News
Withybush: Health chief speaks to The Herald
FOLLOWING loud public protests about the Local Health Board’s plans for the future of Withybush Hospital, local media were invited to meet with Health Board Chair Trevor Purt for interviews in the Board’s offices at Merlin’s Court, Winch Lane, Haverfordwest.
The Herald put questions to the Health Board chief which our readers and correspondents raised with us about the decision to close the Special Care Baby Unit at Withybush and transfer services elsewhere and about the future of health care at the Haverfordwest site.
Polite but firm, Trevor Purt did not allow much of the exasperation he must undoubtedly feel spill over into his answers. When it did, he was clear and forthright. To be sure, he was eager to get his message across and – in terms – that message was that changes to service provision in Pembrokeshire have not been driven by a determination to cut costs but in order to ensure quality of care.
We asked him first about the announcement of the “safety net” made by Health Minister Mark Drakeford in the Senedd on January 21. Did the announcement of the “safety net” mean that the arrangements announced in September were incomplete?
“We had put a safety net in place. It was never going to be the case that we would shut the provision at Withybush down on one day and shift it over to Carmarthen the next. That would be impractical and illogical. There are twelve months while we examine the progress of the service change and that will be done by a panel drawn from the Community Health Council and other stakeholders.
“Not even our sternest critics suggest that the model we propose is wrong: the dispute is about the location of the unit at which we will deliver centralized services for complex births. As a board we have to look beyond parochial concerns and deliver the best possible outcomes for the whole of the population the Board serves.”
But why Glangwili?
“We chose Glangwili ahead of Withybush because it has better links to Morriston Hospital and the wider Health Board area. I have heard the suggestion that we have not discussed our plans with Abertawe Bro Morgannwg Health Board. We have considered developments at Morriston very carefully indeed and been in close communication with our counterparts there. People should not let rhetoric get in the way of the facts.
“Plans are not made in isolation, we have a range of considerations to take into account. If we had chosen Withybush, we would be facing the same protests in Carmarthen as we are in Haverfordwest. I understand people are angry and frustrated but I believe that is because there has been a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation.
“I want to make a couple of things very clear: the Royal College of Midwives has told us that in order for a junior doctor to get sufficient expertise in obstetrics they need to be exposed to a range of types of case. They have said that the range required means that a unit has to have 2,500 births annually. That is the position of the professional bodies as well. The Deanery and the GMC require doctors to be fully accredited and to maintain that accreditation. If we have insufficient accredited doctors, all complex births would be taken to Morriston and none would take place in the Health Board area.
“This is not about money. This is about delivering a safe and sustainable future for obstetric provision across the Health Board’s area. In many respects, we are suffering from a long term structural problem. It is a numbers game, but the number is not money: it is about attracting, training and retaining staff.
“Secondly, we announced our plans last January. The CHC did not raise any issue about switching to a midwifery led obstetric service. Its objection only related to SCBU. The idea that this is a sudden change or shock announcement is wrong. We made our plans clear last year.
“The experience in Powys, where there has been a midwife-led obstetric service since 2001, has been that that service has been effective and safe. We anticipate that the majority of expectant mums will be able to choose where to give birth and most births will take place where they are planned to take place. It will be mum’s choice in the overwhelming majority of cases.
“In addition, the Emergency Medical Response Service – which is being planned for the whole of Wales – will ensure very quick access to emergency care. When there is an emergency, patients will be stabilized locally, where possible, and then taken to the appropriate unit for specialist care, whether that is at Glangwili or Morriston.”
But what about the decision on paediatric care? Is the health board “salami-slicing” services as critics have claimed?
“No. I want to make it as clear as possible. Our plans for obstetrics were announced last year at the end of the consultation. This is not new and, again, our plans for paediatric care were not criticised by the Community Health Council. They did not form part of the referral to the Minister and were not considered by the expert panel on the future of the Special Care Baby Unit.”
What about A & E at Withybush? Part of the rationale in closing the Minor Injury Units at Tenby and Pembroke Dock was that this would preserve services at Withybush. Is A & E safe?
“I want to make this as clear as I can: I do not foresee that we will not continue to provide an emergency 24/7 service at Withybush.“That service configuration might be with middle grade staff or a GP service, but we will maintain a 24/7 A & E service at Withybush.”
Our interview ends. Our friends at Radio Pembrokeshire are waiting with a large microphone outside. We will be meeting again with Trevor Purt in March. Let us know what questions you want to put to him and we will do our best to work them into our meeting.
News
Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet
New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty
FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.
The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.
Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.
The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.
“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.
“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.
“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.
“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”
The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.
Local Government
Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints
Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed
ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.
Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.
The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.
Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.
He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.
“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”
The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.
Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.
Photo caption:
Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)
News
Cefn Sidan retains Blue Flag status as one of Wales’ top beaches
CEFΝ Sidan has retained its place among the world’s best coastal locations after being awarded Blue Flag status in the Wales Coast Awards 2026.
The Carmarthenshire beach, located within Pembrey Country Park near Burry Port, has now received the prestigious award 38 times — more than any other beach in Wales.
Cefn Sidan was also the first beach in Wales to receive a Blue Flag when the awards were introduced in 1988.
The awards, announced by Keep Wales Tidy, recognise beaches that meet high standards for water quality, safety, facilities, environmental education and site management.
A total of 48 beaches across Wales were recognised this year, with 20 receiving Blue Flag status.
Cefn Sidan is an eight-mile sandy beach backed by dunes and forms part of Pembrey Country Park, one of Carmarthenshire’s major visitor attractions. The park also offers woodland walks, mountain bike trails, a dry ski slope, toboggan ride, crazy golf, train rides and a family campsite.
Owen Derbyshire, Chief Executive of Keep Wales Tidy said: “We are delighted to see Cefn Sidan once again retaining its Blue Flag Award status and continuing to hold the title of the Welsh beach which has received the most Blue Flags.
“As Wales’ very first Blue Flag Award winner, we appreciate the ongoing commitment of everyone at Carmarthenshire County Council and Pembrey Country Park in ensuring Cefn Sidan meets the high standards needed to gain the Blue Flag Award.”
He added: “These awards recognise high and consistent standards and we would like to thank staff, volunteers and everyone else at sites across Wales who work so hard to protect and preserve our natural landscape in the face of increasingly challenging circumstances.
“All of these places are beautiful but seeing that flag flying means visitors can be assured that they are clean, safe and well-managed with excellent facilities too.”
Other Blue Flag beaches in west Wales include Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Saundersfoot, Tenby South and Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire.
Thirteen Welsh beaches also received Green Coast Awards, including Mwnt and Penbryn in Ceredigion, Freshwater East and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire.
A further 15 beaches gained Seaside Awards, including Aberystwyth South and North.
-
News2 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community1 day agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







