News
Megan’s heartbroken mother hits out at police over lack of support
AN EMOTIVE post on social media by the mother of Megan Evans, the 14-year-old Milford Haven schoolgirl who took her own life last month, has received hundreds of reactions within hours of publication.
The scathing account by the heartbroken mother regarding the lack of support she has received from both police and Megan’s school has received a wave of reaction on Facebook.
In an emotional post Nicola Harteveld said: “Contrary to what was reported regarding specialist officers supporting us a family, I should like to put the record straight for two reasons.
“Firstly I am utterly devastated and disappointed, that we as a family are left to cope alone after suffering the ultimate tragedy of losing Megan and secondly to stop any other family in the future having to go through what we are going through.
“I have left it a month to see what support will transpire – but am still left wondering. Our grief today is still as raw as the moment we found out our beautiful Megan was gone, yet we still stand alone.
“We have not had contact with a police officer regarding the investigation since early hours of 8th February and am still waiting to hear about counselling for ourselves & our children.
“If it wasn’t for me personally contacting my GP ten days later asking for advice, who then promptly arranged specialist support for the children, I don’t know where we would be.
“Then to add insult to injury, we have had no contact from Megan’s school since her death whatsoever, despite numerous attempts on our behalf to collect personal items & work of hers at the school. This has resulted in us resorting to sending a solicitors letter, just so we can collect these precious things.
“We are left hurt and dismayed at the total lack of support & compassion shown by both parties. Dyfed-Powys Police and Milford Haven School bow your heads in shame.
“We have a long road ahead of us but we will fight for Megan and campaign to ensure changes are implemented so others don’t suffer this travesty. If it wasn’t for our fine community and members of the public with their kind gestures and messages of support. We’re not sure we would have come as far as we have today
Ms Harteveld ended the post by saying: “Yet again our services have let us down.”
The Herald has contacted Pembrokeshire County Council on behalf of Milford Haven School and Dyfed-Powys Police for a comment.
There were over 120 comments from local people on Facebook, and over 350 reactions within hours of Wednesday night’s post.
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is continuing to conduct an investigation on behalf of HM Coroner for Pembrokeshire into the tragic sudden death of 14-year-old , from Milford Haven.
“The force initially deployed a specialist family liaison officer to work with and support the family. A senior detective officer has been in contact with the family and will be making further contact with them today to discuss any further concerns they may have.
“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies remain firmly with the family. While the investigation is still underway we would urge people not to speculate on the circumstances surrounding Megan’s death. We wish to reassure the community that this matter is being taken very seriously, and we are following-up all possible lines of enquiry to establish a picture of what happened in the lead-up to Megan’s death. Anyone with any information that may assist the enquiry is asked to contact Milford Haven CID.”
A spokesman for Pembrokeshire County Council told the Herald: “As the local education authority, we strongly refute allegations of a lack of support from the school for Megan’s family.
“Support, including counselling, has been offered to the family on several occasions but has been repeatedly declined.
“The family chose a local headteacher to act as a liaison officer between themselves and the school.
“The liaison officer has returned all of Megan’s artwork. This was done promptly following a request from the family.
“The only items which belong to Megan and which remain in school are her exercise books.
“Arrangements are in hand to return these to the family together with a Book of Condolence prepared by the school.
Local Government
Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints
Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed
ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.
Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.
The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.
Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.
He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.
“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”
The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.
Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.
Photo caption:
Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)
News
Cefn Sidan retains Blue Flag status as one of Wales’ top beaches
CEFΝ Sidan has retained its place among the world’s best coastal locations after being awarded Blue Flag status in the Wales Coast Awards 2026.
The Carmarthenshire beach, located within Pembrey Country Park near Burry Port, has now received the prestigious award 38 times — more than any other beach in Wales.
Cefn Sidan was also the first beach in Wales to receive a Blue Flag when the awards were introduced in 1988.
The awards, announced by Keep Wales Tidy, recognise beaches that meet high standards for water quality, safety, facilities, environmental education and site management.
A total of 48 beaches across Wales were recognised this year, with 20 receiving Blue Flag status.
Cefn Sidan is an eight-mile sandy beach backed by dunes and forms part of Pembrey Country Park, one of Carmarthenshire’s major visitor attractions. The park also offers woodland walks, mountain bike trails, a dry ski slope, toboggan ride, crazy golf, train rides and a family campsite.
Owen Derbyshire, Chief Executive of Keep Wales Tidy said: “We are delighted to see Cefn Sidan once again retaining its Blue Flag Award status and continuing to hold the title of the Welsh beach which has received the most Blue Flags.
“As Wales’ very first Blue Flag Award winner, we appreciate the ongoing commitment of everyone at Carmarthenshire County Council and Pembrey Country Park in ensuring Cefn Sidan meets the high standards needed to gain the Blue Flag Award.”
He added: “These awards recognise high and consistent standards and we would like to thank staff, volunteers and everyone else at sites across Wales who work so hard to protect and preserve our natural landscape in the face of increasingly challenging circumstances.
“All of these places are beautiful but seeing that flag flying means visitors can be assured that they are clean, safe and well-managed with excellent facilities too.”
Other Blue Flag beaches in west Wales include Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Saundersfoot, Tenby South and Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire.
Thirteen Welsh beaches also received Green Coast Awards, including Mwnt and Penbryn in Ceredigion, Freshwater East and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire.
A further 15 beaches gained Seaside Awards, including Aberystwyth South and North.
Crime
Trial by jury protest planned outside Cardiff Crown Court
Campaigners say the proposed reforms would weaken one of the public’s oldest legal protections
CAMPAIGNERS will demonstrate outside Cardiff Crown Court on Monday (May 18) in protest against government proposals which they say would severely restrict the right to trial by jury.
Local activist Roz Royson said she will join other campaigners outside the court between 11:00am and 4:00pm, handing out leaflets and speaking to members of the public.
The protest forms part of a wider national day of action organised by the Jury Alliance, with demonstrations planned outside around 30 crown courts across England and Wales.
Campaigners argue that trial by jury is a fundamental safeguard in the justice system and should not be removed or heavily restricted.
Ms Royson said: “This government’s current plan to get rid of trial by jury is relevant to every person affected by the rule of law here in the UK.
“There was an overwhelmingly positive response outside the court last time we were there. People in the street, when they learn about the plan, are outraged that the government intends to almost entirely do away with jury trials.”
The campaigners say they hope to raise public awareness and build opposition to the proposals, which they believe are “passing all too easily” without enough scrutiny.
The demonstration will take place outside Cardiff Crown Court tomorrow.
-
News2 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime4 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Community1 day agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime4 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime4 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Community7 days agoConcern grows after child hospitalised following Tenby sea swim
-
Local Government6 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface






