Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Swan ‘killers’ in court

Published

on

Swans: The family in Withybush Woods before the shootings (pic. The Herald)

THREE people accused of shooting four swans at Withybush Woods in October last year appeared before magistrates at Haverfordwest Law Court today (Mar 14).

There should have been four people in the dock, however Joseph Lawson, accused of jointly harming a swan with his co-defendants, did not attend court.

Magistrates issued a warrant without bail and hoped he would be brought to court immediately, before officers became aware that Lawson was in Mansfield.

The defendants who decided to show up to the hearing were: 32-year-old Gareth George Mattson of Goshawk Road in Haverfordwest; 24-year-old Benjamin Phillips of Jury Lane in Haverfordwest; and a 13-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

The 13-year-old boy and Phillips both pleaded guilty to the charges against them, however Mattson denied the allegation.

Prosecutor, Vaughan Pritchard-Jones, told the court that a problem with the swans was reported to Maria Evans of the Wildlife Trust. Ms Evans attended Withybush Woods on October 20, and could see a female adult swan was dead, but she was unable to recover it.

Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “The swan still hasn’t been recovered, and may still be there unless it has been taken away by a predator.”

He explained to the court that the following day, a cygnet had been found on the bank of the lake and was recovered. It was taken to All Pets Vet Care in Milford Haven for a veterinary examination.

At this point, it was still alive.

Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “It had received an injury to its wings. An x-ray taken of its wing showed fragments of an air pellet. The main bone had completely severed and was out of alignment. It had completely snapped.

“There were four or five metal fragments in its wing. It had to be put down, as it was unable to make a recovery.”

Three days later, a male swan was found dead in the same location. This bird was too taken to All Pets Vet Care, and underwent an X-Ray.

Mr Pritchard-Jones explained: “One pellet was in the middle of the abdomen, and one was near the joint of the leg by the hip joint.”

A fourth cygnet was recovered by the RSPCA the following day, which had damage to its wing consisting of a ‘soft tearing injury’.

Mr Pritchard-Jones told the court that there was no pellet found in that cygnet. However the wound ‘could’ have been made by a pellet passing through.

He went on to say that after police had made enquiries, suspicion fell on the four defendants. They made prepared statements, and the police and prosecution pieced together what had happened from these.

There were no eyewitnesses.

Phillips told officers that ‘the plan was to shoot some rabbits’, but they found none, and instead decided to look for ducks to shoot instead.

Mr Phillips said: “The swan was shot and I took a shot to put it out of its misery. I aimed for its head but I missed. The gun was passed around.

“I regret bitterly that I became involved. Things got out of hand. This was not a prank – it was a big mistake.”

The court heard that before the shooting of the swans commenced, there was a discussion about whether it should be done or not. The court heard that the 13-year-old had said: “I think it would be funny as f**k.”

Defending the 13-year-old boy, Katy Hanson, said: “He is only 13 and has no previous convictions. He’s never been in trouble, and it’s incredibly sad to see someone so young here today.

“What he says, is he had gone shooting and assumed that it was okay to have an air rifle. He not got a great knowledge of the law, and trusted adults not to lead him astray.

“He was with three people who were significantly older. They suggested shots should be taken at the swans and the gun was passed to him. He took one shot, and purposefully missed the swan.”

Ms Hanson continued: “He has ADHD and hyperactivity disorder. His mother is horrified by the incident and trusted [the adults] to look after him.

“This has had a huge impact on his life. He had difficulty sleeping and eating. He is in school, and finds things stressful.”

Magistrates imposed a 12 month referral order, and ordered that the 13-year-old pay £85 prosecution costs and £20 victim surcharge.

Magistrates then turned their attention to dealing with Phillips.

A report from the probation service said that he felt an ‘immense’ amount of peer pressure, and that if he was in this situation again he would call the RSPCA.

Defence solicitor, David Williams, said: “My client recognises the immense public disapproval and upset that his participation has caused.

“Phillips took three to four shots to put the swan out of its misery. He did not shoot at any of the other swans, and was not in possession of the gun after he had done what I have described.”

Mr Williams commented on the fact that it has taken five months for the matter to come to court, and explained what has happened in Phillips’ life in that time. He said: “The public disapproval has manifested itself in worse ways.

“On March 10, my client’s family car was vandalised. It had on its bonnet, on one side from front to back and on one wheel arch, obscene words scratched on it. I won’t repeat the obscenities, but one was ‘swan killer’.”

The chair of the bench told Phillips: “This is a difficult and distressing case. The community feel very strongly about the case, and we believe it has crossed the custody threshold.”

Magistrates sentenced Phillips for four months imprisonment, suspended for a total of 12 months. He must complete 150 hours of unpaid work and complete a 15 day rehabilitation activity requirement. He must also pay £85 prosecution costs and £115 victim surcharge.

A trial date for Mattson was set, and will take place on Wednesday, April 19 at 10am at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.

He was released on bail until then, on condition that he made no contact with prosecution witnesses.

 

News

Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet

Published

on

New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty

FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.

The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.

Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.

The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.

“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.

“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.

“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.

“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”

The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints

Published

on

Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed

ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.

Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.

The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.

Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.

He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.

“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”

The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.

Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.

Photo caption:

Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)

 

Continue Reading

News

Cefn Sidan retains Blue Flag status as one of Wales’ top beaches

Published

on

CEFΝ Sidan has retained its place among the world’s best coastal locations after being awarded Blue Flag status in the Wales Coast Awards 2026.

The Carmarthenshire beach, located within Pembrey Country Park near Burry Port, has now received the prestigious award 38 times — more than any other beach in Wales.

Cefn Sidan was also the first beach in Wales to receive a Blue Flag when the awards were introduced in 1988.

The awards, announced by Keep Wales Tidy, recognise beaches that meet high standards for water quality, safety, facilities, environmental education and site management.

A total of 48 beaches across Wales were recognised this year, with 20 receiving Blue Flag status.

Cefn Sidan is an eight-mile sandy beach backed by dunes and forms part of Pembrey Country Park, one of Carmarthenshire’s major visitor attractions. The park also offers woodland walks, mountain bike trails, a dry ski slope, toboggan ride, crazy golf, train rides and a family campsite.

Owen Derbyshire, Chief Executive of Keep Wales Tidy said: “We are delighted to see Cefn Sidan once again retaining its Blue Flag Award status and continuing to hold the title of the Welsh beach which has received the most Blue Flags.

“As Wales’ very first Blue Flag Award winner, we appreciate the ongoing commitment of everyone at Carmarthenshire County Council and Pembrey Country Park in ensuring Cefn Sidan meets the high standards needed to gain the Blue Flag Award.”

He added: “These awards recognise high and consistent standards and we would like to thank staff, volunteers and everyone else at sites across Wales who work so hard to protect and preserve our natural landscape in the face of increasingly challenging circumstances.

“All of these places are beautiful but seeing that flag flying means visitors can be assured that they are clean, safe and well-managed with excellent facilities too.”

Other Blue Flag beaches in west Wales include Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Saundersfoot, Tenby South and Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire.

Thirteen Welsh beaches also received Green Coast Awards, including Mwnt and Penbryn in Ceredigion, Freshwater East and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire.

A further 15 beaches gained Seaside Awards, including Aberystwyth South and North.

 

Continue Reading

Health21 hours ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News6 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News6 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

Popular This Week