Politics
Call to limit Pembrokeshire council presiding member role
A FRESH call for Pembrokeshire’s chairman rather than presiding member to chair full council meetings has been made once again; the last time it was discussed led to heated debate and claims of an “opportunistic political move”.
Pembrokeshire County Council meetings have been chaired by a presiding member since 2020, first Cllr Pat Davies and currently Cllr Simon Hancock.
The position replaces a role previously occupied by chair of the council, the role of council chairman now taking on more of a civic function, with Cllr Steve Alderman the current incumbent.
In a notice of motion before the March 6 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council, Cllr Jamie Adams asked that: “Pembrokeshire County Council should revert the responsibility and honour of Chairing our Full Council meetings to the Chair of Council for the next Municipal Year, 2025/26.”
Cllr Adams, leader of the council under the previous administration, has previously made similar calls.
A call in late 2023 saw heated debate in the council chamber on the subject of a presiding member, with claims there was an “opportunistic political move” to remove the post.
An amendment, to a recommendation to support remuneration of the role, was put forward by Councillor Jamie Adams to delete the role of presiding member from the next election, reverting to the previous chairman role.
However, Deputy Leader Cllr Paul Miller said the proposal by Cllr Adams was “an entirely opportunistic political move” to oust Cllr Hancock.
During a heated meeting, which attracted the ire of Councillor Alan Dennison and Councillor Aled Thomas – Cllr Miller said some previous elected chairs were ‘patsies’ elected by the-then ruling independent political group, under the leadership of Cllr Adams.
Following that meeting, the matter was discussed at the council’s Constitutional Review Committee, stating it had “absolute opposition” to abolishing the post.
Cllr Adams’ 2025 notice of motion has now been referred to a future meeting of the council’s Constitutional Review Committee.
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
News
Welsh Conservatives demand clarity over EHRC guidance in schools
THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have called on the Welsh Government to clarify whether new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance will be implemented in schools across Wales.
Shadow education minister Sam Rowlands MS has written to Cabinet Minister for Education and the Welsh Language Anna Brychan MS following the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Equality Act.
Mr Rowlands said schools, teachers, governors and parents needed clear answers on how the guidance would apply in practice, including on single-sex spaces, safeguarding, changing facilities and sports participation.
He said: “Parents, teachers and pupils deserve clarity from the Welsh Government.
“Schools cannot be left in limbo while ministers avoid making a decision on such an important safeguarding and legal issue.
“The Equality Act applies in Wales, and schools now need clear guidance on what this means in practice.”
In his letter, Mr Rowlands asks whether updated guidance will be issued to schools in Wales, whether schools will be expected to amend existing policies, and what advice will be given to headteachers on safeguarding and compliance with the Equality Act.
He also asks whether the Welsh Government intends to diverge from the approach set out by the EHRC.
The letter says schools and parents require “clear and consistent guidance” to ensure the rights, dignity and safety of all pupils are respected.
-
Community7 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
News19 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims





