Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

£9m in compensation, plus annual payments, after negligence at birth causes life of ‘acute disability’

Published

on

A TEENAGER born to a life of acute disability due to a negligent delay in his delivery at a Pembrokeshire hospital will receive millions in NHS compensation.

Hywell Dda University Local Health Board issued a public apology for failings in care at Haverfordwest’s Withybush Hospital that led to the boy’s injuries.

And it agreed to pay him a lump sum of £8,950,000, plus substantial, index-linked, annual sums to cover the costs of the constant care he will always need.

The judge, Mr Justice Stewart, told London’s High Court there was a negligent delay in delivering the boy by Caesarean section in 2006.

His mother suffered a ruptured uterus and her baby’s brain was damaged by oxygen starvation, resulting in cerebral palsy.

He has learning difficulties and mild epilepsy and needs to live in a one-storey, wheelchair-accessible, home, the court heard.
“He vocalises a lot, and some of this has meaning, but he will always be dependent on others for his most basic needs,” the judge added.
The health board admitted liability in full for the boy’s injuries and a final settlement of his medical negligence claim was today approved by the judge.

Together with the lump sum, he will receive annual payments of £174,000, rising to £270,000 in 2024. Those payments will continue for the rest of his life.
Experts predict that he will live to the age of 70, although all involved in the case hoped that was an under-estimate.
NHS counsel, Michael Horne QC, said: “The health board apologises unreservedly for the fact that the care fell below the expected standards.
“It is deeply sorry, lessons have been learned and the health board has written directly to the family.”
Praising the “outstanding level of care” given to the boy by his parents, the barrister said: “They have done all they can to help him achieve his potential and we pay tribute to them for that.”

Approving the settlement, the judge said: “I am satisfied that a proper and professional assessment has been made.”
He concluded: “It is clear just how much loving care has been given to him by his parents who have worked together for the common good.
“I hope that this settlement will enable the claimant and his family to enjoy as full a life as possible in the knowledge that his needs will always be catered for.”

News

Drug drive arrest following routine check

Published

on

A MALE has been arrested following a positive roadside test.

The vehicle, which was stopped this morning, June 6, by the Pembrokeshire Road Policing Unit (Pembrokeshire RPU) was part of a routine check.

Traffic officers suspected the driver may be under the influence after smelling cannabis coming from the vehicle.

A roadside drug test was performed with a positive result with the drugswab provided. A small quantity of cannabis was also found inside the vehicle.

The cannabis was seized and the driver was arrested, later released under investigation, pending the male’s blood test result for the drug drive offence, out of court disposal for the possession.

Continue Reading

News

Campers from Cardiff sent packing

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE Road Policing Unit (Pembrokeshire RPU) have this morning, June 5, reported nine individuals for breaching coronavirus regulations.

The occupants of the three vehicles, all from the Cardiff area, had moved barriers that had been in place to close off the carpark to the public and set up camp for the night.

A Pembrokeshire RPU spokesperson said ‘Three vehicles from the Cardiff area located at Abereiddy this morning.

“The occupants of the vehicles, who’d travelled down overnight, had moved the barriers that had been used to close the car park. Having done so they then set up camp nearby.

“All nine persons present were reported for breaching coronavirus regulations. One was further dealt with by means of an out of court disposal for possession of cannabis.

“Rubbish cleaned up, car park closure reinstated, vehicles escorted out of Pembs.”

Continue Reading

News

Police urge visitors to ‘check the rules’

Published

on

POLICE in Powys are reminding people to check the rules before they travel, as tourists from the Midlands, London and Bristol continue to visit despite lockdown restrictions.

Last weekend more than 1,000 cars were turned around by police in the Brecon Beacons after visitors attempted to access the area around Ystradfellte known as ‘waterfall country’.

Many of those stopped claimed they thought the rules around travel were the same as in England, while others had deliberately flouted them.

Seventy-two per cent of people reported for breaches of Covid-19 restrictions in Powys since March 27 have been from outside the police force area.

“I would like to thank the communities of Powys for their cooperation in recent months in complying with requirements of the Covid 19 legislation and also reassure them we are still working hard with our partners to police the restrictions that remain in place across Wales,” said Superintendent Steve Davies.

“Our officers have worked hard to engage with the public at every opportunity throughout these unprecedented times by explaining what we are doing and why, and encouraging people to make the best choices to protect public health in Wales.

“But where people have clearly flouted the rules we have dealt with them appropriately and issued fines.”

He said officers will continue to conduct stop checks throughout Powys and across the force area this weekend.

In England, people can now travel an unlimited distance for exercise and to access so-called ‘beauty spots’.

But the Welsh Government has said people must remain local – ideally not travelling further than five miles from their home – for exercise or limited leisure pursuits, and this also applies to anyone travelling across the border.

Wales’ three national parks – which include popular sites such as Snowdon, the Elan valley and the Pembrokeshire coast – currently remain closed to the public, as do all National Trust car parks and properties.

The latest Welsh Government advice is available at gov.wales/coronavirus.

Continue Reading
Community4 days ago

Remembering the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge fifty years on

TODAY, marks the 50th anniversary of the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge, then called the Milford Haven Bridge, a day...

News6 days ago

Hart defends a tweet police boss says is incorrect

WELSH Secretary Simon Hart has defended a tweet accused of being incorrect by a chief constable. The MP for South...

News7 days ago

Shielding people can meet others and exercise outdoors

CHANGES to advice for people shielding from coronavirus are being introduced from Monday 1 June, Minister for Health and Social...

News1 week ago

Pembroke Dock: Lorry driver fined for driving whilst disqualified

A LORRY driver has been fined after getting behind the wheel only three months after being disqualified from driving. Gary...

News1 week ago

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest. Stephen...

News1 week ago

Amphetamine worth £22,500 found in car at Pembroke Dock

Two men who claimed to have driven from Cardiff to Pembroke Dock for a cleaning job were found to have...

News2 weeks ago

Message stays the same: Please do not visit Pembrokeshire this bank holiday weekend

With another Bank Holiday weekend on the horizon, visitors and second home owners are again being urged not to travel...

News2 weeks ago

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host...

News2 weeks ago

How Wales created 19 new field hospitals in less than 8 weeks…

Across Wales the Welsh Government is supporting the NHS to create new field hospitals and rapidly increase bed capacity. Health...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire County Council leader’s coronavirus update, May 20th

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Wednesday, 20th May, as follows: ‘Once...

Popular This Week