Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Climate

‘Severely flawed’ vulnerable customer lists delayed storm response

Published

on

INACCURATE lists of vulnerable people led to delays in responding to storms, with staff sent to non-existent homes and a customer who had died years earlier, a committee heard.

Giving evidence to an inquiry on storms Bert and Darragh, which hit Wales late last year, Carmarthenshire Council described utility firms’ priority customer data as severely flawed.

The council told the Senedd’s climate committee the lists were inaccurate, out of date, and incompatible with NHS and social care definitions of vulnerability.

In written evidence, the council said this resulted in staff being deployed to screen the sheer volume, comparing thousands of names with council and health board records.

The council warned: “This caused unnecessary delays and on several occasions diverted operational staff away from their responsive work … to check addresses which did not either exist or in one case, the customer had passed away years before.”

Appearing before the committee on March 6, Paul Ridley, the council’s civil contingencies manager, called for consistency in the interpretation of vulnerability across all agencies.

Ainsley Williams, director of infrastructure at the council, pointed to initial problems due to concerns raised about data sharing and GDPR.

He added: “It still needs wider awareness amongst organisations that they can do that and must do that in an emergency.”

Ian Christie, managing director of water services at Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water, said: “There is work to be done on joining up all vulnerable customers because we all have individual priority services registers with all different definitions of what makes a customer vulnerable.”

Mr Christie told the committee that GDPR “unfortunately cuts through everything”.

He said: “One of our biggest issues is trying to explain to a customer: just because they’ve registered … with another agency, that doesn’t automatically update to our priority services.”

Liam O’Sullivan, director of ScottishPower Energy Networks which owns the north Wales network, said customers are contracted every two years to check information is up to date.

“It’s very difficult at times because it’s an ever-changing picture,” he told Senedd Members.

The Conservatives’ Janet Finch-Saunders warned of huge issues with priority registers.

Conservative MS Janet Finch-Saunders
Conservative MS Janet Finch-Saunders

Ms Finch-Saunders said: “I can’t for the life of me – now with digital technology – understand why we haven’t got one list that is used by the fire [service], health, you name it.”

She raised January’s burst pipe which left 100,000 people in north Wales without water, with the number of customers registered as vulnerable doubling to 7,500 in a few days.

“That shows there’s some weakness in the system,” she said.

Mr Christie explained a task-and-finish group has been set up by Huw Irranca-Davies, the Deputy First Minister, to look at trying to resolve the issue of one common list.

Labour’s Carolyn Thomas questioned why Anglesey council was only provided with a register at 9pm on Sunday December 9, more than 24 hours after Storm Darragh’s peak.

Labour MS Carolyn Thomas
Labour MS Carolyn Thomas

Mr O’Sullivan said of the approximately 70,000 people who live on the island, 17,000 are on the priority services register.

“We did our best to prioritise those customers,” he said.

Pressed about the 24-hour delay, he told the committee: “I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware that that was the case – but it certainly won’t be the case next time.”

 

Climate

New offshore wind rules could boost Pembrokeshire energy ambitions

Published

on

Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock could benefit as UK reforms aim to speed up floating wind projects in the Celtic Sea

PEMBROKESHIRE could be among the biggest winners from new UK Government reforms aimed at accelerating offshore wind development, with Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock expected to play a key role in the emerging clean energy economy.

New environmental legislation affecting offshore wind farms came into force on Thursday (May 21), with industry leaders claiming the changes could help deliver both more renewable energy and better outcomes for nature.

The reforms, introduced by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), change how environmental compensation for offshore wind projects can be approached, allowing developers to take what ministers describe as a broader and more strategic approach to protecting marine habitats.

Supporters say the changes could help remove delays that have slowed offshore wind developments while maintaining environmental protections.

The move is particularly significant for Pembrokeshire, where hopes are high that the fast-growing floating offshore wind sector in the Celtic Sea will bring major investment, jobs and regeneration to the Milford Haven Waterway.

For several years, Pembrokeshire has been positioning itself as a key player in the UK’s clean energy transition, with the Port of Milford Haven promoting ambitious plans around floating offshore wind, hydrogen production and marine renewables.

Pembroke Dock Marine, supported by millions of pounds of investment, has already been developed as a specialist base for marine energy projects, while the wider Celtic Freeport vision has focused heavily on green industries linked to the Haven.

Industry figures believe the new rules could help speed up planning and consent processes for major offshore wind developments, potentially unlocking investment opportunities for west Wales.

Commenting on the reforms, Offshore Wind Industry Council environment lead Benj Sykes, who is also UK Country Manager for renewable energy company Ørsted, insisted the changes were not about weakening environmental standards.

He said: “By enabling a broader and more strategic range of options, the UK is taking a more outcomes-focused approach to marine compensation.

“Crucially, this is not about lowering environmental standards. It is about implementing a more effective, strategic approach that will deliver better outcomes for nature as we deliver the UK’s Clean Power 2030 ambitions.”

However, the reforms are likely to attract scrutiny in Pembrokeshire, where environmental protections are often a sensitive issue.

The county is home to internationally important marine habitats and wildlife, including seabird populations around Skomer Island, marine conservation zones, and the protected waters of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.

Fishing groups and environmental campaigners have previously raised concerns about the impact of large offshore energy developments on marine ecosystems and local industries.

At the same time, supporters argue offshore wind represents one of the biggest economic opportunities Pembrokeshire has seen in decades.

With Milford Haven already handling around a fifth of the UK’s energy needs through its existing energy infrastructure, many local leaders believe the county is well placed to become a centre for the next generation of low-carbon energy production.

 

Continue Reading

Climate

Henry Tufnell accused of backing ‘drill baby drill’ tactics

Published

on

Environmental group says Pembrokeshire MP’s North Sea stance risks undermining climate policy

PEMBROKESHIRE MP Henry Tufnell has been accused by local environmental campaigners of backing “drill baby drill” tactics over future North Sea oil and gas production.

Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth made the claim after Mr Tufnell wrote an article in The Sun in March criticising the UK Government’s position on new oil and gas drilling.

The group said it wrote to the Labour MP on April 3, challenging his comments and urging him to reconsider his position.

In its letter, the group argued that further North Sea drilling would do little to reduce energy bills or improve energy security, because UK oil and gas prices are linked to international markets.

A spokesperson for Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth said Mr Tufnell’s approach was “supported by the likes of Reform UK and Donald Trump” but rejected by energy and climate experts.

The group said the UK Energy Research Centre had concluded that additional UK oil and gas production would have “negligible impact” on the cost of living, and that the priority should instead be reducing demand and investing in renewable energy.

It also pointed to Climate Change Committee analysis suggesting that job losses in fossil fuel industries would be outweighed by job creation in areas such as renewable energy, retrofitting and electric vehicles.

Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth also criticised Mr Tufnell’s call for the removal of carbon taxes in manufacturing, saying it showed a lack of understanding of the urgency of climate change.

The group said Mr Tufnell had failed to reply to its letter, despite allegedly promising to do so during a face-to-face conversation in Narberth in April.

The spokesperson added: “The fact that the MP has refused to reply to our letter suggests that he either has more respect for a London tabloid newspaper than for his own constituents or is having difficulty justifying the viewpoints he presented in The Sun.”

MP says transition must protect jobs

In response, Mr Tufnell said he was “immensely grateful” for the work of Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth and praised the group’s campaigning on environmental issues.

He said he was proud to have supported the group last month by attending its screening of the People’s Emergency Briefing film, which highlighted threats to nature and climate.

Mr Tufnell said Pembrokeshire was “uniquely placed” to lead the clean energy transition, citing floating offshore wind, hydrogen, carbon capture, sustainable aviation fuel and battery storage.

He added that the county was proud of its coastline, rivers and wildlife, and that the community was committed to protecting them.

However, he said the transition to clean energy had to be “a just one”.

Mr Tufnell said: “Pembrokeshire’s energy sector has powered the UK for decades, and still supplies 20% of the country’s energy demand.

“I am calling on the Government to protect our established energy industries by cutting carbon taxes. Failure to act puts jobs and livelihoods in industrial communities like ours at risk.

“Decarbonisation cannot come at the cost of deindustrialisation and greater deprivation in our county.”

He said households and businesses across the UK had felt the impact of conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine, and argued that Britain must strengthen energy security by making full use of its own resources rather than relying on imports.

Mr Tufnell added: “Oil and gas will remain part of our energy mix for decades to come. It therefore makes sense to use our domestic resources.

“Doing so will not only strengthen our energy security, but support British industry — protecting jobs, boosting tax revenue, cutting our trade deficit and strengthening the economy.

“I will continue to work hard to ensure we have a just energy transition, protecting the jobs and skills base of today, while building the industries of tomorrow.”

 

Continue Reading

Climate

Milford Haven Waterway projects could be fast-tracked under new rules

Published

on

Treasury plans would make it harder for major clean-energy and infrastructure projects to be delayed by legal challenges

THE MILFORD HAVEN Waterway could be one of the areas most affected by new UK Government plans to speed up the delivery of major energy and infrastructure projects.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves is expected to announce reforms giving Parliament greater power to approve nationally important clean-energy schemes, including new power stations, offshore wind farms and grid connections.

The Treasury says the move is designed to strengthen energy security, reduce bills and support economic growth.

But the proposals could also prove highly significant for Pembrokeshire, where the Haven Waterway is increasingly being promoted as a key hub for floating offshore wind, port infrastructure, grid upgrades, hydrogen, and other clean-energy projects.

Under the plans, Parliament would be able to designate key clean-energy schemes as being of “Critical National Importance”. That would reduce the scope for judicial review challenges, except on human rights grounds.

For other nationally significant infrastructure projects, including transport and water schemes, the government plans to introduce a fixed legal challenge window. Once that period has passed, developers would have greater certainty that projects could proceed.

The Treasury said the aim was to stop repeated legal challenges from delaying projects considered vital to the country.

A Treasury spokesperson said: “For too long, vital infrastructure delivery has been delayed by judicial reviews of projects the country needs.

“The Chancellor won’t stand for it any longer and is bringing forward bold changes to support delivery.”

The announcement will be watched closely in Pembrokeshire, where Milford Haven Waterway already plays a major role in the UK’s energy system.

The waterway is home to major port, fuel, gas and power infrastructure, and is central to plans for the next generation of low-carbon energy development in west Wales.

Supporters are likely to argue that faster decision-making could bring investment, jobs and supply-chain opportunities to Pembrokeshire.

However, the proposals may also raise concerns about local accountability, particularly if smaller energy projects are allowed to apply directly to the Planning Inspectorate rather than going through local councils.

That could leave communities feeling they have less influence over developments affecting their landscape, coastline and infrastructure.

The government says the new route would apply specifically to clean-energy projects, reflecting what it describes as the urgent need to move away from reliance on fossil fuels.

For Milford Haven Waterway, the reforms could mean major schemes connected to offshore wind, power generation, grid reinforcement and port-linked infrastructure move forward more quickly.

But they may also intensify debate over who gets the final say when national energy policy meets local communities.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government2 days ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community2 days ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime2 days ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community2 days ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government2 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community3 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime3 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News4 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News4 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg4 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week