News
‘Scandal’ and ‘disgrace’ as IPPG prevent Mik Smith report publication
MEMBERS of the IPPG on Pembrokeshire County Council closed ranks to prevent the publication of a damning report into the Council’s handling of allegations of misconduct into paedophile social worker Mik Smith.
Smith had continued in the Council’s employment even after complaints of ‘grooming behaviour’ towards children had been made against him.
A motion proposing that the report be disclosed to the public was kicked into the long grass following a tied vote. It concerned whether a motion proposed by Hakin councillor Mike Stoddart should go forward or be remitted to the “never-never land” of a review by a Council committee.
Motions uncongenial to either officers or the IPPG have a record of disappearing in such a system, never to be heard of again, as has been remarked on by Cllr Stoddart on a number of occasions.
Although a recorded vote was not carried out, only one member of the Cabinet voted against the party line, St David’s councillor and Education spokesperson David Lloyd, who remains unattached to the IPPG. Former Cabinet members for education and children’s services Ken Rowlands, Sue Perkins and Huw George voted to keep the report under wraps.
As The Herald reported two years ago, the head of Pembrokeshire County Council’s youth services department gave paedophile Smith a positive reference on an application to register as a foster carer.
The reference was given following two council investigations into Smith’s inappropriate conduct towards children, which had resulted in Smith being given a written warning.
The same council officer gave Smith the positive reference for a 2010 fostering application as had previously handed down Smith’s written warning.
Two years ago, Mike Stoddart pointed out that: “The fostering application was thwarted because some of the panel members were aware of the history.
“It happened that somebody on the Fostering Panel happened to know so it was pure luck that saved us from a disaster and not good practice”.
As The Herald had previously revealed, claims made by IPPG leader Jamie Adams at a Council meeting in July 2014 that the Council’s former CE, Bryn Parry Jones, knew nothing about the serious allegations made by colleagues against Mik Smith are untrue. We revealed the existence of a series of explosive internal documents that showed that when allegations were made about Mik Smith’s inappropriate conduct towards children, Council officers tried to sweep them under the carpet.
In March 2015, revealing that a second investigation was not carried out by an independent social worker but by a graduate trainee in the Chief Executive’s own department, Cllr Stoddart asked whether Mr Parry-Jones had ever explained, when asked about it by Cllr Adams as he had previously claimed in July 2014, why a similar child protection procedure involving social workers and the police wasn’t instigated following a second investigation in 2006.
The council leader answered: “I simply do not recall”.
Speaking impassionedly at Council on March 2, Cllr Stoddart told councillors that they had been systematically misled about what had happened in relation to Mik Smith: “What went on over this foster parent business is a disgrace; I’m determined to get this out in the open. It’s an even bigger disgrace that the youth worker who first exposed the matter was unceremoniously sacked while the person who had handed out references which made no mention of Mr Smith’s previous disciplinary record is sitting at home with a fat pension.
“That is an injustice I’m not prepared to tolerate.”
Following the tied vote, Chair Tony Brinsden, voted in line with the recommendation not to publish the report.
However, the drama did not end there as Labour leader Paul Miller pointed out a discrepancy between the number of votes cast, including abstentions and the number of councillors present. He was told by Monitoring Officer, Claire Jones that it was some possible some councillors present had neither voted nor abstained.
Community
Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.
Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.
The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.
Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.
Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.
“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.
“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.
“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”
Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.
Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.
Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Health
New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances
PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.
Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.
The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.
Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.
But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.
Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.
For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.
While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.
Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.
The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.
Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.
But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.
Crime
Man used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco
A 41-YEAR-OLD man has been given a suspended prison sentence after using a vulnerable man’s bank card at Tesco Extra in Milford Haven.
Mark Anthony Hambrook, of Keeston, admitted fraud by false representation when he appeared before magistrates.
The court heard that Hambrook dishonestly used the card on April 29, 2025, spending £220.
Magistrates said the offence crossed the custody threshold because it involved a breach of trust, a vulnerable victim, and was committed while Hambrook was on post-sentence supervision.
He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.
Hambrook was also ordered to pay £220 compensation, together with a £154 surcharge and £85 costs.
-
News2 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime4 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime4 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime4 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime4 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Community6 days agoConcern grows after child hospitalised following Tenby sea swim
-
Community12 hours agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Local Government6 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface








