Local Government
Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld
Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil
A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding public office for three years after an Adjudication Panel for Wales tribunal found he breached multiple provisions of the authority’s Code of Conduct.
Brian Rothero, who resigned from Neyland Town Council in 2025 while the investigation was ongoing, was disqualified following a remote hearing held on Wednesday (Feb 12).
The panel ruled unanimously that Mr Rothero had failed to show respect and consideration towards the council’s clerk and fellow councillors, had engaged in behaviour amounting to bullying or harassment, and had acted in a way that could bring his office or the authority into disrepute.
The sanction prevents him from acting as a councillor in any relevant authority in Wales until early 2029.
The case arose from four complaints referred by the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales between September 2023 and March 2024.
Tribunal findings
According to the Notice of Decision, the panel found breaches of:
- Paragraph 4(b) — failure to show respect and consideration
- Paragraph 4(c) — bullying or harassment
- Paragraph 6(1)(a) — bringing the office into disrepute
- Paragraph 6(1)(d) — making vexatious or inappropriate complaints
The tribunal concluded Mr Rothero had communicated with the council clerk and colleagues in a manner inconsistent with the standards expected of elected members.
The hearing was conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams and proceeded largely on written submissions rather than oral witness evidence.
The panel was chaired by Judge Meleri Tudur, sitting with members Ms S Hurds and Mrs S McRobie.
Mr Rothero has the right to seek permission to appeal to the High Court, although no appeal has yet been confirmed.
Rothero disputes findings
Speaking to The Pembrokeshire Herald on Monday (Feb 16), Mr Rothero rejected the bullying allegations and said his actions consisted of emails raising concerns about council administration.
“I wasn’t bullying anyone — I was trying to get answers and get things done,” he said.
He argued that frustration arose because of what he described as repeated non-responses to issues he raised.
Mr Rothero also questioned the fairness of the process, noting that his hearing took place on papers without witnesses, unlike the recent two-day in-person tribunal involving former councillor David Devauden.
Procedural differences between the two cases may form part of any future appeal.
Long-running tensions
The ruling is the latest development in years of conflict within Neyland Town Council, which has generated an unusually high number of standards complaints compared with other community councils in Pembrokeshire.
Mr Rothero previously faced a standards investigation relating to the Neyland Community Hub project nearly a decade ago, resulting in a censure in 2018.
More recent disputes have centred on relationships between councillors and the town clerk, with leaked correspondence revealing frustrations on multiple sides over workload, communication and expectations.
The Herald understands that interpersonal tensions within the authority have contributed to resignations and ongoing governance difficulties.
Perception of influence
Observers have also noted that official council communications are frequently issued under a collective sign-off placing the clerk’s name before the mayor and councillors — a format that has contributed to perceptions among some members and residents about where day-to-day influence within the council sits.
Legally, elected councillors remain the decision-making body, with the clerk acting as the authority’s senior officer and adviser.
Wider context
Mr Rothero’s disqualification follows the recent four-year ban imposed on former councillor David Devauden in a separate but related case involving similar allegations.
Together, the decisions underline the scale of governance challenges that have affected Neyland Town Council in recent years.
Community councils rely heavily on volunteer elected members supported by a small number of paid staff, usually one clerk, a structure that can magnify personality clashes and operational pressures when relationships break down.
The full written reasons from the Adjudication Panel for Wales are expected to be published in due course.
For Neyland Town Council, the latest ruling closes another chapter in a prolonged period of internal conflict, although questions remain about whether deeper structural issues within the authority have been resolved.
The Herald will continue to monitor developments.
Community
Call for Welsh Government decision on DARC space radar
A CALL has been lodged for the contentious DARC ‘space radar’ scheme in Pembrokeshire to be decided by Welsh Government rather than county planners.
In an application recently submitted to Pembrokeshire County Council following a public consultation, the Ministry of Defence wants to install 27 radar antenna and a long list of associated works at Cawdor Barracks, Brawdy for a worldwide network of sensors called the Deep Space Advanced Radar Concept (DARC) to track active satellites and other objects which would utilise three sites worldwide, part of the AUKUS trilateral security partnership, in the USA, the UK and Australia “enabling 360-degree coverage of the sky at all times of day and under any weather conditions”.

In late 2023, Cawdor Barracks was identified as the preferred UK site by the-then UK Defence Secretary, Grant Shapps.

A supporting statement says of the DARC scheme: “This capability is critical to protect and defend the services provided by satellites, ensuring continuity and resilience against collisions or debris-related incidents.
“Without DARC, the UK faces a significant risk of losing access to these vital services, which would have severe consequences for national security, economic stability, and public safety.”
It says the scheme would create 90 full time equivalent construction jobs, and, when operational, will result in the creation of 60 full time equivalent jobs including operation, maintenance and security staff.
St Davids City Council members recently unanimously opposed the pre-application consultation proposals, and public objectors have raised concerns with protests recently taking place outside the barracks and County Hall, Haverfordwest, and former First Minister Eluned Morgan called for the scheme to be put on hold while Donald Trump is President of the USA.

Campaign group PARC against DARC, set up in 2024 to oppose scheme, has submitted an official request to ‘call in’ the application for DARC radar to the newly formed Plaid Cymru Welsh government, citing what it describes as “an extremely promising step forward for the campaign with an anti-DARC Plaid Cymru government now elected in the Senedd”.
A ‘call-in’ means the application could be decided at Welsh Government level rather than by county planners.
Campaigners argue that DARC should be called in to Welsh Government on the basis that it is “clearly a nationally significant development that lies well outside of the scope for consideration of Pembrokeshire County Council alone,” urging that it is called in so that a “fair and appropriate consideration of the suitability of a development that is so widely opposed can be placed within the context of the national priorities of Wales going forward”.
Plaid Cymru voted at their national conference in October 2024 to take action to oppose the project.
Anyone wishing to comment on the application before the county council has until May 20.
Pembrokeshire-based Jerome Flynn, who was first famous for his roles in Soldier Soldier, Robson & Jerome and more recently Game Of Thrones has described the scheme as “the most unspeakably abominable planning application led by the US military, backed by Donald Trump to place 27 radar dishes right on the edge of our beloved coastal national park”.
Local Government
Pembrokeshire councillors suffering social media abuse
THE DUTY of care for Pembrokeshire councillors and would-be if they are subject to “the cesspit of social media” online abuse needs to be more robust, members heard.
The issue was raised when members of Pembrokeshire County Council’s May full council discussed an action plan aimed at supporting greater diversity within the council.
Speaking at the meeting, recently-elected Fishguard North councillor Billy Shaw raised the issue of social media and councillors receiving abuse, saying: “One area that puts people off is social and the amount of abuse on it.
“I’ve been subject to that recently, with a number of pictures of me sitting having a coffee in Fishguard.
“As soon as you put yourself forward social media becomes a cesspit because your political view do not match someone who’s quite vocal on social media.
“I was wondering if there’s there any way of putting protections for anyone who wants to put their name forward [to be a councillor]?
“I do know there’s a number of councillors sitting here who’ve been subject to the cesspit that is social media of late.”
Cllr Alistair Cameron shared Cllr Shaw’s concerns, saying: “I agree with Cllr Shaw, social media is a real issue; as a council we’ve got a duty to support people standing for council.”
Cllr Neil Prior said the duty of care for councillors “feels quite woolly,” adding: “You are absolutely in the front line, you can be in any situation in your community and be subject to a lot of difficult situations; I don’t think the council has a particularly strong duty of care for councillors.”
Another who raised the issue, was Haverfordwest’s Cllr Tom Tudor, who said it had been brought to his attention recently that he had been attacked on social media by an unnamed sitting member of the county council.
Cllr Shaw’s highlighting of abuse suffered by councillors followed “a petty and vindictive attempt” to land him in trouble with the Ombudsman, the abuse referenced in the meeting including claims of posts on social media and verbal abuse.
Last month, it was stated no Ombudsman investigation was to take place into Cllr Shaw following a “waste of taxpayers’ money” complaint of a claimed breach of the code of conduct.
William Cuthbert Linton Shaw, commonly known as Billy Shaw, won the Fishguard North-East ward seat for Plaid Cymru – The Party of Wales in February following a byelection called after the death of Cllr Jordan Ryan last November.
The complaint, a claimed breach of the Code of Conduct, was made following his first, March, full council meeting when he stood for a picture outside County Hall with campaign group Solidarity with Palestine, who were there for an agenda item on ‘Disinvestment in Companies profiting from Genocide’.
Cllr Shaw has previously said there were two lessons following the unsuccessful complaint: “It was a waste of the Ombudsman’s time, as it was a petty and vindictive attempt by this individual who has a long history of trolling anyone especially those in public office with a left-wing viewpoint.”
Cymraeg
Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032
NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium school, councillors heard.
The timeline was stated during discussions at Pembrokeshire County Council’s May meeting on educational matters in the county, including a revised governance arrangements for the sustainable communities for learning programme and planning for the future of Welsh medium education in the Milford Haven area.
At the meeting, Cllr Viv Stoddart reflected on a recent school panel visit to Milford Haven, saying a later private talk with pupils showed they were “acutely aware and acutely embarrassed by the situation in their school,” feeling like they were “second-class citizens”.
“Where does the school for Milford Haven sit? Is there a date for it? The state of the school has actually been a concern since 2012.”
Cllr Guy Woodham, who had earlier announced he was stepping down from his Cabinet education role, said he felt a personal disappointment to be stepping down before there was “a spade in the ground”.
He told members his understanding was the outline business case was due to be submitted to Welsh Government in June.
Mike Cavanagh, Head of Culture, Leisure, and School Modernisation told members the to-date £143m scheme needed a robust business case to Welsh Government, which had to be followed to gain approximately two-thirds funding; the final business case expected in 2027, with hopes the English Medium element of the new school would be built in 2030, and a new Welsh Medium in 2032.
In relation to Welsh medium education in the Milford area, a report for members said a 2025 Cabinet meeting had backed the Director of Education be given approval to commence the school organisation process to establish a new 3-11 Welsh medium school in Milford Haven, with a decision now sought to commence statutory consultation.
It said there were currently 19 Welsh-medium schools in Pembrokeshire, but no Welsh-medium school physically located within Milford Haven itself, one of Pembrokeshire’s largest population centres.
It said: “The establishment of a new Welsh-medium primary school in Milford Haven would address the demand evident within the wider Milford Haven area and provide an opportunity to review and rebalance Welsh-medium catchment boundaries.”
Members backed the recommendation to commence statutory consultation on establishing a new Welsh medium primary school to serve the Milford Haven area.
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime7 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime7 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime7 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime7 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime7 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime7 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station







