Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pilot boat crews set to strike over benefits for future employees

Published

on

THE PORT OF MILFORD HAVEN has confirmed that it has received official notification from Unite the Union that it’s pilot boat members working on the Milford Haven waterway are to go on continuous strike from February 19.
The pilots, launch crews and port control workers are currently implementing a ban on overtime, which started on January 28.
The workers are striking over proposed changes to pension provision and sick pay for future new employees joining the Port. There are no changes planned to benefits for current staff.
Andy Jones, Interim Chief Executive at the Port of Milford Haven told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “Joint meetings have been taking place since October and these meetings are continuing.
“We are disappointed that action has commenced whilst discussions are on-going and making every effort to find a solution to this dispute through continuing dialogue.
“We are working closely with our customers and wider stakeholders and making contingency plans in the event this action goes ahead.
“The safety of our staff, customers and the wider port community remains our number one priority.”
In August 2014, the Port of Milford Haven cut the number of pilot boats on duty to a single crewed vessel.
At the time, The Herald was been contacted by a number of crew who have said that they have been offered voluntary redundancy in order to go.
The Port had said it is looking to cut costs as the amount of cargo coming into Milford Haven has been decreasing.

Speaking at the time, two members of the pilot boat crews told the Herald: “I don’t think that the Port has considered the safety implications of only having one manned crew. Safety should come before money.”
In April last year, The Herald investigated the ports purchase of £3.6m worth of new pilot boat vessels. Incidents which took place in 2017 led to two of the three new vessels being tied up in Milford Haven Docks in an ‘operational pause’ whist the Port kept some of its remaining ageing vessels in operation. At the time the boats were deemed ‘unfit for purpose’ by some crew members.

News

A40 closed at Scleddau due to collision between car and motorbike

Published

on

EMERGENCY SERVICES have shut the A40 at in Scleddau due to a serious road collision.

The accident happened just before 2pm. The Herald understands that the collision involved a motorcycle and car at a junction near The Gate Inn public house.

Police said: “Emergency services are currently on scene and dealing with the incident. Please find an alternative route if possible. Update to follow.”

Continue Reading

featured

Moley’s Ambassador March to support those who have lost a child

Published

on

ON SATURDAY (Jun 19), Andrew Cole (aka Moley) will set off on a 24 hour walk around Pembrokeshire with the aim of doing as many miles in as little time as possible. 

Moley is proud to have recently been made ambassador of the charity ‘2 Wish UponAa Star’ an organisation dedicated to supporting families that have lost a child under 25 years of age.

He will be setting off at 6am in the morning from Neyland and walking all day and night, finishing at 6am the following morning.

2 wish upon a star was set up by Rhian Mannings, who set up the charity after losing her own son.

By celebrating the lives of those lost, and offering support to families through their grief; Rhian and her team offer an essential service to the community and those families who have suffered the devastation of losing a loved one.

Appealing for support from the people of Pembrokeshire he said: “Please give generously to support the wonderful work of Rhian and her team. Also, if you happen to see me in the day, feel free to give me a beep of encouragement’

“If you would like to donate to Moley, and support the charity, you can visit his JustGiving page.”

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/moleycole

Continue Reading

News

Lifeboats and chopper in major air sea rescue off the coast of Tenby

Published

on

TWO RNLI lifeboats from both Tenby and Angle stations have been launched to assist a coastguard helicopter which has been scrambled from MOD St Athen.

It is understood that a search for a missing person or persons is underway.

Paged this morning: Angle Lifeboat is currently involved in the search south of Tenby

The alarm was raised before 10am this morning (June 18).

Tenby’s Y-boat is also involved in the operation, The Herald understands.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Rescue underway: Coastguard chopper position at 1030HRS on Friday, Jun 18 (Pic MarineTraffic)
Continue Reading
News13 hours ago

Lifeboats and chopper in major air sea rescue off the coast of Tenby

TWO RNLI lifeboats from both Tenby and Angle stations have been launched to assist a coastguard helicopter which has been...

News1 day ago

Organisers urged to read guidance on holding Covid-aware events

ORGANISERS planning to hold events in Pembrokeshire are being urged to read guidance published by the Welsh Government. The Welsh...

News1 day ago

Four men arrested as armed police swoop on Hubberston address

ARMED police and specialist dog handlers swooped on an address in Hubberston, Milford Haven on Wednesday night (Jun 16). The...

News2 days ago

Heatherton expansion approved

• Committee overturns officers’ objections • Economic benefits outweigh other impacts • Conditions must not delay development THE COUNCIL’s Planning...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Christmas cosmetics thief caged

A MIDLANDS shop lifter caught stealing £2200 worth of cosmetics and skin care products from Boots in Milford Haven just...

News3 days ago

Major blaze destroys well known Tenby chip shop

EMERGENCY services have sealed off part of Tenby following a major fire at a chip shop. Fire fighters rushed to...

News4 days ago

Tributes from family for ‘beautiful’ Ella Smith following fatal road accident

POLICE investigating Sunday’s fatal road traffic accident have confirmed that the person who sadly died has been formally identified as...

News4 days ago

Public urged to have say on second homes and empty properties policies

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has begun a consultation exercise on the authority’s policies relating to second homes and long term empty...

News4 days ago

Tributes to victim as police confirm fatal workshop fire in Sageston

POLICE have confirmed that a workshop fire in Sageston over the weekend was sadly fatal and is now being investigated...

News4 days ago

One dead and three seriously injured in road traffic accident on B4341

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed it is investigating a fatal road traffic collision which occurred on the B4341 between Haverfordwest and...

Popular This Week