Crime
No jail for Pembrokeshire man with over 1,000 indecent child images

The judge said this was because a short prison sentence, as required by sentencing guidelines, would not change the offender’s behaviour.
A PUNCHESTON man has been sentenced after police discovered more than 1,000 indecent images and videos of children on his electronic devices.
Thomas Becton, 40, was arrested after officers executed a warrant at his home on the morning of February 2 last year. Prosecutor Caitlin Brazel told the court that police seized multiple devices, including a phone, laptop, handheld console, flash drives, and a computer tower.
A forensic analysis uncovered 11 Category A videos—the most serious classification—along with five Category B videos. In addition, officers found 1,011 images and 17 videos in Category C. Further examination revealed that Becton had made 52 online searches related to child sexual abuse.
When interviewed by police, Becton admitted that the illegal material belonged to him. He later pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children, corresponding to the different categories found on his devices.
“Abhorrent offences”
Defence solicitor Emily Bennett acknowledged the severity of the crimes, stating: “Being in possession of such materials is abhorrent, for which there is no excuse. He recognises the harm inflicted upon children for this.”
Bennett told the court that Becton had been “open about his unhealthy attraction to children” with the probation service and had begun steps to address his behaviour.
Since his arrest, Becton—who is a qualified IT professional—resigned from his job as a supermarket delivery driver.
Judge’s Verdict
Sentencing him at Swansea Crown Court, HH Judge Catherine Richards said: “You accept that you have a sexual interest in children. Those images involved real children being harmed, and by your actions, you have supported the pain and suffering caused to them.”
She acknowledged that cases like this were a sad reality of how frequently such offences come before the courts. However, she explained that sentencing guidelines placed certain constraints on the punishment that could be imposed.
While an immediate prison sentence might seem the obvious response given the severity of the case, she noted that the relatively short term allowed under the guidelines would not provide Becton with sufficient time to address his behaviour through rehabilitation.
Becton received a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years. As part of his punishment, he must complete 150 hours of unpaid work, participate in the iHorizon programme, and attend 25 rehabilitation activity requirement days.
He was also ordered to register as a sex offender for a decade. A separate hearing was scheduled to determine the details of a sexual harm prevention order sought by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
Crime
Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.
Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.
He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.
The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.
He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.
Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News7 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn