Crime
Jamie Oliver calls on fans to help solve ‘cheese heist’

CELEBRITY chef Jamie Oliver has urged the public to be vigilant for any suspiciously cheap “posh cheese” on the market after over 22 tonnes of high-quality cheddar were stolen in a sophisticated heist targeting Neal’s Yard Dairy, a prominent London cheese specialist.
The stolen goods, valued at over £300,000, include award-winning cheeses like Hafod Welsh cheddar, crafted at Bwlchwernen Vawr Farm, home of Holden Dairy—a 300-acre organic farm in West Wales. .
This unique cheese is produced in limited quantities using unpasteurised milk from a small herd of Ayrshire cows.
The perpetrators, posing as legitimate wholesalers for a major French retailer, obtained 950 cloth-bound cheeses from Neal’s Yard Dairy before the scam was uncovered.
In a post to his Instagram followers, Oliver expressed his dismay, describing the theft as “a brazen heist of epic proportions.” He encouraged people to be vigilant, noting, “If anyone hears anything about posh cheese going for cheap, it’s probably some wrong’uns.” Referring to the bizarre nature of the theft, Oliver added, “It feels like a really weird thing to nick.”
The Metropolitan Police confirmed they are investigating the incident, which they said was reported on Monday, but so far, no arrests have been made.
International outpouring of support
Neal’s Yard Dairy reported being “overwhelmed” with support following the theft. Sarah Stewart, the owner of the artisanal cheese retailer, told The Times, “British people clearly love their cheese. Trade customers are asking, ‘What can we do?’ and we’ve had a lot of international support. Our shops have seen concerned customers, and e-commerce orders have spiked.”
The firm, based in Southwark, also confirmed it had paid the small-scale cheese producers, ensuring they wouldn’t face the financial burden of the theft. Despite the setback, Neal’s Yard Dairy is receiving uplifting messages and additional orders from both local and global customers.
The scam reportedly began in July when fraudsters contacted Neal’s Yard Dairy, impersonating a known European cheese distributor. The interaction continued over several months, showing a sophisticated understanding of the industry.
Police inquiries into the case are ongoing.
Crime
Holiday conwoman duped families with fake Tenby breaks

A WOMAN who tricked families into paying for non-existent caravan holidays in Tenby has avoided jail despite defrauding dozens of victims.
Rebecca Newcombe, aged 28, from Ebbw Vale, admitted to 35 counts of fraud after a three-year scam that ran between 2017 and 2020.
Newcombe used fake names on social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram to advertise cut-price getaways. She also ran a page called Cheap Bargains Galore, offering counterfeit designer clothes and accessories.
Newport Crown Court heard how the fraudster took out fake listings for holidays at sites including Tenby, Trecco Bay Holiday Park in Porthcawl, and Devon Cliffs in Exmouth.
Victims, many of whom were looking forward to family holidays, were left out of pocket—some losing hundreds of pounds—after Newcombe failed to deliver on her promises. When they arrived at the holiday parks, she would message them saying she was “on the way with the keys”, but never showed up.
Prosecutor Tabitha Walker told the court: “Excuses were made for the non-delivery of goods and services, and victims were promised refunds that never materialised. None of the items paid for were ever delivered.”
In total, Newcombe pocketed just under £8,000.
Statements from victims described the impact of the fraud, with one saying: “I feel utterly humiliated this has happened to me.” Others said they felt heartbroken, angry, and embarrassed by the ordeal.
Newcombe, of Canterbury Road, Beaufort, was previously jailed in 2017 for a similar offence.
Her barrister, Julia Cox, asked the court to consider the significant delay in bringing the matter to justice.
Judge Daniel Williams sentenced her to 18 months in prison, suspended for 24 months, citing a “realistic prospect of rehabilitation”.
She was also ordered to pay £1,000 in prosecution costs and a £140 victim surcharge.
Crime
Man avoids jail despite possessing child abuse images

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been spared immediate custody after police found almost 70 indecent images of children on his mobile phone — including one image of a child aged around three whose hands and ankles were bound.
Andrew Davies, aged 36, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on Tuesday (Apr 1), having earlier pleaded guilty to three counts of possessing indecent photographs of children.
The court heard that officers from Dyfed-Powys Police executed a search warrant at Davies’ home on Brewery Street in November 2022. Davies was present at the property and handed over a mobile phone along with the PIN code to unlock it.
Upon examination of the device, officers discovered 67 illegal images. These included nine category A images — the most serious classification — 14 category B images, and 44 category C images. The images had been downloaded and stored in a password-protected application.
Prosecuting, Sian Cutter said one of the images showed a child estimated to be three years old with their limbs restrained. She told the court that all of the material was accessible on the device and had been intentionally downloaded.
In mitigation, defence barrister Ryan Bowen said Davies was “under no illusion as to the seriousness of his offending”. He said the offences dated back to 2019, and that the matter had been hanging over Davies for several years.
Mr Bowen added: “He has no previous convictions and is of otherwise good character. He accepts responsibility for his actions and has shown insight and a willingness to address his behaviour. There is a realistic prospect of rehabilitation.”
Sentencing, Her Honour Judge Catherine Richards told Davies: “The possession and viewing of child sexual abuse images causes direct harm to real children. It is a very serious aggravating factor that some of the images involve children as young as three.”
Davies was handed three prison terms of eight, four and two months, to run concurrently, making a total of eight months. The sentence was suspended for two years.
He must complete 200 hours of unpaid work and attend 25 rehabilitation activity days. He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.
Crime
Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene
A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished unchecked at HMP Parc — which houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire — while prison leadership appeared to look the other way, a cache of leaked messages obtained by The Herald suggests.
The explosive text and social media messages — exchanged between serving and former officers at the privately-run Bridgend jail — reveal not only a disturbing level of misconduct among some frontline staff, but a prison seemingly adrift, without effective oversight or internal accountability.
Officers joked about suicide attempts, bragged about violent assaults, and casually described provoking vulnerable inmates into confrontation — all in the open, with no reference to line managers, disciplinary consequences, or intervention from senior staff.
In one message, an officer writes: “Let’s push him to go tomorrow so we can drop him.” Another adds: “They smashed him into the shower lol,” with a colleague replying: “Good! I hope they hurt him too.”
In a separate conversation, a prisoner who had slit his wrists is described as “daft” and someone who should be sent “to a f lonnie bin.” One officer joked: “He’ll tie a bag around his neck,” followed by: “Too much paperwork,” and “Don’t have to do paperwork if you pretend not to see it.”

No fear of consequences
The messages, some of which were shared on social media last summer, contain no suggestion that those involved feared being caught or disciplined. In fact, the tone throughout is brazen, boastful and often gleeful — pointing to what campaigners now describe as a complete failure of leadership inside the prison.
“There’s no mention of superiors, no sense that anyone was trying to stop this,” one prison reform advocate told The Herald. “That tells you everything you need to know about the culture at the top.”
The Herald was the first to report on the leaked messages, which have since been seen by national media including the BBC, PA and The Independent. Their contents have now become part of an ongoing criminal investigation by South Wales Police.
Ten officers arrested — but no managers held accountable
Since September 2024, ten officers at HMP Parc have been arrested on suspicion of assault and misconduct in public office.
Four arrests were made on 20 September 2024, but all four individuals were later released without charge. In January 2025, six more officers were detained, with five bailed until the end of April and one released under investigation.
South Wales Police told The Herald: “The investigation remains ongoing, and officers are continuing to work closely with G4S.”
Despite the scale of the investigation, no senior managers or governors at the prison have been suspended, dismissed, or formally investigated. G4S has confirmed that three of the officers arrested in the first phase have been dismissed, and a fourth remains suspended pending disciplinary action.
Campaigners say that is not enough.
“If this level of abuse was happening openly among officers, leadership either knew and did nothing, or they were completely unaware of the day-to-day culture inside their own prison,” one former prison inspector said. “Either way, it’s a failure.”
Seventeen deaths in one year

The crisis at Parc has unfolded against a grim backdrop: seventeen inmates died in the prison during 2024, making it the deadliest prison in the UK that year.
In a letter to the House of Lords’ Justice and Home Affairs Committee in October, Prisons Minister James Timpson confirmed that the Ministry of Justice’s anti-corruption unit is actively investigating the facility.
In December, MPs were told that organised criminal gangs were smuggling drugs and weapons into Parc via children’s nappies and industrial drones. A riot in 2023 led to the replacement of the prison’s director by mutual agreement, with new leadership installed — but problems appear to have persisted.
“Catastrophic safeguarding failure”
In March 2025, The Herald reported on a separate police investigation into the alleged sexual assault of a vulnerable young inmate on X1 Wing. The victim, aged 18–19, was reportedly scalded with boiling water and forced to perform a sexual act at knifepoint by a known high-risk offender.
Campaigners questioned how the attacker — flagged in his OASys risk assessment as dangerous and premeditated — was allowed to share a cell with a vulnerable young prisoner.
Zack Griffiths, of the HMP Prisons Justice Group, said: “A vulnerable young person was left exposed to a violent, dangerous offender, and the consequences have been devastating. This isn’t just an individual crime — it’s a catastrophic failure of the prison system to safeguard those in its care.”
G4S response and silence from above

In a statement, a spokesperson for G4S said: “We are absolutely committed to rooting out any wrongdoing. Of the four individuals who were arrested and released without charge by South Wales Police, three have been dismissed from the company and one remains suspended pending the outcome of a disciplinary process.
Our staff are expected to treat everyone with dignity and respect and we have a zero-tolerance approach to dealing with any staff behaviour that falls short of our standards. The vast majority of our staff are hardworking and honest.”
The Prison Reform Trust declined to provide an on-the-record statement, but confirmed they have been hearing concerns from prisoners at HMP Parc and offered to speak off the record about broader issues within the prison system.
Calls grow for independent inquiry
With police investigations continuing, no charges brought, and no senior leadership held publicly accountable, calls are growing for a fully independent public inquiry into how HMP Parc has been run — and how such a corrosive environment was allowed to take hold.
“This isn’t just about a few bad officers,” one whistleblower said. “This is a broken culture, and it starts at the top.”
Parc, the largest prison in Wales, remains one of the few in the UK run by a private contractor. For families of those who died behind its walls, and for the growing number of victims still inside, answers cannot come soon enough.
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity6 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News7 days ago
Park issues clarification on campsite restrictions following backlash
-
News7 days ago
Police appeal after fatal crash on A477 involving two vehicles
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
News7 days ago
Coastguard called to Goodwick breakwater after items found