Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Final closure decision set for Clydau and Manorbier schools after earlier vote

Published

on

Extraordinary council meeting will consider objections before final ruling

THE FUTURE of two Pembrokeshire schools will be decided in June, despite councillors already backing plans in principle to close them.

Pembrokeshire County Council has confirmed that an extraordinary Full Council meeting will take place on Monday (June 15) to consider objection reports relating to the proposed discontinuation of Ysgol Clydau and Manorbier Church in Wales VC School.

The meeting represents the final stage in the statutory process, where councillors will decide whether to proceed with closure after reviewing formal objections.

The Herald understands that the extraordinary session has been called because the timetable for the proposals does not align with regular council meeting dates.

Last chance to overturn decision

Although councillors have already voted in favour of closure in principle, the June meeting is not a formality.

Campaigners still have a narrow window to influence the outcome, with councillors able to change their position after considering objections and any new evidence.

In rare cases, proposals have been halted or reversed at this final stage — particularly where strong community opposition or concerns over the accuracy of data have been raised.

However, the earlier vote means the schools remain at significant risk, with the council having already indicated its preferred direction.

Political pressure building

The confirmation comes amid growing community concern and a mounting campaign to save Ysgol Clydau.

Campaign group Save Ysgol Clydau – Cadw Clydau yn Gadarn has described the situation as a “critical moment,” urging residents to challenge political parties ahead of the upcoming elections.

Supporters argue that the future of the school is closely tied to the survival of rural communities and the Welsh language.

The group has also thanked councillors — particularly members of the Independent group — for their support.

Decision looming

The June 15 meeting is expected to draw significant public attention, with strong attendance likely as councillors prepare to make a final, legally binding decision.

If approved, the proposal would result in the closure of both schools.

 

Education

£1,500 cash bursary announced for aspiring local youngsters

Published

on

FOLLOWING its previous success, Ceredigion Youth Service is fortunate to accept another opportunity provided by West Wales Holiday Cottages to support young people with a cash bursary this year.

The purpose of the bursary is to provide young people aged between 11 and 25 with the chance to receive £1,500 to help with their future aspirations. The successful applicant(s) will be chosen by Ceredigion Youth Forum, which is a panel made up of young people from Ceredigion.

Gwion Bowen, Senior Support Officer Participation, said: “We are very grateful to West Wales Holiday Cottages for providing us with this opportunity for young people in Ceredigion for the ninth year in succession. Like ourselves, West Wales Holiday Cottages recognise that many young people living in Ceredigion may experience difficulties in accessing training, support and social activities due to socio-economic issues. The bursary was extremely successful last year, with a young person gaining financial support to help them with their mobile beauty start up business.”

Councillor Wyn Thomas, Cabinet for Schools and Lifelong Learning, said: “I would like to encourage anyone aged between 11 and 25 who needs financial support to reach their goals to consider this fantastic opportunity. As with previous years, I hope that the bursary is a success again this year, and that it will benefit young people in Ceredigion.”

Lisa Stopher, Managing Director at West Wales Holiday Cottages said, “West Wales Holiday Cottages are delighted to be supporting the bursary once again in partnership with Ceredigion Youth Service. We recognise that many young people can face barriers when accessing opportunities, training and resources, and we hope this bursary will continue to make a positive difference by giving young people the support they need to pursue their goals and aspirations.”

Do you need financial support to reach your goals? Would you benefit from having financial support to help you with training or equipment that is required for your chosen vocation? Are you looking for support to start your own enterprise? Are you a member of a community group and looking for financial support to purchase resources or equipment?

The closing date for applications is midnight on 19 July 2026. If you’re interested, contact Gwion Bowen on 07790 812939 or e-mail [email protected] for an application form.

 

Continue Reading

Education

Ashmole & Co fund future accountants with financial donation to primary school

Published

on

CARMARTHENSHIRE’S would-be mathematicians are being given a major boost in their careers thanks to an Ashmole & Co donation to Ysgol Llandybie Primary School.

The donation, funded by the company’s Ammanford office, will help with the annual purchase of the online MyMaths resource which uses the online resource to help pupils and parents with the teaching of maths at home as well as allowing teachers to set tasks and provide them with tutorials to show them the mathematical concepts being taught.
The programme can assist in all areas of mathematics from shape to space, and from data to financial literacy.

Laura Craddock, Partner in Ashmole & Co’s Ammanford office, said, “We are always keen
to offer our support locally. We are more than happy to help fund the online resource
MyMaths to help train the local accountants of the future from a young age.”

Llandybie Primary School Head Teacher, Rhian Pritchard, said, “We are keen to continue
using online resources to enhance our pupils’ learning experience but they come at an extra
cost. We are grateful to Ashmole and Co for the donation which will enable us to continue
the provision of online maths learning.”

 

Continue Reading

Cymraeg

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

Published

on

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium school, councillors heard.

The timeline was stated during discussions at Pembrokeshire County Council’s May meeting on educational matters in the county, including a revised governance arrangements for the sustainable communities for learning programme and planning for the future of Welsh medium education in the Milford Haven area.

At the meeting, Cllr Viv Stoddart reflected on a recent school panel visit to Milford Haven, saying a later private talk with pupils showed they were “acutely aware and acutely embarrassed by the situation in their school,” feeling like they were “second-class citizens”.

“Where does the school for Milford Haven sit? Is there a date for it? The state of the school has actually been a concern since 2012.”

Cllr Guy Woodham, who had earlier announced he was stepping down from his Cabinet education role, said he felt a personal disappointment to be stepping down before there was “a spade in the ground”.

He told members his understanding was the outline business case was due to be submitted to Welsh Government in June.

Mike Cavanagh, Head of Culture, Leisure, and School Modernisation told members the to-date £143m scheme needed a robust business case to Welsh Government, which had to be followed to gain approximately two-thirds funding; the final business case expected in 2027, with hopes the English Medium element of the new school would be built in 2030, and a new Welsh Medium in 2032.

In relation to Welsh medium education in the Milford area, a report for members said a 2025 Cabinet meeting had backed the Director of Education be given approval to commence the school organisation process to establish a new 3-11 Welsh medium school in Milford Haven, with a decision now sought to commence statutory consultation.

It said there were currently 19 Welsh-medium schools in Pembrokeshire, but no Welsh-medium school physically located within Milford Haven itself, one of Pembrokeshire’s largest population centres.

It said: “The establishment of a new Welsh-medium primary school in Milford Haven would address the demand evident within the wider Milford Haven area and provide an opportunity to review and rebalance Welsh-medium catchment boundaries.”

Members backed the recommendation to commence statutory consultation on establishing a new Welsh medium primary school to serve the Milford Haven area.

 

Continue Reading

Community1 hour ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime4 hours ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News17 hours ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News22 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg1 day ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime2 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community2 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime2 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health3 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community4 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Popular This Week