Community
Music in the air as record numbers join school festival
A RECORD number of young musicians from across Pembrokeshire took part in this year’s Valero Primary Music Festival, with nearly 600 pupils showcasing their talents.
The event, organised by Pembrokeshire Music Service, was held at Ysgol Caer Elen on Saturday (March 14), drawing a large and enthusiastic audience.
The festival’s overall winner was Hafan y Môr pupil Carys Meiring, who impressed judges with a standout trombone performance of Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off. She had earlier secured victory in the open brass class.

Young talent shines
The afternoon Spotlight concert opened with an energetic performance from the county’s Second Steps ensembles, bringing together young players from across Pembrokeshire.
Winners from the day’s open classes also took to the stage, highlighting the depth of musical talent across local schools.
Osian Kite, of Roch CP School, won the open woodwind class with a performance of Sentimental Serenade on alto saxophone.
Cadi Marshall-Jones, from Ysgol Bro Preseli, claimed the open piano and harp title with Over the Sea to Skye, while Roch CP School cellist Mari Broomfield won the open strings category with Vamoose.
In percussion, Ysgol Caer Elen’s Aled Hooper secured first place in the open class with a drum kit performance of Are You Gonna Go My Way.
The open ensemble prize went to Tavernspite pupils Finn Hickman and Evelyn James, whose piano duet of Handel’s Passacaglia impressed both judges and audience.
Building confidence through music
Head of Pembrokeshire Music Service, Philippa Roberts said the festival continues to play a vital role in developing young performers.
She said: “Pembrokeshire Music Service is proud to deliver the Valero Music Festival, offering an exciting opportunity to nearly 600 young performers from across the county.
“Providing children with the chance to perform, shine, and receive supportive feedback from professional musicians is incredibly powerful and helps build lasting confidence.
“In line with the Music Plan for Wales, we remain committed to creating meaningful musical experiences for children throughout Pembrokeshire. Our sincere thanks go to Valero for their fantastic support.”
The festival forms part of a wider effort to promote music education across Wales, encouraging participation and nurturing the next generation of performers.
Photo caption:
Talented performers: Overall winner Carys Meiring is pictured with fellow category winners and organisers (Pic: Pembrokeshire Music Service).
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
Community
RNLI urges beachgoers to stay safe as warm weather hits Wales
Lifesaving charity warns of cold water shock risk despite rising temperatures
THE RNLI is urging people planning trips to the coast over the Bank Holiday weekend to choose lifeguarded beaches and follow essential water safety advice as warm weather draws crowds to the seaside.
With temperatures expected to rise across Wales, the lifesaving charity has warned that, although conditions may appear ideal, the sea remains dangerously cold and poses a serious risk of cold water shock.
The RNLI says the safest place to swim is between the red and yellow flags at lifeguarded beaches.
In Pembrokeshire, RNLI lifeguards will be on patrol at Whitesands, Newgale Central and Tenby South Beach throughout the May half-term, operating daily between 10:00am and 6:00pm.
Other lifeguarded beaches across Wales include Langland, Caswell, Aberavon, Pembrey, Three Cliffs and Port Eynon in Swansea; Barry Island, Coney Beach, Trecco Bay and Rest Bay in Bridgend; Llangrannog and Borth in Ceredigion; and Rhyl and Prestatyn in Denbighshire.
The RNLI is encouraging anyone unable to visit a lifeguarded beach to check local conditions before setting off, including tide times, weather forecasts and any safety signage.
Chris Cousins, the RNLI’s Regional Water Safety Lead, said: “There will likely be a huge number of people visiting the coast this weekend and we want everyone to remember Float to Live advice, which could save lives.
“Instinctively, most people who find themselves struggling in the water will begin to gasp, panic and try to swim or thrash about.
“We’re urging people to ignore this instinct and remember to float. Tilt your head back with your ears submerged, relax and try to breathe normally, and move your hands and legs to help you stay afloat if needed.”
He added that practising floating in a supervised setting, such as a swimming pool, could help prepare people in case they find themselves in difficulty.
‘Phone, Float, Throw’
The RNLI is also reminding the public to remember the “Phone, Float, Throw” guidance if they see someone struggling in the water.
People are advised to call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard, encourage the casualty to float on their back, and throw something buoyant to them, such as a life ring.
The charity recently relaunched its “Float to Live” campaign, citing new research suggesting younger adults, particularly Generation Z, may underestimate the dangers posed by the coast.
According to the RNLI, there were 193 accidental drowning deaths in the UK in 2024, with men accounting for 84 per cent of fatalities. Men aged between 20 and 29 represented the highest risk group.
The RNLI’s beach lifeguard service is marking its 25th anniversary this year.
For more information on staying safe at the coast, visit the RNLI’s Float to Live campaign.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge







