in Pembrokeshire for a generation. Thirty-three affordable units are...

News2 days ago

Saundersfoot care home goes the extra mile

PENSIONERS at a South Pembrokeshire care home didn’t let the recent cancellation of Ironman Wales dampen their enthusiasm for the...

News2 days ago

Terror accused had ‘white supremacy’ interest

A CARMARTHENSHIRE man has pleaded not guilty to 28 charges of possessing explosives and chemical weapons at Newport Crown Court....

News2 days ago

Three sentenced for illegal slaughtering at Bramble Hall Farm

THREE men received suspended prison sentences at Swansea Crown Court on Monday 14th September 2020, for food related offences which...

News3 days ago

Cardigan: Large amount of cash stolen from ATM in CK’s store

POLICE in Cardigan are appealing for witnesses following a high value burglary in Tanygroes. A large quantity of money was...

News4 days ago

Confirmed: 250 male refugees will arrive at Penally Army Camp ‘within weeks’

250 refugees, all of them male, will be housed in COVID-secure accommodation at Penally Army Camp, it has been confirmed....

News4 days ago

Jury sworn in as west Wales businessman goes on trial for murder

THE JURY has been sworn in for the trial of a west Wales businessman with links to Milford Haven. Andrew...

News4 days ago

Rumours resurface that Penally Camp could be turned into a camp for immigrants

RUMOURS have circulated on social media, suggesting that Penally Camp near Tenby is being adapted from its current use with...

Popular This Week