News
Seven new stations promised as UK and Welsh Governments unveil rail investment plan
Prime Minister backs long-term vision for Welsh rail with funding commitments, but questions remain over delivery timelines and regional balance
RAIL services across Wales could be transformed under a new long-term investment plan jointly backed by the UK and Welsh Governments, with seven new railway stations promised and thousands of jobs projected.
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer is due to formally endorse the Transport for Wales vision for the network on Wednesday (Feb 18), committing Westminster to work alongside the Welsh Government to deliver what ministers describe as a “generational” programme of improvements.
The announcement includes plans for new stations at Magor and Undy, Llanwern, Cardiff East, Newport West, Somerton, Cardiff Parkway, and Deeside Industrial Park in north Wales. Nearly £500m allocated in the latest Spending Review is expected to help fund the initial projects, alongside wider schemes that could total up to £14bn over coming decades.
The programme is projected to support around 12,000 jobs across Wales, including construction roles and employment linked to improved transport connections.
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: “For too long, Wales has been let down by a UK government unwilling to do the hard yards and build the future they deserve.
“This government is turning the page on historic dither and delay with seven new stations, thousands of jobs, and a generational commitment to build a rail network fit for Wales’ future.”
Welsh First Minister Eluned Morgan welcomed the announcement, saying cooperation between governments had created a “renewed ambition” for rail.
She said: “Changes of this scale don’t happen overnight but they do happen when there is vision, determination, and cooperation. We’ve already proved that with the Core Valley Lines.”
The investment builds on existing Welsh Government spending, including £1.1bn on the Core Valley Lines electrification and £800m on new trains.
Transport for Wales chair Vernon Everitt described the programme as an “ambitious agenda” that would improve access to jobs, housing and education, while increasing rail usage and reducing car journeys.
However, opposition figures and campaigners have previously warned that Wales has historically received lower levels of rail infrastructure funding compared with other parts of the UK, particularly due to the classification of the HS2 project as an England-and-Wales scheme.
Critics have also raised concerns that most of the newly announced stations are concentrated in south-east Wales, with fewer direct benefits for rural communities and west Wales, where rail connectivity challenges remain significant.
There are also questions about delivery timescales. While work on the five south-east Wales stations is expected to begin later this year, construction of some projects may not start until the end of the decade, with full completion dependent on future funding settlements.
The UK Government said the wider programme could generate £6.3bn in economic benefits, create up to 13.3 million additional rail journeys annually, and reduce millions of car trips, cutting carbon emissions.
Secretary of State for Wales Jo Stevens said: “After years of underinvestment in Welsh infrastructure, this UK Government is modernising and upgrading Welsh rail.
“This investment… will better connect people with the well-paid jobs we are creating across the country and drive economic growth.”
Further details on funding allocations and project timelines are expected to emerge following additional business case work and future Spending Reviews.
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






