Community
Newgale coastal road could be moved inland in £20m project
A PUBLIC consultation has been launched on the first phase of a potential inland realignment of a Pembrokeshire seaside road which has been hit by heavy flooding.
The consultation is ahead of a formal Pembrokeshire County Council application to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park for Phase 1 of the Newgale Coastal Adaptation Project, which would see the development of a new inland section of road with bridge over Brandy Brook some 2.3km inland, to replace the coastal section of A487 at Newgale that will be closed and removed, and corresponding reclassification of Newgale Hill and Wood Hill coupled with local access improvements within Newgale.

These will comprise a short access road to existing beach front commercial properties, to be in place for up to ten years, bus stop provisions and turning facilities, and a traffic-free Shared Use Path that will replace part of the Wales Coast Path.
Newgale was hit hard by flooding following storms in early 2014 storms, and later by Storm Dennis in 2020.
In 2014 it even saw a visit by the-then Prime Minister David Cameron, as part of a tour of the UK to “learn lessons” following storms and flooding that year.
The main A487 road was closed for about 14 days after waves breached pebble defences that year, and a Richards Bros bus was stranded in floodwater after it was hit by a high wave, leading to the rescue of around 10 passengers.
In 2018, Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet backed a recommendation, long-term, for an inland highway link for the A487.
A supporting statement through agent AtkinsRéalis says the recommended strategic coastal management policy for Newgale is ‘managed realignment,’ allowing the coastline to move backwards and retreat inland, but with management to control the movement, the shoreline management plan recommending that a policy of ‘no active intervention’ is implemented from 2055, meaning no investment in coastal defence or operations.
The Phase 1 proposals comprise of: Rerouting the Newgale section of the A487 main St Davids to Haverfordwest road. Creating a new walking and cycling path through Newgale. Changing access to the beach and coastal businesses. Releasing space for the beach to adapt to coastal change.
The statement adds: “The village of Newgale and the adjacent coastal stretch of the A487 are affected by flooding from waves overtopping the shingle ridge. During storm events, high waves throw shingle onto the road, which can cause flooding of the land behind. Shingle that has landed on the road, blocks access and causes temporary closure of the road until it can be cleared. The road is maintained by shingle clearance on a regular basis, and during periods when the road has to be closed, this causes significant traffic disruption.”
It says a 2020 report commissioned by Pembrokeshire County Council into coastal change at Newgale concluded “that continued efforts to maintain the shingle ridge as a defence is highly likely to be unsustainable beyond 2035, more realistically by 2030,” adding: “Early action is required before the road becomes impassable and unsafe.”
The phase 1 scheme is part of a possible wider Newgale Coastal Adaptation Project, with many other potential future works.
An alternative approach, the Newgale Beach Shingle Bank Realignment Scheme (NSBRS) scheme, by Stand Up for Newgale (STUN), had proposed a section of the shingle bank at Newgale be realigned 10-12 metres to the seaward leaving an over wash barrier between it and the A487 to capture any pebbles and sea water.
The Pembrokeshire County Council proposals have been previously costed at £20m, with some raising that as high as £40m now, with consultation costs alone to date said to be some £2m.
The Pre-application Consultation runs until May 11, with plans available online; comments may be sent to [email protected] or by post: Newgale Coastal Adaptation Project Team, AtkinsRéalis, Floor 4, West Glamorgan House, 12 Orchard Street, Swansea, SA1 5AD.
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
Community
RNLI urges beachgoers to stay safe as warm weather hits Wales
Lifesaving charity warns of cold water shock risk despite rising temperatures
THE RNLI is urging people planning trips to the coast over the Bank Holiday weekend to choose lifeguarded beaches and follow essential water safety advice as warm weather draws crowds to the seaside.
With temperatures expected to rise across Wales, the lifesaving charity has warned that, although conditions may appear ideal, the sea remains dangerously cold and poses a serious risk of cold water shock.
The RNLI says the safest place to swim is between the red and yellow flags at lifeguarded beaches.
In Pembrokeshire, RNLI lifeguards will be on patrol at Whitesands, Newgale Central and Tenby South Beach throughout the May half-term, operating daily between 10:00am and 6:00pm.
Other lifeguarded beaches across Wales include Langland, Caswell, Aberavon, Pembrey, Three Cliffs and Port Eynon in Swansea; Barry Island, Coney Beach, Trecco Bay and Rest Bay in Bridgend; Llangrannog and Borth in Ceredigion; and Rhyl and Prestatyn in Denbighshire.
The RNLI is encouraging anyone unable to visit a lifeguarded beach to check local conditions before setting off, including tide times, weather forecasts and any safety signage.
Chris Cousins, the RNLI’s Regional Water Safety Lead, said: “There will likely be a huge number of people visiting the coast this weekend and we want everyone to remember Float to Live advice, which could save lives.
“Instinctively, most people who find themselves struggling in the water will begin to gasp, panic and try to swim or thrash about.
“We’re urging people to ignore this instinct and remember to float. Tilt your head back with your ears submerged, relax and try to breathe normally, and move your hands and legs to help you stay afloat if needed.”
He added that practising floating in a supervised setting, such as a swimming pool, could help prepare people in case they find themselves in difficulty.
‘Phone, Float, Throw’
The RNLI is also reminding the public to remember the “Phone, Float, Throw” guidance if they see someone struggling in the water.
People are advised to call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard, encourage the casualty to float on their back, and throw something buoyant to them, such as a life ring.
The charity recently relaunched its “Float to Live” campaign, citing new research suggesting younger adults, particularly Generation Z, may underestimate the dangers posed by the coast.
According to the RNLI, there were 193 accidental drowning deaths in the UK in 2024, with men accounting for 84 per cent of fatalities. Men aged between 20 and 29 represented the highest risk group.
The RNLI’s beach lifeguard service is marking its 25th anniversary this year.
For more information on staying safe at the coast, visit the RNLI’s Float to Live campaign.
Community
Protest planned outside police station calling for Chief Constable’s removal
Campaigners accuse Dyfed-Powys Police of failing to safeguard children in Carmarthenshire
A PROTEST calling for the removal of Dyfed-Powys Police Chief Constable Dr Richard Lewis is due to take place outside Llanelli Police Station this weekend.
The demonstration, organised by campaign group Predator Awareness and activist Zack Griffiths, is scheduled for Saturday (May 23) at 11:00am.
Promotional material shared online claims the protest is being held because the current Chief Constable has “failed to safeguard the children of Carmarthenshire”.
Campaigners are urging members of the public to gather outside Llanelli Police Station under the slogan: “No more silence. No more excuses. Protect our children.”
The specific concerns behind the protest have not been fully outlined publicly, although organisers have linked it to wider safeguarding concerns.
When approached by The Herald, Dyfed-Powys Police confirmed officers were aware of the planned demonstration.

A police spokesperson said: “We are aware of plans for a protest in Llanelli this weekend.
“We will always seek to facilitate lawful peaceful protest while balancing it with the rights of others, keeping the public safe, and preventing crime and disorder — and we encourage anyone organising a protest to contact us so we can work together to ensure any demonstrations are done safely and with respect for the wider community.”
The protest is expected to take place outside Llanelli Police Station on Saturday morning.
-
News22 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge







