Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Ancient ceremony to mark new primary school development

Published

on

Guests at the ceremony included pupils from Hakin Community and Hubberston VC schools: They will be moving to the new school when it opens early next year.

SCHOOLCHILDREN from Hakin Community and Hubberston VC schools have taken part in a ceremony to mark the development of a new primary school currently under construction at Gelliswick Road.

Pupils from both schools visited the site of the £12 million project, which was formally named Gelliswick Church in Wales Voluntary Controlled Primary School by Cabinet earlier this week.

It is one of several schools which have been built, or are being built, under the 21st Century Schools Programme – a £120 million initiative between Pembrokeshire County Council and the Welsh Government to build state-of-the-art schools.

The new school will provide:

  • a new build primary school for 480 pupils
  • an Early Years Unit for around 60 pupils
  • a Complex Needs Unit for 24 pupils aged
  • some facilities accessible to – and shared by – the community.

A new 3G sports pitch adjacent to the site has already been handed over to the Council.

The youngsters were among guests at a ‘topping-out’ event marking the structural completion of the building by contractors Willmott Dixon.

The ancient ceremony is said to ward off evil spirits and bestow good fortune on a property.

The pupils contributed by pouring wine, oil, corn and salt on a small yew tree. They will be among those children moving into the new school when it opens at the end of the year.

In Saxon times a yew tree branch was placed in the uppermost part of a new construction as a symbol of completion.

Wine symbolised fertility and wisdom and oil promised liberty and prosperity. Corn would ripen and grow prosperity into abundance and the salt equated to purity and hospitality.

Welcoming guests, Willmott Dixon’s Operations Director, Ian Jones, said the event marked the halfway point of the contract which was slightly ahead of schedule, thanks to the team led by Martin Bennett.

“This is an important milestone in the building’s construction, both for ourselves and Pembrokeshire County Council,” he said.

He revealed that 168 tons of steel had gone into the frame of the new school while 3,000 tons of concrete had been poured into its foundations. Walls had been covered with 65 tons of plasterboard.

Mr Jones went on: “I am pleased to say that 78 per cent of the goods we have used on site have been procured in Wales and that we have given 272 weeks of employment to those who were previously jobless while also offering 81 weeks of work experience.”

County Council Leader, Jamie Adams, said the Authority was involved in the second largest 21st Century Schools Programme in Wales and that the money spent in investing in the education of children was worth every penny.

Under the scheme, the County Council has already opened four new schools and are in the process of building five others around Pembrokeshire.

 

Charity

Vintage tractors take to Broad Haven beach for breast cancer fundraiser

Published

on

A LINE of vintage tractors made an unusual sight on Broad Haven beach on Saturday as enthusiasts gathered for a fundraising run in aid of breast cancer research.

The event brought together a colourful collection of classic farming vehicles, with Welsh flags and pink decorations on display as supporters and spectators gathered along the seafront.

The tractors were parked on the sand before taking part in the run, helping raise awareness and funds for the cause.

Caption:

Vintage tractors lined up on Broad Haven North beach on Saturday for a fundraising run in aid of breast cancer research (Pic: Martin Cavaney).

 

Continue Reading

Community

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

Published

on

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car parking charges, following growing concerns from local businesses about the negative impact charges have on trade and town centre footfall.

Mr Davies wrote to the Leader of the Council on May 18, to highlight the challenges faced by businesses across Ceredigion’s towns, where rising parking costs are seen as a deterrent to people visiting local high streets. He urged the local authority to listen carefully to the concerns being raised and to review these charges.

In his letter, Mr Davies wrote: “I’m writing to raise concerns regarding car parking charges across Ceredigion, and to urge the local authority to do all it reasonably can to minimise these costs for individuals spending time in towns throughout the county.

“This is a serious issue for local businesses, many of whom have made it clear that car parking charges risk deterring people from visiting our high streets and towns. Any resulting decline in footfall would have immediate and damaging consequences for local trade and, more broadly,for the county’s economy.

“At a time when our high streets are already facing significant challenges, | believe it’s unacceptable that additional financial barriers have been introduced. The Council should be actively supporting its high streets and town centres and encouraging people to visit, not implementing measures that make doing so more difficult and less affordable.

“The concerns raised by both residents and businesses are justified and cannot be ignored. The Council must act on these concerns and urgently review the decision to introduce or increase car parking charges, with a view to reducing their impact.”

Many locals have voiced their concerns on social media, commenting on the “outrageous” cost of parking and the cost of public toilets, claiming that Ceredigion County Council are to blame for the loss of footfall in the area. 

Mr Davies said: “Car parking charges add yet another barrier to people visiting our towns and high streets and can be detrimental to local businesses, at a time when many businesses are already facing significant economic pressures.

“Our high streets are the backbone of our communities and play a vital role in the local economy. If people are put off visiting because of the cost of parking, then businesses will inevitably suffer. This is not only short-sighted but risks causing long-term damage to the vibrancy of our towns.

“The Council must act on the valid concerns being raised and review its parking policy as a matter of urgency. The focus should be on encouraging footfall, supporting local trade, and ensuring that our town centres remain accessible and affordable for everyone.”

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

Published

on

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his horrific crimes “did not justify his killing in any way”.

Watkins, who was serving a 29-year sentence for child sex offences, was attacked in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield on October 11 last year.

Leeds Crown Court heard that Rico Gedel, 25, stabbed Watkins three times with a makeshift knife before allegedly passing the weapon to fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44.

Both men deny murder and possessing a knife in prison.

‘Done nothing to provoke attack’

Prosecutor Tom Storey KC told the jury on Monday that Watkins had “done nothing whatsoever” to provoke the attack in the period leading up to it.

He said: “However heinous his crimes were, that did not justify his killing in any way.”

The court has heard that Gedel hated being housed with sex offenders and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.

Gedel told the trial he chose Watkins largely because he was nearby, having been placed in the next cell the night before.

Alleged motive

Mr Storey said Gedel’s alleged words before the attack — “This is what paedophiles deserve” — were a clear indication of motive.

The prosecutor said Watkins had no defensive injuries and there was no sign of a struggle, meaning he was likely taken by surprise.

He told jurors that the repeated use of a makeshift knife showed an intention to kill or cause really serious harm.

The court heard Gedel was laughing after the stabbing and allegedly asked prison officers to “let me know when he dies”.

Knife allegation

Dodsworth denies supplying the weapon or helping with the attack.

Gedel claimed Dodsworth gave him the knife and later disposed of it, but Mr Storey told the jury Gedel had “every reason” to lie about him.

The prosecutor said CCTV appeared to show Gedel handing the weapon to Dodsworth after the attack, and suggested Dodsworth acted as if he knew what was happening.

Judge’s warning

Mr Justice Hilliard told jurors that Watkins had committed very serious offences, but “clearly should not have lost his life in prison while serving his sentence”.

He said they must not decide the case on sympathy, anger or disapproval, but on a “cool, calm, careful and impartial” assessment of the evidence.

Watkins was jailed in December 2013 after admitting a string of child sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.

The trial continues.

 

Continue Reading

Community1 hour ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime3 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week