Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke Dock: Cleddau Bridge Hotel to shut its doors

Published

on

STAFF at the Cleddau Bridge Hotel have been told that their last day of work will be on January 2, as management have decided to shut the doors on the well known Pembrokeshire hotel and venue.

The news was broken in a hurriedly arranged staff meeting which took place on Wednesday (Dec 27).

Since 2004 the hotel has been run by a limited company, Cleddau Bridge Hotel Limited.

There has been no confirmation as to numbers of redundancies from management, but one source has told The Herald that around 40 full time and part time positions were to go as a result of the closure.

An employee who wished to remain anonymous has told the Herald that all wedding bookings have been refunded – and staff have been promised wages tomorrow (Dec 29).

Our source said: “As far as I’m aware weddings have been refunded in full. We should be getting paid tomorrow but time will tell.”

General Manager, Natalie John, said on Hotels.com: “It is with great regret, I am writing to inform you that the Cleddau Bridge Hotel will cease trading as of January 2 2018.

“With numerous staff having worked here for over 10 years it is a sad time for us all.”

According to Companies House documents submitted in 2016, the company was controlled by Mr Raj and Mrs Manjit Kullar, who are the parents of the directors.

However, Jasjit Singh Kullar resigned in July 2016, and Mrs Majit Kullar took over as director of Cleddau Bridge Hotel Limited from Sukhjit Singh Kullar on April 26, 2017.

Pembroke Dock Councillor Paul Dowson told The Herald: “This news has come as a shock and will deeply affect the people who are employed there and those people who have weddings booked in advance, and other types of functions.

“I only hope that somebody takes on the business as soon as possible and honours any bookings that have already been made.

Cllr Joshua Beynon, the local ward member, said: “I think its a huge loss to the area, mainly due to the jobs that will be lost. This is also bad news for users of the hotel, Pembroke Dock and Pembrokeshire in general.

“I am also concerned for people who have booked functions such as weddings at the premises.”

Eluned Morgan AM said: “This news comes at the worst time of the year for the thirty staff and their families. I will be working with the local councillor to seek support for those affected by this decision.”

News

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

Published

on

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap.

Sam Kurtz will take over the seat from the outgoing Angela Burns who held a majority of 3,400 at the last election.

This time, the gap was just 936 to Labour’s Hassan Riaz who picked up 10,304 votes.

Plaid Cymru’s Cefin Campbell picked up 6,615 votes.

The turnout in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire was slightly up to 52.12% from 51.2% in 2016.

However, with a larger electorate thanks to votes for 16/17-year-olds, the number of votes cast went up by almost 3,000.

Continue Reading

News

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

Published

on

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency.

He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895 votes for Labour’s Jackie Jones.

Plaid Cymru candidate Cris Tomos gained just over 6,000 votes and there were also 1,239 for Reform UK candidate Alan Dennison.

There were over 3000 more votes cast in 2016, down largely in part to the fact that 16 and 17 year olds were able to vote in this election.

Both the Conservatives and Labour received more votes than before while the gap to Labour closed to just 1,400.

After being elected, Paul Davies said he would continue to ‘fight for Pembrokeshire’ and thanked those who had been involved in his campaign.

Continue Reading

News

Former Cardigan Castle director sentencing delayed

Published

on

THE SENTENCING of a former director of Cardigan Castle who has pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft totalling over £40,000 has been delayed.

Former director, Jac Davies, pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft was due to be sentenced on Wednesday (May 4) at Swansea Crown Court – but has now been delayed.

Davies who held the £40,000 a year post fraudulently obtained £33,098.75 and stole a further £7,932.97 from the award winning restoration project..

Davies held his position at Cardigan Castle from September 2017 to November 2019.

The defendant has pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining £4,143.20 from the castle on December 21, 2017.

Again Davies admitted to fraudulently obtaining £28,955.55 between February 4, 2019 and November 3, 2019.

Two further charges of theft were also admitted – one charge of  theft from the castle of £1,908.18 between May 2, 2018 and May 24, 2019 and a further charge of theft from Cardigan Castle Enterprises to the sum of £6,024.79.

Dyfed-Powys Police conducted a year long investigation after being contacted by the castle board of directors.

Financial discrepancies were identified during financial monitoring.

An internal investigation was launched and Davies left his position within the castle in October 2019 following a disciplinary process.

Continue Reading
News6 hours ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Politics1 day ago

Pembrokeshire heads to the polls

THE ELECTIONS to the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru take place today, Thursday (May 6). Over the last few weeks, we’ve published...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following suspicious flat fire in Robert Street

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that the force is investigating a fire which occurred at a property in Lower Robert Street,...

News2 days ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News3 days ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

News3 days ago

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigate alleged assault, one man arrested and bailed

POLICE officers in Haverfordwest are investigating an incident where a woman was reportedly assaulted. The alleged attack took place at...

News4 days ago

Fisherman off Pembrokeshire coast airlifted to hospital with burn injuries

A FISHERMAN has been airlifted to hospital with second degree burns after suffering an injury while on a boat off...

Health4 days ago

Mark Drakeford in Milford Haven as pub tills ring for first weekend since December

As part of the easing of lockdown restrictions, hospitality business owners let out a sigh of relief this week after...

Popular This Week