Politics
Ministers urged to keep promise on banning lying politicians
WELSH ministers have been urged to keep a promise to disqualify politicians found guilty of deliberate deception after appearing to backtrack on the commitment.
Plaid Cymru’s Adam Price warned it would be a travesty for the Welsh Government to mislead the Senedd and the public on the very question of honesty in politics.
Ministers pledged to introduce a law next year but Julie James, who is counsel general, the chief legal officer, has now suggested it would not be feasible before the May 2026 election.
Her predecessor Mick Antoniw pledged legislation “before 2026 for the disqualification of members and candidates found guilty of deception through an independent judicial process”.
As a result of July’s agreement, the Senedd voted to remove part of a bill which otherwise could have seen an offence of deliberate deception created.
The promise was reiterated by Huw Irranca-Davies, the Deputy First Minister, in December.
But, in the Welsh Government’s response to committee recommendations, which will be debated this week, Ms James seemed to stop short of meeting the commitment.

As part of a wider inquiry on accountability, the Senedd’s standards committee took evidence on creating a criminal or civil offence of deliberate deception, publishing a report in February.
During the inquiry, some witnesses warned creating an offence would politicise the courts, lead to vexatious complaints and endanger free speech in the Senedd.
Others made a case for radical reform, with faith in democracy at an all-time low, calling for more independence to avoid the perception of politicians marking their own homework.
The standards committee report recommended expanding an existing offence for candidates to include deception while continuing to deal with sitting politicians largely in house.
Ms James said the Welsh Government would develop a proposed offence alongside an assessment of the impact on the justice system and electoral law.
She wrote: “I believe a proposed offence should be the subject of further consultation, which means it is not feasible to include it in the final conduct order for the 2026 Senedd election.”
The Welsh Government will set out more details of its position during the debate on April 2.
Mr Price, who struck July’s 11th-hour deal with ministers, said: “The Welsh Government has previously pledged to ban deliberate deception by politicians before the next election.

“The suggestion they cannot use regulations to achieve this can mean only one thing: they will need to use primary legislation instead.
“It would be an absolute travesty for any government or party to mislead parliament and the public on the very question of honesty in politics itself.”
Sam Fowles, a high-profile barrister who is one of the architects of the initial proposals, argued the regulations could be amended relatively simply.
He pointed out that the proposals have already been subject to legislative scrutiny in the Senedd as well as a public consultation as part of the standards committee inquiry.
Dr Fowles warned of the rise of populist parties like Reform UK, raising concerns about seemingly absurd deceptive statements nonetheless resonating with the electorate.
In a briefing, he told Senedd Members: “Going back on or watering down the government’s promise would be devastating for trust in politics and politicians in the current Senedd.
“It would undoubtedly be seen as a significant betrayal by the public and would likely become a significant attack at the 2026 election.”
More than two thirds of people surveyed for an Opinium poll last year were in favour of a new law to make it illegal for politicians to knowingly lie to the public.
Jennifer Nadel, co-director of the cross-party Compassion in Politics thinktank, which commissioned the poll, said events in the US show how fragile democracy has become.
Warning the threat could hardly be greater, she said: “We can see across the Atlantic what happens when rigorous safeguards are not in place.
“The Welsh Government needs to stick to its commitment both to begin to rebuild voters’ trust but also to ensure democracy is protected from the increasing number of bad actors whose lies skew and pollute the democratic space.”
The award-winning journalist added: “The world is watching Wales. It can either be the world leader or break its clear commitment. With public trust at an all-time low, the latter would be a disastrous route for the government to take.”
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
News
Welsh Conservatives demand clarity over EHRC guidance in schools
THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have called on the Welsh Government to clarify whether new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance will be implemented in schools across Wales.
Shadow education minister Sam Rowlands MS has written to Cabinet Minister for Education and the Welsh Language Anna Brychan MS following the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Equality Act.
Mr Rowlands said schools, teachers, governors and parents needed clear answers on how the guidance would apply in practice, including on single-sex spaces, safeguarding, changing facilities and sports participation.
He said: “Parents, teachers and pupils deserve clarity from the Welsh Government.
“Schools cannot be left in limbo while ministers avoid making a decision on such an important safeguarding and legal issue.
“The Equality Act applies in Wales, and schools now need clear guidance on what this means in practice.”
In his letter, Mr Rowlands asks whether updated guidance will be issued to schools in Wales, whether schools will be expected to amend existing policies, and what advice will be given to headteachers on safeguarding and compliance with the Equality Act.
He also asks whether the Welsh Government intends to diverge from the approach set out by the EHRC.
The letter says schools and parents require “clear and consistent guidance” to ensure the rights, dignity and safety of all pupils are respected.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






