Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

Published

on

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally jailed nearly four decades later.

Gary Hicks, now 64, was sentenced to 16 years behind bars at Swansea Crown Court on Friday (Mar 29) after being convicted of rape and multiple child sex offences committed in the Milford Haven area between 1987 and 1989.

At the time of the abuse, Hicks was in his late twenties. His victims, a boy and a girl, were both very young when the crimes took place.

Hicks, of Oregon Way, Luton, was found guilty of rape, two counts of indecency with a child, and three counts of indecent assault. His convictions followed two trials—one in August 2023 and another in February this year—after the jury in the first trial failed to reach a verdict on one of the rape charges.

The abuse came to light in October 2022, when the female victim reported what had happened to her. Her disclosure led to a police investigation, during which the male victim also came forward.

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Constable Emily Gmerek of Dyfed-Powys Police, who led the investigation, said:

“I would like to thank the two extremely brave victims in this case. They have shown immense strength of character, firstly in talking about the abuse, and secondly for working with us throughout the investigation, and the trials.

“This case is an important reminder that justice can be served many years after abuse has taken place. I sincerely hope the victims and their families can now try and move on with their lives, and that after almost 40 years, Hicks’ sentencing gives them some kind of closure.”

During the trial, the court heard how Hicks manipulated and threatened the female victim to keep her silent.

“He told her if she ever told anyone about the abuse, she wouldn’t be believed and she would have no friends,” said prosecuting counsel Daniel Jones. “Who is going to believe a young girl over a grown-up?”

Judge Huw Rees, in passing sentence, said: “This had the desired effect on her,” and described Hicks’ actions as “distasteful and discomforting”.

Hicks will be required to serve two-thirds of his sentence before he is eligible for release. He will also spend a further year on licence and has been placed on the sex offenders register for life. In addition, he is subject to indefinite restraining orders preventing him from contacting his victims.

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

Published

on

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.

Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.

He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.

The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.

He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.

Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).

Continue Reading

Charity16 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business1 day ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business3 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime4 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week