News
Megan’s heartbroken mother hits out at police over lack of support
AN EMOTIVE post on social media by the mother of Megan Evans, the 14-year-old Milford Haven schoolgirl who took her own life last month, has received hundreds of reactions within hours of publication.
The scathing account by the heartbroken mother regarding the lack of support she has received from both police and Megan’s school has received a wave of reaction on Facebook.
In an emotional post Nicola Harteveld said: “Contrary to what was reported regarding specialist officers supporting us a family, I should like to put the record straight for two reasons.
“Firstly I am utterly devastated and disappointed, that we as a family are left to cope alone after suffering the ultimate tragedy of losing Megan and secondly to stop any other family in the future having to go through what we are going through.
“I have left it a month to see what support will transpire – but am still left wondering. Our grief today is still as raw as the moment we found out our beautiful Megan was gone, yet we still stand alone.
“We have not had contact with a police officer regarding the investigation since early hours of 8th February and am still waiting to hear about counselling for ourselves & our children.
“If it wasn’t for me personally contacting my GP ten days later asking for advice, who then promptly arranged specialist support for the children, I don’t know where we would be.
“Then to add insult to injury, we have had no contact from Megan’s school since her death whatsoever, despite numerous attempts on our behalf to collect personal items & work of hers at the school. This has resulted in us resorting to sending a solicitors letter, just so we can collect these precious things.
“We are left hurt and dismayed at the total lack of support & compassion shown by both parties. Dyfed-Powys Police and Milford Haven School bow your heads in shame.
“We have a long road ahead of us but we will fight for Megan and campaign to ensure changes are implemented so others don’t suffer this travesty. If it wasn’t for our fine community and members of the public with their kind gestures and messages of support. We’re not sure we would have come as far as we have today
Ms Harteveld ended the post by saying: “Yet again our services have let us down.”
The Herald has contacted Pembrokeshire County Council on behalf of Milford Haven School and Dyfed-Powys Police for a comment.
There were over 120 comments from local people on Facebook, and over 350 reactions within hours of Wednesday night’s post.
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is continuing to conduct an investigation on behalf of HM Coroner for Pembrokeshire into the tragic sudden death of 14-year-old , from Milford Haven.
“The force initially deployed a specialist family liaison officer to work with and support the family. A senior detective officer has been in contact with the family and will be making further contact with them today to discuss any further concerns they may have.
“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies remain firmly with the family. While the investigation is still underway we would urge people not to speculate on the circumstances surrounding Megan’s death. We wish to reassure the community that this matter is being taken very seriously, and we are following-up all possible lines of enquiry to establish a picture of what happened in the lead-up to Megan’s death. Anyone with any information that may assist the enquiry is asked to contact Milford Haven CID.”
A spokesman for Pembrokeshire County Council told the Herald: “As the local education authority, we strongly refute allegations of a lack of support from the school for Megan’s family.
“Support, including counselling, has been offered to the family on several occasions but has been repeatedly declined.
“The family chose a local headteacher to act as a liaison officer between themselves and the school.
“The liaison officer has returned all of Megan’s artwork. This was done promptly following a request from the family.
“The only items which belong to Megan and which remain in school are her exercise books.
“Arrangements are in hand to return these to the family together with a Book of Condolence prepared by the school.
Charity
Ashmole & Co to support Alzheimer’s Society with year of fundraising
WEST Wales accountancy firm Ashmole & Co has chosen Alzheimer’s Society as its charity of the year.
The firm, which has thirteen offices across west, mid and south Wales, has raised more than £60,000 for good causes in recent years, including Wales Air Ambulance, Cardiac Risk in the Young, Tenovus Cancer Care and the DPJ Foundation.
Staff will now spend the next 12 months raising money for Alzheimer’s Society through collections, events, dress-down Fridays, cake bakes, running challenges and a sponsored walk later in the year.
The charity supports people affected by dementia, campaigns for better services and funds research into the condition.
Ashmole & Co said staff were keen to support a cause which affects thousands of families across Wales.
Laura Craddock, Ashmole & Co Partner in the Ammanford office, said: “Many of our staff are already aware of the great work done by Alzheimer’s Society and were keen to help raise funds for this worthwhile charity over the next 12 months.
“We hope our clients and friends will help us raise as much money as possible through collections and events for this extremely worthy cause.”
Alzheimer’s Society says around one million people in the UK are currently living with dementia, with that figure expected to rise to 1.4 million by 2040.
In Wales, around 51,000 people are living with dementia, with many still undiagnosed.
The charity says dementia is the UK’s biggest killer and costs the UK economy an estimated £42 billion a year, a figure expected to rise sharply in the coming years.
Dan Gee, Regional Fundraiser for Alzheimer’s Society, said: “We are very grateful to Ashmole & Co for choosing to help raise funds for Alzheimer’s Society over the next 12 months.
“There are currently 51,000 people living with dementia in Wales, half of those without a diagnosis. It is the UK’s biggest killer; it affects us all, and it devastates lives.
“Only together can we beat dementia – by giving vital support to those who need it, funding groundbreaking research, and campaigning to make dementia the priority it should be.
“It will take a society to beat dementia, and we thank you for your support.”
Ashmole & Co Chartered and Certified Accountants was established in 1897 and is one of the largest accountancy and auditing practices in Wales, with offices including Swansea, Carmarthen, Haverfordwest and Tenby.
Donations to support the firm’s fundraising can be made through its JustGiving page or directly at any Ashmole & Co office.
Photo caption: Ashmole & Co partners with Dan Gee, Alzheimer’s Society Regional Fundraiser. Pictured from left are Will Hughes and Ian Badham, Partners in the Haverfordwest and Tenby offices; Laura Craddock, Partner in the Ammanford office; Dan Gee from Alzheimer’s Society; Chris Daultrey, Partner in the Swansea office; Ceri Llwyd, Partner in the Llandeilo and Llandovery offices; and Sharon George, Partner in the Carmarthen office.
Community
Wales & West Utilities donates £1,000 to support Narberth community pool
Donation will help charity fund energy-saving improvements and secure pool’s future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Pembrokeshire has received a £1,000 donation to support major sustainability improvements.
Swim Narberth, the charity which runs Narberth Swimming Pool, has been given the funding by Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service.
The money will go towards the charity’s energy-efficiency project, which aims to cut energy use, reduce carbon emissions and make the facility more resilient for the future.
The pool was saved from permanent closure in 2014 following a community campaign. It is now used by more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week.
Planned improvements include replacing the ageing roof, installing a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrading the pool’s existing solar panels. The upgrades are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30 per cent.
Chris Walters, chairman of Swim Narberth, said: “As a small rural charity, support like this plays a vital role in helping us reach our £40,000 community match-funding target, which will unlock significant investment from the Welsh Government’s Community Facilities Programme.
“We are so grateful for Wales & West Utilities’ support and the funding will go towards our extensive improvements at the pool, including roof replacement works and major plant efficiency upgrades to help secure the pool’s long-term future.”
Narberth Swimming Pool provides learn-to-swim programmes, water safety education, inclusive and disability-friendly sessions, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
It is also the only accessible swimming facility within a 10-mile radius, serving families, schools and community groups across the surrounding rural area.
Sophie Shorney, engagement and social impact manager at Wales & West Utilities, said: “We are proud to support the communities in which we work and are pleased to lend a helping hand to an organisation that provides such an important service for the local community.
“We are pleased that this money will be put to good use and drive improvements that will help safeguard the future of the pool, while reducing running costs and environmental impact.”
Wales & West Utilities delivers energy to more than 7.5 million people across Wales and the south west of England through a network of more than 35,000 kilometres of underground pipes.
Health
Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens
More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform
OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging the new Welsh Government to act before pressure on the NHS and social care system deepens further.
More than 300 members of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists in Wales have signed an open letter calling for a major shift towards prevention, early intervention and care closer to home.
They say too much support is currently arriving only after people have reached crisis point.
The therapists argue that earlier help in the community could reduce hospital admissions, ease pressure on overstretched services and improve lives across Wales.
Occupational therapists work across the health and care system, supporting premature babies and families in neonatal care, helping children take part in school, enabling adults to stay in or return to work, and helping older people live safely in their own homes.
The Royal College says the profession is often overlooked, despite playing a vital role in keeping people independent and reducing demand on hospitals.
Its members are calling for five key changes, including embedding occupational therapists in every community healthcare cluster, improving workforce planning, putting prevention at the heart of health policy, ending inconsistencies in provision, and opening leadership roles to occupational therapists.
Paul Smith, RCOT Policy and Public Affairs Lead for Wales, said: “Wales can’t afford to keep waiting for a crisis to happen.
“Occupational therapists are already preventing hospital admissions, easing pressure on stretched services and supporting people to do the occupations they want and need to do.
“But they need to be positioned to provide the right support at the right time to make maximum impact.”
The call comes amid continued concern over waiting times, delayed discharges and pressure on hospitals, including in rural parts of Wales where patients often face long journeys for care.
RCOT says ministers, health boards, councils and sector leaders must now work with the profession to ensure people receive the right support earlier, closer to home, and before problems spiral into crisis.
-
News2 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime4 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime4 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Community21 hours agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime4 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime4 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Community7 days agoConcern grows after child hospitalised following Tenby sea swim
-
Local Government6 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface








