Local Government
Search begins for five bodies possibly buried beneath County Hall car park
A SEARCH is underway to determine whether the remains of five executed prisoners from the nineteenth century may still lie beneath a council-owned car park in Carmarthen.
A deep-ground scan was carried out at the Carmarthenshire County Hall site on Sunday (Feb 15), where the former Carmarthen prison once stood. The investigation is focusing on the possible burial locations of four convicted murderers and one convicted forger who were executed between 1818 and 1894, when prison gardens occupied the land now used for parking.
The survey was conducted using a digital ground-penetrating radar system operated by Shane Gwilt of Leica Geosystems. The findings have been sent overseas for specialist analysis, with results expected within the next week.
County Hall stands on the historic site of Carmarthen Gaol, which closed in 1922. Although the prison buildings were demolished in the 1930s, local historian and former Mayor of Carmarthen, Richard Goodridge, believes the bodies were never exhumed and may remain in their original graves.
Carmarthenshire County Council has confirmed it has no intention of disturbing or removing any remains should they be identified.

Richard Goodridge said: “I strongly believe, based on the evidence and research I have carried out over the last two years, that the remains of these five convicted felons, hanged for their crimes, still remain where they were buried after their execution.
“It is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle that, if confirmed, will lay to rest a great mystery that has fascinated Carmarthen residents for over a hundred years. It is unbelievable that the bodies were not exhumed when the prison was demolished.
“Finding them will at least bring to an end a mystery worthy of a Sherlock Holmes novel.”
Carmarthenshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Resources, Cllr Alun Lenny, said the investigation had been carried out without disruption or cost to the authority.
He said: “The work carried out on Sunday in an attempt to discover the remains of the five executed criminals didn’t disturb the car park surface in any way and was at no cost to the county council. But it may add another chapter to the colourful history of Carmarthen as Wales’ oldest town, so we await the results with anticipation.”
Community
Health chiefs to be questioned over Withybush hospital service changes
HEALTH BOARD members are to be quizzed by Pembrokeshire councillors next month over changes to services at Withybush Hospital.
At the March meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council, an emergency notice of motion by the council’s 11-strong Conservative Party group demanded that the Welsh Government immediately reverses the decision to cease emergency general surgery at Withybush Hospital.
Last year, Hywel Dda University Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.
At a two-day meeting earlier this year, the board, amongst its many other decisions, backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).
At the March council meeting, the Conservative council group, led by Cllr Di Clements, proposed a motion which read: “This council requests that the Labour Welsh Government intervenes in Hywel Dda University Health Board’s recent decision to cease emergency general surgery at Withybush hospital and immediately reverses their decision.
“We believe removing this service critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A&E department.
“Also, the decision by the Health Board does not take into account the impact and potential serious risks it will have on Pembrokeshire residents.”
Cllr Clements’ supporting statement, which included a call for the-then Leader Cllr Jon Harvery to write to the First Minister and Welsh Government, said Pembrokeshire residents “have seen continual downgrading of services over the years, and this has been detrimental to all residents,” adding: “We believe this recent decision is life threatening to those who need emergency surgery and a matter of resident’s safety.”
At the meeting, Cllr Michael John said “there had been an erosion of services for many years,” supporting Cllr Clements’ call, but proposing the addition of calling on the health board to meet with councillors.
Following the request by Cllr Clements, Leader Cllr Jon Harvey agreed to any letter writing, saying he had “fought long and hard to return services to Withybush”.
Members backed Cllr Clements’ call, with Cllr John’s amendment added.
Since then an update was received at the May 14 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council.
A report for members said, following the March meeting, Cllr Harvey, wrote to the-then First Minister Eluned Morgan on March 10, with Chief Executive Will Bramble also writing to the chief executive of Hywel Dda University Health Board advising him of council’s decision on the same date, requesting his and the Board chair’s attendance at the May council meeting.
It said, since then, Health Board Chair Dr Neil Wooding and Chief Executive Professor Phil Kloer have agreed to attend an Extraordinary Meeting of the council on June 15 to brief the council on service changes and specifically the issue of emergency general surgery, with members having the opportunity to ask questions on the presentation.
Members agreed to note the report ahead of the special June meeting.
Local Government
Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints
Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed
ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.
Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.
The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.
Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.
He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.
“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”
The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.
Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.
Photo caption:
Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)
Local Government
Former Pembrokeshire council leader speaks about ‘getting on with the job’
PEMBROKESHIRE’S former leader Cllr Jon Harvey has spoken of his two years in the role, saying it “is not about photo opportunities, and not about headlines, but getting on with the job”.
Pembroke St Mary North member Cllr Harvey became leader in May 2024, replacing Cllr David Simpson, having previously served on his Cabinet.
After Cllr Harvey’s announcement he would not continue as leader, a three-way all-women challenge was held for the leadership role, with Cllr Tessa Hodgson beating Cllr Anji Tinley by one vote to become leader.
Speaking at the AGM just before the leadership battle, Cllr Harvey outlined a record of his time as leader.
Giving thanks to his predecessor in the leader role, Cllr David Simpson, he said: “It’s been an absolutely great honour to lead the council for the past two years, building on the work of David Simpson and my time in Cabinet.”
He also thanked fellow Cabinet colleagues and staff for their “commitment and professionalism,” and his wife Sarah and friends and family, saying: “If you do this role properly it’s 24-7; I’ve only had 10 days off in the last two years, it goes with the territory.”
He added: “As an administration We have much to be proud of, regeneration and investment of our town centres, with the Haverfordwest interchange and the ‘signature bridge’ open in Haverfordwest and the works at Haverfordwest Castle, and I’m confident of a formal announcement for retail at the old Wilko site.
“In Pembroke works are happening at important listed buildings that were left decaying pre-2017, with South Quay due to open in 2027, bringing added footfall into the town and saving on the social services budget.”
He said that while there were many naysayers to the costs of these projects, “the reality is we have secured significant amounts of grants, minimising the burden on the taxpayers”.
On education, Cllr Harvey said he was “particularly pleased with the opening of Ysgol Penfro in 2024,” and the administration was “committed to a new secondary in Milford Haven,” adding the performance figures as a local authority for A levels and GCSEs had improved.
He said Pembrokeshire now had the third highest number of affordable housing schemes based on population in Wales, and there had been significant investment in leisure facilities, with plans for new centres in Pembroke and Milford Haven, along with a new library in Narberth.
He finished by saying: “Leadership is not about photo opportunities, and not about headlines, but getting on with the job,” adding the three-way all-women contest for his former role would “make history,” and was “something to celebrate in itself”.
Presiding member Cllr Simon Hancock described Cllr Harvey as “an exemplary leader,” adding: “We are indebted to you to a very great extent.”
A vote of thanks for Cllr Harvey was later held, with Cllr Paul Miller saying: “The county owe their thanks [to Cllr Harvey] even if the majority don’t know it; such is politics.”
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station







