Business
Calls for award-winning Pembrokeshire sauna to be permanent
CALLS to allow the permanent siting of an award-winning Pembrokeshire seaside village outdoor sauna, which has been featured in the national press, have been submitted to the national park.
Back in June 2024, a temporary two-year permission for a mobile wood-fired sauna at Saundersfoot harbour was granted by Pembrokeshire Coast National Park’s development management committee.
Since then, a further application by Kerry Evans of Hwyl Outdoor Sauna to make the siting permanent has been submitted to national park planners.
A supporting statement says, since its introduction the sauna has “become a popular and valued amenity for both residents and visitors, offering a space focussed on health, wellbeing and community connection”.
It went on to say: “The overall sentiment within the village has been strongly supportive, with many residents recognising the sauna as a valuable asset that enhances the amenities in Saundersfoot,” adding: “Hwyl Outdoor Sauna has received positive attention in regional and national press helping to promote Saundersfoot as a destination for coastal wellbeing and outdoor experiences.
“Media coverage has highlighted the sauna as an example of the increasing popularity of sea swimming and sauna culture around the UK coastline.
“Hwyl Outdoor Sauna has been featured in two books on the best saunas in the UK.
“The business has also been recognised through tourism and hospitality awards, further demonstrating the quality of the experience provided and the positive contribution it makes to the local visitor offer.”

Back in February, the business, set up by former superyacht worker and mum-of-two Kerry won Sauna of the Year 2026/27 at the Wales Prestige Awards.
At the time Kerry said: “I could not be more proud of what I have achieved with Hwyl. I am so grateful to my wonderful team, who have made this journey not only possible but genuinely so much fun.”
Kerry ploughed a legacy from her beloved late father into the venture of a Pembrokeshire seafront sauna.
The application for allowing the sauna to be permanent added: “Through the Welsh Government I have been able to secure the funds to install a cold-water shower on Saundersfoot Harbour, which will be open year-round. This will be achieved via Hywel Outdoor Sauna and a weather proofing fund, from the Welsh Government. This facility has also a GoFundMe to raise the remaining costs.”
It concludes: “Hwyl Outdoor Sauna has established itself as a valued wellbeing facility that benefits both residents and visitors. It enhances the amenities available in Saundersfoot, supports the local economy by encouraging additional visitor activity, and contributes positively to the community through charitable support and engagement.
“The permanent siting of the sauna would allow this successful local small business to continue operating and provide these benefits to the village in a stable and sustainable way.”
The application for a permanent facility will be considered by park planners at a later date.
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
Business
St Davids GP surgery plans lodged with national park
PLANS to convert a former GP surgery in Pembrokeshire’s only city to a home and holiday let have been lodged with the national park.
In an application to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Alice and Danjal Joensen, through agent Oochitecture, seek permission for a change of use of the ground floor of the former GP surgery, Eryl Mor, 36, New Street, St Davids, merging with the existing first-floor apartment to create a larger single dwelling house, along with the creation of an attached short-term holiday let.
The GP surgery is currently vacant, following its closure in October 2024 after new partners could not be secured.

A supporting statement says, prior to being a GP surgery, the two storey element was a single dwelling house.
It adds: “The house would consist of an open plan kitchen-living space to the ground floor, along with a study, lounge and utility room. The first floor includes four double bedrooms with ensuite and main bathroom.
“The new unit of accommodation would form a holiday-let with two double bedrooms, shower room, and an open plan kitchen-living space.
“The GP surgery is currently vacant, following its closure in October 2024 after new partners could not be secured, therefore the proposed change of use will provide a viable long-term future use for the property.”
It says minimal external alterations are proposed to the property with existing entrances utilised for both the main house and holiday-let, adding: “The existing concrete ramp to the front elevation will be retained with proposed works including extending the upper level and steps to provide a connection to the front door, allowing for accessible entrance to the property.
“There will be no changes to vehicular or pedestrian access, with the site continuing to be accessed via the existing entrance from New Street. Parking will be provided for the main house and holiday-let on the existing tarmac driveway off New Street.”
The application will be considered by Park planners at a later date.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






