Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Car drifter’s ‘moment of madness’

Published

on

‘A moment of madness’: Ben Griffiths

‘A moment of madness’: Ben Griffiths

A VIDEO posted on the Pembrokeshire Herald website and Facebook page showing dangerous driving on a Haverfordwest roundabout last year has led to the driver of the vehicle being banned.

Over 100,000 people viewed Ben Griffiths’ antics in the film which depicted him ‘drifting’ his BMW around a roundabout.

The Milford Haven man appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates Court on Tuesday (Apr 26) where the 21-year-old pleaded guilty to the offence, which happened last November in Haverfordwest.

Prosecutor Ellie Morgan told the court: “Police got to find out about this incident because of some footage placed by a friend of Mr Griffiths on social media. This led to Officer Dwayne arresting Mr Griffiths for this incident of dangerous driving which happened on November 1 at 12.38am.

“The vehicle in question was found in a lock up managed by the defendant, which was found to match the vehicle in the film.

“The video shows the car heading eastbound on to the Cardigan roundabout at the top end of Haverfordwest. The ground was dry at the time.

“The driver of the car negotiates the roundabout, heading towards Scotchwell. The footage stops, then shows the vehicle coming back.

“The driver, Mr Griffiths, purposely makes the car slide around the roundabout, doing one and a half circuits, continuing his drift manoeuvres.

“Police, who undertook a vehicle examination of the defendant’s BMW found it to be defective, stating that it is ‘unroadworthy’ and in dangerous condition.

“Mr Griffiths presented himself as a potential hazard for road users. The car was also modified, with its 1.9 litre engine being removed and replaced with a 3 litre engine, which wasn’t disclosed in the vehicle’s insurance. Mr Griffiths has no previous convictions.”

In his statement, Ms Morgan said that Griffiths stated: “I only use the car for Pembrey Circuit drift track. When the video was circulated online, I’ll admit it is me. I shouldn’t have done it on a public road. I didn’t put anyone in danger though.”

Mark Layton, representing Griffiths, explained: “Ben Griffiths is a man of clean character. He is hard-working and is currently holding down a job.

“This incident was a moment of madness. He is passionate about drifting, but doesn’t try to minimise his actions that night – he knows it was stupid. He feels as if he has placed everything in jeopardy.

“Mr Griffiths is a valued employee. His boss gave a character reference for the court. It speaks highly of him, also mentioning: ‘

As his job is fixing cars and driving cars, he’s not going to be able to fulfil his employment responsibilities.’”

“The defendant hopes that his career hasn’t been destroyed. It has already been badly damaged by his actions.

“He was alone in the vehicle and says he was completely in control due to his off-roading experience. He says that no one else was endangered by his actions. He felt comfortable in carrying out this skill, but just did it in the wrong place.

“Not being able to drive will add four hours to his commute to and from work.”

Probation Officer Ms Norman told the court: “I have talked to Mr Griffiths. He had been working on his vehicle. He took it up the bypass for a test drive.

“He can’t explain his actions in driving the car. There could’ve been a risk of something happening. It was a stupid action on his part.

“Fixing cars is his life. He’s been working in the garage for four and a half years. He’s recently moved in with his girlfriend and any effect on his employment will affect his girlfriend too.

“This is his first offence. Hopefully he would’ve learned his lesson about driving like this on a public road.”

Mark Layton continued: “Mr Griffiths’ clean character speaks for itself. He hasn’t been to court before and he is unlikely to come to court again.

“Driving is his life – it is a great love of his. He relied on it in his work, and this driving ban will definitely have career implications.

“If the disqualification is not for too long then his employers may keep him on until he can complete the extended driving test in twelve months time.”

Magistrates told Griffiths: “We have reduced the severity of the sentence due to Layton’s mitigation and early guilty plea.”

Magistrates issued Griffiths with a 12 month driving disqualification, with the need to complete an extended retest at the end of the ban.

He was also told he would have 12 weeks custody suspended for 12 months. As part of this, he will have to complete 100 hours of unpaid work. He also had to pay £85 prosecution costs and a £80 victim surcharge.

Magistrates told Griffiths: “Consider yourself a very lucky man. Lucky that you’re walking out of this court and not down to the cells and lucky you didn’t kill or injure anyone.”

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. private jet charter Ibiza

    April 10, 2026 at 10:57 pm

    Your expertise on this subject shines through in this post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet

Published

on

New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty

FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.

The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.

Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.

The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.

“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.

“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.

“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.

“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”

The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints

Published

on

Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed

ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.

Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.

The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.

Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.

He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.

“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”

The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.

Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.

Photo caption:

Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)

 

Continue Reading

News

Cefn Sidan retains Blue Flag status as one of Wales’ top beaches

Published

on

CEFΝ Sidan has retained its place among the world’s best coastal locations after being awarded Blue Flag status in the Wales Coast Awards 2026.

The Carmarthenshire beach, located within Pembrey Country Park near Burry Port, has now received the prestigious award 38 times — more than any other beach in Wales.

Cefn Sidan was also the first beach in Wales to receive a Blue Flag when the awards were introduced in 1988.

The awards, announced by Keep Wales Tidy, recognise beaches that meet high standards for water quality, safety, facilities, environmental education and site management.

A total of 48 beaches across Wales were recognised this year, with 20 receiving Blue Flag status.

Cefn Sidan is an eight-mile sandy beach backed by dunes and forms part of Pembrey Country Park, one of Carmarthenshire’s major visitor attractions. The park also offers woodland walks, mountain bike trails, a dry ski slope, toboggan ride, crazy golf, train rides and a family campsite.

Owen Derbyshire, Chief Executive of Keep Wales Tidy said: “We are delighted to see Cefn Sidan once again retaining its Blue Flag Award status and continuing to hold the title of the Welsh beach which has received the most Blue Flags.

“As Wales’ very first Blue Flag Award winner, we appreciate the ongoing commitment of everyone at Carmarthenshire County Council and Pembrey Country Park in ensuring Cefn Sidan meets the high standards needed to gain the Blue Flag Award.”

He added: “These awards recognise high and consistent standards and we would like to thank staff, volunteers and everyone else at sites across Wales who work so hard to protect and preserve our natural landscape in the face of increasingly challenging circumstances.

“All of these places are beautiful but seeing that flag flying means visitors can be assured that they are clean, safe and well-managed with excellent facilities too.”

Other Blue Flag beaches in west Wales include Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Saundersfoot, Tenby South and Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire.

Thirteen Welsh beaches also received Green Coast Awards, including Mwnt and Penbryn in Ceredigion, Freshwater East and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire.

A further 15 beaches gained Seaside Awards, including Aberystwyth South and North.

 

Continue Reading

Health18 hours ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community1 day ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News6 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News6 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

Popular This Week