Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Kurtz’s “Best local pub” competition returns for second year

Published

on

Nominations open across West Wales as communities invited to celebrate favourite venues

SAMUEL KURTZ MS has announced the return of his “Best Local Pub” competition for a second year, giving residents across West Wales the chance to recognise the pubs that sit at the heart of their communities.

Local pubs are often far more than places to enjoy a drink — they act as social hubs, meeting points, cultural venues and important employers. The competition aims to highlight the vital role these businesses play in bringing people together, supporting jobs and contributing to the regional economy.

Sam Kurtz

Last year’s inaugural competition proved popular, with The Ivy Bush in Narberth crowned overall winner and The Highgate Inn in Hundleton named runner-up.

Mr Kurtz said he was pleased to expand the initiative this year to include nominations from across the whole of West Wales.

He said: “Last year’s competition was a huge success, and it was fantastic to see so many communities getting behind their local pubs. We’re thrilled to bring it back for a second year and give even more venues the opportunity to be recognised for the invaluable role they play.”

Figures underline the sector’s importance to the local economy. Across Mid and South Pembrokeshire there are around 162 pubs and five breweries, supporting approximately 1,175 jobs and contributing an estimated £57 million annually. In the Ceredigion Penfro area, 161 pubs and five breweries support around 1,800 jobs and contribute £59 million to the economy.

Residents can nominate their favourite pub via the website www.samuelkurtz.wales or through Mr Kurtz’s social media channels. Nominations are open throughout February, with the winning pub receiving a prize that includes a free barrel of standard beer of their choice, sponsored by Templeton Beer, Wine and Spirit Co.

Mr Kurtz added: “Let’s work together to shine a spotlight on the pubs that have made a difference in our lives and continue to play a pivotal role in our towns and villages.”

 

Community

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

Published

on

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON

FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.

Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.

Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.

A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.

Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.

Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.

Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.

The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.

A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.

Photo captions:

Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).

 

Continue Reading

Business

New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed

Published

on

A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.

In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.

A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”

It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”

It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.

It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.

“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”

It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”

The application was conditionally approved by planners.

 

Continue Reading

Community

RNLI urges beachgoers to stay safe as warm weather hits Wales

Published

on

Lifesaving charity warns of cold water shock risk despite rising temperatures

THE RNLI is urging people planning trips to the coast over the Bank Holiday weekend to choose lifeguarded beaches and follow essential water safety advice as warm weather draws crowds to the seaside.

With temperatures expected to rise across Wales, the lifesaving charity has warned that, although conditions may appear ideal, the sea remains dangerously cold and poses a serious risk of cold water shock.

The RNLI says the safest place to swim is between the red and yellow flags at lifeguarded beaches.

In Pembrokeshire, RNLI lifeguards will be on patrol at Whitesands, Newgale Central and Tenby South Beach throughout the May half-term, operating daily between 10:00am and 6:00pm.

Other lifeguarded beaches across Wales include Langland, Caswell, Aberavon, Pembrey, Three Cliffs and Port Eynon in Swansea; Barry Island, Coney Beach, Trecco Bay and Rest Bay in Bridgend; Llangrannog and Borth in Ceredigion; and Rhyl and Prestatyn in Denbighshire.

The RNLI is encouraging anyone unable to visit a lifeguarded beach to check local conditions before setting off, including tide times, weather forecasts and any safety signage.

Chris Cousins, the RNLI’s Regional Water Safety Lead, said: “There will likely be a huge number of people visiting the coast this weekend and we want everyone to remember Float to Live advice, which could save lives.

“Instinctively, most people who find themselves struggling in the water will begin to gasp, panic and try to swim or thrash about.

“We’re urging people to ignore this instinct and remember to float. Tilt your head back with your ears submerged, relax and try to breathe normally, and move your hands and legs to help you stay afloat if needed.”

He added that practising floating in a supervised setting, such as a swimming pool, could help prepare people in case they find themselves in difficulty.

‘Phone, Float, Throw’

The RNLI is also reminding the public to remember the “Phone, Float, Throw” guidance if they see someone struggling in the water.

People are advised to call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard, encourage the casualty to float on their back, and throw something buoyant to them, such as a life ring.

The charity recently relaunched its “Float to Live” campaign, citing new research suggesting younger adults, particularly Generation Z, may underestimate the dangers posed by the coast.

According to the RNLI, there were 193 accidental drowning deaths in the UK in 2024, with men accounting for 84 per cent of fatalities. Men aged between 20 and 29 represented the highest risk group.

The RNLI’s beach lifeguard service is marking its 25th anniversary this year.

For more information on staying safe at the coast, visit the RNLI’s Float to Live campaign.

 

Continue Reading

Business2 hours ago

Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview

LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under...

Community3 hours ago

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair...

Local Government3 days ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community3 days ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime3 days ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community3 days ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government3 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community4 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime4 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News5 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

Popular This Week